Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to feel sorry for inanimate objects light hearted

(157 Posts)
Antisocialarsebadger Tue 24-Oct-17 17:25:03

Just that really. We came back from holiday yesterday and the washing machine must have been on 4 times since then. I've just snuck up to it and put another load in, I felt decidedly guilty at the look on it's (non existent) washing machine face. I could have sworn it looked knackered. Haven't the heart to tell it there's another lot going on before bed. Does anyone else feel like this about objects or am I just alone here.

chitofftheshovel Tue 24-Oct-17 17:27:55

You snuck up on it. You'll have to commando roll the next load and take it (her?) unawares.

TheChippendenSpook Tue 24-Oct-17 17:29:49

I know how you feel. I imagine inanimate objects have feelings too hmm blush

dudsville Tue 24-Oct-17 17:29:54

I bet she's pleased, you're reintroducing meaning in her life after a brief abandonment!

MoistCantaloupe Tue 24-Oct-17 17:31:24

This is very cruel.

MyKryptonite Tue 24-Oct-17 17:32:21

Um. I am going to sound crackers but I have been known to talk to my boyfriend's ancient and occasionally reluctant boiler.. 'Come on Hector, I know you're an old guy but I really need to get these dishes done.. help me out here?' or 'Right Hector, I'd like to have a bath please, can I have some hot water?' (Yes, I named him. blush ) I do feel sorry for him sometimes when there's a lot to do.. like I say, he's an old man.

Antisocialarsebadger Tue 24-Oct-17 17:34:57

Oh thank God it's not just me. This washer has been going for seven years with a family of six so it's a pretty hard bastard. The tumbler, on the other hand is new. It's loving the attention

steppedonlego Tue 24-Oct-17 18:07:20

I got new wardrobes a few years ago. The night before I cried and stroked the old ones, firmly reassuring them they were going to a good home (I gave them to a friend) felt bonkers even as I was doing it.

pompomcat Tue 24-Oct-17 18:09:50

Love this thread @Antisocialarsebadger. Hahaha at the tired washing machine face! (I am busy apologising to the vacuum cleaner after our builder fed it a load of rubble for lunch).

NoKidsTwoCats Tue 24-Oct-17 18:10:32

Not so much that example but if someone puts on a 'sad' voice for an inanimate object it can make me feel guilty.

As an example if I swear at, say, my laptop for being slow and someone were to say (in faux sad laptop voice): 'please don't swear at me, I'm trying my hardest but I'm old and tired 🙁' then I would feel guilty.

Anyone else? No? Just me then...

ShimmeringBollox Tue 24-Oct-17 18:11:17

I am sure it will be fine if you whisper "I love you" and give it a service wash... as a treat.

InsomniacAnonymous Tue 24-Oct-17 18:13:15

My daughter's like that. She's grown up and left home now, but when she was younger (even as old as a teenager) she used to feel sorry for anything I picked up in a shop and then put down again. Apparently "It thought it was coming home with us" sad

grin

Be3Al2Si6O18 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:16:21

Yes, I feel sorry for my underwear when I have picked up a nice Indian takeaway. But I then think, its you or my jeans, and the jeans have not been brought up to that kind of world.

Allabitmuchisntit Tue 24-Oct-17 18:18:25

I've just shoved my old fridge freezer into the back garden ready for collection.

It's doors came off in the tussle.

That white good is older than my 15yr old dd.

I feel so bad. Think I'm going to have to throw a sheet over it or something, so it stops looking at me.

Cornettoninja Tue 24-Oct-17 18:20:52

I blame children's books. I particularly remember one about a crayon that was a crap colour and never got used (teal I think) so was sad a lot.

InsomniacAnonymous Tue 24-Oct-17 18:23:33

Be3Al2Si6O18 Huh? I don't get it.

Cornettoninja How is Teal a crap colour? It's a beautiful colour. angry

Jammydodger81 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:23:42

insomniac my dd used to get upset at birthday cakes in the reduced section, she’d try and persuade me to buy them and put candles on so they could fulfill their purpose! It was even worse if they had a face.

TellMeDinosaurFacts Tue 24-Oct-17 18:26:21

I have a friend called Kevin who helps me with the cleaning. I occasionally prefer him to my husband and always feel sorry for him when we go away for any length of time. Kevin is my robot vacuum cleaner (Roomba) and he is TOTALLY personified.

Clawdy Tue 24-Oct-17 18:27:59

I always used to pop a cover on DD's dolls if they were in their little cots! Couldn't bear to see them looking cold.

rainbowlou Tue 24-Oct-17 18:28:24

I may be guilty of telling off my children for being a bit unkind to Siri blush

Laska5772 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:29:43

Someone is coming to get my old sofa on Thursday.. It doesn't know this yet.. I feel dreadful. I have had it 20 years and have loved that sofa. I

The worse thing is that I don't really want it to go .I read stories to my now adult DS on that sofa.. . but DH has never liked it and we have now finally now bought a new one ..

Oh god that's it ..I'm sending the new one back.. sad

Laska5772 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:31:20

I hope it cant read,but I am typing this in another room, but what if my laptop tells it what I have just typed.. ? (cry)

mrsnolasco Tue 24-Oct-17 18:37:42

I can never leave just one thing on its own. If there are 2 things in a shop for sale I have to buy both or none. Same with biscuits etc. If there are 2 left I won't have one (although dh is trying to fatten me up and says oh but it's the last one. He knows I won't let it be lonely)

SevenOf1981 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:51:34

I started the dishwasher then realised if left a spoon on the side.
I opened the door and actually said sorry! Like I'd peeked into a private world I'm.not supposed to see!

Nikephorus Tue 24-Oct-17 18:53:13

I always imagined I was the only one.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now