Talk

Advanced search

... to think this is not eczema?

(11 Posts)
crazycatlady5 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:01:24

Soz, posting for traffic!

Does anyone have any experience of bacterial infections caused by eczema and/or hand foot and mouth?

My husband has been to the doctor as we suspect he has the latter but they said it was the former. He said he felt the doctor was rude and wasn’t really listening. Symptoms are:

- fever of 39.4
- sort throat
- flu like feelings
- spots all over his lips and in his mouth

To me this definitely sounds like HFM but has anyone had a bacterial infection like this?

Thanks in advance

Mrsdraper1 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:07:19

Are you sure they said eczema? Eczema is a skin condition.

MrsG841 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:09:35

Most definitely not eczema I have it n so do both my kids

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Oct-17 15:11:19

Unfortunately it has to run its course, and antibiotics dont help. Just use Ibuprofen and paracetamol, and take it easy.
beta.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/

crazycatlady5 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:13:49

@mrsdraper1 he has severe eczema and has done since a child, the worst I’ve ever seen, and the doctor said the virus is actually just a bacterial infection caused by it but I definitely think it’s HFM! Thanks all I guess I wanted to know for sure so I can prepare for the absolute hell of my 9 month old catching it sad

bestwayforward Tue 24-Oct-17 15:14:35

Are sure its not herpes

TammyswansonTwo Tue 24-Oct-17 16:04:14

What about herpetic eczema? I think it's called? I know of a few kids who've had it (cause by a virus that gets into the eczema) and it's utterly horrific. Not sure whether adults can get it - how severe and widespread is it?

jensner Tue 24-Oct-17 16:27:50

It could be infected eczema - DD1 has had both bacterial and viral infections (herpeticum as mentioned by a PP is a viral infection and tends to be very painful. Both can cause high temperatures). Look at pictures of herpeticum online - it’s very distinctive and needs treated very differently. It is rare, though.

Mrsdraper1 Tue 24-Oct-17 16:41:44

If it's bacterial then antibiotics would help, if you aren't happy go back to the doctor. TBH even if it is HFM the doctor can't stop your little one getting it and as pp said that one is a virus so anti biotics won't do anything.
Hope feeling better soon

TammyswansonTwo Tue 24-Oct-17 16:42:11

Some doctors are literally worse than useless. After my c section my legs swelled to five times their normal size. I got an itchy and hot red patch on one knee - went to the doctor and was told it was dermatitis. The next day it turned to purple bruising. Went back and was told "that's not bruising". Riiiight. Turned out it was the start of cellulitis. Honestly I swear some of them don't even look.

crazycatlady5 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:01:39

Grrrr, annoying isn’t it. Most docs I’ve ever seen are amazing but then some just seem to want to tick boxes. He has been given penicillin for a streptococcal infection caused by the open eczema wounds - if its HFM there is nothing that can be done anyway just fluids and painkillers so will see what happens!

Will also have a look st herpetic eczema, thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: