Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To use a fork?

(15 Posts)
Ricekrispie22 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:22:43

I'm eating at a Japanese restaurant tonight. Noodles galore! But I can't use chopsticks. Will it be alright to ask for a fork? If I don't, I think I might starve!

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Oct-17 13:26:34

They wont mind, anyone that does is a poseur smile

BenLui Tue 24-Oct-17 13:27:06

Yes of course they’ll bring you a fork!

Gatehouse77 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:27:16

Of course. I'm sure they'd rather you enjoyed the food than battled with it!

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Oct-17 13:28:23

The local place have them on the table so you dont have to ask.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:29:23

I regularly visit the Chinese restaurant above win yip in manchester. They largely cater to Chinese families and even they don't mind giving you a fork. Any place that would mind is pretty pretentious in my opinion.

napmeistergeneral Tue 24-Oct-17 13:39:22

Use a fork and don't order udon, too slippery even for forks!

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 24-Oct-17 14:15:05

YANBU. I can't use chopsticks either and I've tried, so I always get a fork. I'd be there all day otherwise and most of the food would end up on the table or on me but not in my mouth.

In fact I'm quite baffled how 'everyone else' that I've eaten in Chinese/Japanese restaurants with seems to be able to use chopsticks. When did they learn?

Where we grew up there were no Japanese restaurants until the last few years and Chinese was almost exclusively takeaway only. No-one has been travelling in Asia so how come they can suddenly use chopsticks confused.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 24-Oct-17 14:32:26

Thanks for the kind messages. I went to Wagamama quite recently and it felt like a walk of shame when I went up to the hatch where the food comes out to get a fork!

Tippexy Tue 24-Oct-17 14:33:36

Anyone who uses chopsticks is a poser? What a bizarre thing to say. Perhaps anyone who uses chopsticks can simply use chopsticks?

sashh Tue 24-Oct-17 14:45:54

They wont mind, anyone that does is a poseur

Some things are easier to eat with chopsticks.

Katedotness1963 Tue 24-Oct-17 14:54:59

Both my kids can use chopsticks, I'd starve to death without a fork!

TrashcanMan Tue 24-Oct-17 14:55:02

I think DJ meant that anyone who minds is a poseur, not anyone who uses chopsticks is a poseur.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Oct-17 15:05:12

TrashcanMan Thanks, yes of course thats what I meant. If you ask for something in a restaurant its between you and the waiter. confused

BlackInk Tue 24-Oct-17 15:17:45

My 8 year old's teacher suggested I help him with his handwriting by challenging him to eat Maltesers with chopsticks at home.... turns out he's excellent at eating Maltesers with chopsticks, yet his handwriting is still flaky smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now