Talk

Advanced search

To ask you about working/living in farflung lands

(3 Posts)
splendidisolation Tue 24-Oct-17 11:02:23

At the moment I'm fantasising about getting away from Europe and working somewhere completely new. I have 3 questions, would be grateful of you could answer 1 or all!
1) If you had to pick just one country outside of Europe that you have lived in, where would you pick and why?
2) Is TEFL still a thing? I know it was a decade ago when I was pondering this but I just wonder how that has changed what with apps and online language learning etc?
3) Other than TEFL, what other "easy access" jobs are out there for working abroad? I might fancy a total departure from my current career.

midnightmisssuki Tue 24-Oct-17 11:11:39

It does depend - what you want to do/your current profession and if you have and transferable skills?

In Asia - Singapore and Hong Kong would be my choice, just remember the latter would probably need you to have working knowledge of mandarin/cantonese. I suspect teaching english might be something youre looking at? I have friends that moved to Thailand to teach english.

In America - you might struggle with a visa as i think its really hard to get one now, but i have friends who work in NY and i have an office in Boston with colleagues who are really happy there. I was given the opportunity to move, but my 3-year old has just started school and didnt want the upheavel.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Tue 24-Oct-17 11:25:43

Latin America every time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: