Talk

Advanced search

To ask you about working/living in farflung lands

(3 Posts)
splendidisolation Tue 24-Oct-17 11:02:23

At the moment I'm fantasising about getting away from Europe and working somewhere completely new. I have 3 questions, would be grateful of you could answer 1 or all!
1) If you had to pick just one country outside of Europe that you have lived in, where would you pick and why?
2) Is TEFL still a thing? I know it was a decade ago when I was pondering this but I just wonder how that has changed what with apps and online language learning etc?
3) Other than TEFL, what other "easy access" jobs are out there for working abroad? I might fancy a total departure from my current career.

midnightmisssuki Tue 24-Oct-17 11:11:39

It does depend - what you want to do/your current profession and if you have and transferable skills?

In Asia - Singapore and Hong Kong would be my choice, just remember the latter would probably need you to have working knowledge of mandarin/cantonese. I suspect teaching english might be something youre looking at? I have friends that moved to Thailand to teach english.

In America - you might struggle with a visa as i think its really hard to get one now, but i have friends who work in NY and i have an office in Boston with colleagues who are really happy there. I was given the opportunity to move, but my 3-year old has just started school and didnt want the upheavel.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Tue 24-Oct-17 11:25:43

Latin America every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now