Talk

Advanced search

To think there are no good paying jobs/good degrees to do that are related to animals???

(12 Posts)
RubRubRub Mon 23-Oct-17 21:59:19

Apart from veterinary...?

DD is clever, but definitely not vet-worthy (not meant in a horrible way) but would really like to go to uni and learn more about animals/have a career with animals.

Thanks.

SleepForTheWeek Mon 23-Oct-17 22:03:23

Pet behaviourist? Not likely to earn you a 6 figure wage but the demand might be there

MaidOfStars Mon 23-Oct-17 22:05:04

Ecology, park management, vet nurse?

Butcher?

ZenNudist Mon 23-Oct-17 22:06:09

Farrier

DrWhooves Mon 23-Oct-17 22:06:57

She could start her own cattery/kennels? My local cattery is always busy and must make a mint. Not University but College though.
www.opencollege.info/product/dog-boarding-kennel-course/

twinone Mon 23-Oct-17 22:07:51

Vet nurse?
Probably not starting out on a great wage but getting to head vet nurse would get a better salary.

Sodaface Mon 23-Oct-17 22:09:00

Marine Biologist?

Callamia Mon 23-Oct-17 22:09:00

Animal behaviourist? One of my colleagues is a psychologist who works with various large animals (i.e. not rats in a lab), and I'm terribly envious of how much fun it looks.

grumpysquash3 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:11:11

Training guide dogs? I bet that would be fun.

dnwig Mon 23-Oct-17 22:17:47

Animal husbandry?

Danceswithwarthogs Mon 23-Oct-17 22:18:31

Don't write off vet school if she really wants to do it

(but tbh really high veterinary salaries are a bit of a myth, employed vets pay generally ranges £25-50k depending on experience, much less than a dentist or accountant, but £80k student debt......)

There are new uk vet schools planned/opening that don't lean so heavily on traditional academic studies/performance, also some EU/overseas schools teach in English, may have less stringent entry requirements and sometimes lower fees. Work experience and performance in osce type interviews are part of admission, not just A grades.

Also agriculture can be well paid in niche areas, managing large dairy farms etc.

In terms of jobs "looking after animals" most are poorly paid, veterinary nursing has particularly poor pay bearing in mind 2-3y training/degree (£13-20k/yr)

What about other better paid science/caring jobs (and voluntary work with animals at weekend??)

washingmachinefastwash Mon 23-Oct-17 22:25:19

Vet science? Dog behaviourist?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: