Talk

Advanced search

Is 'My week as a muslim' justified?

(65 Posts)
donquixotedelamancha Mon 23-Oct-17 21:53:43

I'm watching a documentary on 4 where a Racist white woman lives with a british muslim family, while made up as if of south asian origin. The makeup is obviously problematic, but in this case I think it's justified.

I've always felt that people like the subject were very alien to me. I felt they didn't understand british values and stereotyped them a bit. In the past I've blamed them for a lot of britain's problems.

Watching the show I can't help admiring Katie's bravery and willingness to examine a different view. That isn't something I associated with Racists. The bit where she is abused while dressed as a muslim, and explains to her mum, has made me tear up a bit. In many ways they aren't so different from us.

What did everyone else think.

pigeondujour Mon 23-Oct-17 21:55:11

In many ways they aren't so different from us?!

Squirmy65ghyg Mon 23-Oct-17 21:56:53

hmm

donquixotedelamancha Mon 23-Oct-17 21:58:02

"In many ways they aren't so different from us?!"

I don't meet many Racists IRL. I freely admit I've stereotyped a bit.

TammyswansonTwo Mon 23-Oct-17 21:59:25

Sorry it's unclear from your OP - do you mean racists or muslims?

RadioGaGoo Mon 23-Oct-17 22:01:16

I don't think it is the white racist who is brave.

donquixotedelamancha Mon 23-Oct-17 22:03:13

"Sorry it's unclear from your OP - do you mean racists or muslims?"

The subject was a racist lady called Katie. Obviously Racists don't share British values of tolerance and multiculturalism and live quite different lives. I feel a bit challenged in my views of them.

Why would I think that about muslims? That would be silly.

RebelFreddyVSRogueJason Mon 23-Oct-17 22:04:30

Well there are a few types of racists.
The ignorant ones, that don’t know much about anything but read the DM, share articles in FB and they heard from a friend’s child’s dog walker that hot cross buns will be banned.
The casual racists that grew up hearing and saying things,and it’s all a joke and they mean no harm and one of their friends is muslim/black/asian/whatever race.
The hardened racists that hate everything and anything that is other,often no limited to race or religion.

Peskyelephant Mon 23-Oct-17 22:08:54

I found the whole program to be very strange. Katie had clearly got a lot of assumptions which needed challenging. Her repeated "they are just like us" was annoying. Of course they are, we are all human beings. Also her constant confusion of skin colour and religion.

Itsanicehotel Mon 23-Oct-17 22:10:14

Even if only a few people watching this change their minds a bit and start to question their stereotypes about Muslims, I think it was worth making.

I’m not Muslim but am from an immigrant family and have had a fair bit of both overt and subtle racism over the years. Programmes like this which look at what makes us all the same rather than concentrates on what makes us different are important imo. It’s always shocking to see overt racism like we did when Katie was in her home town.

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:13:15

I've just started watching it and so far I'm finding Katie very strange

Itsanicehotel Mon 23-Oct-17 22:13:21

And to those asking “Why would I feel like that about Muslims, that would be silly”? There are a lot of silly, ignorant and racist people around who think exactly that about Muslims.

MrsSiba Mon 23-Oct-17 22:14:34

I'm all for educating people but this programme mixes culture and faith again and fails. What was the need to include the marriage bureau when up till then the focus was on outer appearances vs the inner person and taking it as far as prosthetics and wearing the full hijab?

I think it showed, again, the general ignorance surrounding Muslims in this country ands the strength of the hate filled gutter press in influencing people's perceptions.

I loved the lady apologising for the abuse and doing what she could to help.

BriechonCheese Mon 23-Oct-17 22:14:36

It's strange it takes a white, non Muslim woman to tell people what Muslim and ethnic minority woman have been saying for years.

BananasAreGood Mon 23-Oct-17 22:16:49

Sending a racist to live with a Muslim family, debatable. Having her do it in blackface, totally unacceptable and purely done for gimmicks and shock value.

There are plenty of white Muslims, followers of Islam come from all over the world and practise the faith in different ways, absolutely zero reason she needed to don blackface. The producer gave an interview saying the makeup was essential "so Katie would go unrecognised in her town." Why did they have to film it in her hometown?

If anything the programme would have been a lot more powerful and done more to demonstrate and change minds if it had portrayed Muslims of different racial backgrounds.

FrankiesKnuckle Mon 23-Oct-17 22:19:10

I didn’t perceive Katie as inherently racist just astoundingly ignorant to anything other than her way of life.

CatchingBabies Mon 23-Oct-17 22:20:32

I've been looking for this. It was filmed close to me so very interested. Where did you manage to find it?

AngelaTwerkel Mon 23-Oct-17 22:20:34

"It's strange it takes a white, non Muslim woman to tell people what Muslim and ethnic minority woman have been saying for years."

This is my problem with it. That nothing is valid unless a white person has experienced it and explained it from their position of privilege.

KrytensNanobots Mon 23-Oct-17 22:21:08

I missed the beginning but saw most of it. I think any programme that might make people sit up and think about how we are all the same can only be a good thing.
If it even makes one racist question their ignorant views, that's great.

Ttbb Mon 23-Oct-17 22:22:22

Who's they? Generally speaking most of the Muslim I knoe look/act exactly like the non-muslims I know, at least on the surface.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 23-Oct-17 22:24:12

I haven't seen the programme, but saw her on TV being interviewed this morning. She didn't appear to have racist beliefs on the morning show.

Surely if she really was racist she wouldn't take part in the programme and be prepared to question her attitude?

donquixotedelamancha Mon 23-Oct-17 22:27:06

"Having her do it in blackface, totally unacceptable and purely done for gimmicks and shock value."

Yes. It was definitely standard channel 4 manipulation. In this case I think it was valid, because well....

"Even if only a few people watching this change their minds a bit and start to question their stereotypes about Muslims, I think it was worth making."

bonfireheart Mon 23-Oct-17 22:32:52

Bodycam camera worn by Muslim woman would have worked well. Then get the racists to watch it back.
The worst form of imperialism there is. Your experience is only validated if it comes from a white person.
I went to a predominantly white uni. Only non white person on a course with 150 students. Work for a largely white organisation. Daughter goes to a RC school. I don't fit into any of the Muslim stereotypes the press likes to portray but I'm am proud to be both British and a Muslim. I still suffer prejudice and racism. I don't need anyone making assumptions about me, thinking that I fit their near stereotype boxes or pretending to be me for a week to validate my experiences.

donquixotedelamancha Mon 23-Oct-17 22:33:12

@Ttbb 'Who's they?' Racists obvs.

Who would refer to all the members of a religion, no matter how diverse, as 'They'? That would be offensive.

"Surely if she really was racist she wouldn't take part in the programme and be prepared to question her attitude?"

The bits at the start where she was pushing her views on her daughter were pretty bad. Unlike some PPs I think she was brave to challenge some pretty entrenched views in such a big way.

Liiinoo Mon 23-Oct-17 22:33:26

I too had my doubts about the prosthetics but I thought it was a good programme. Katie was very open minded and honest about her own misguided attitudes and the Muslim women she met didn't seem offended by her disguise. It made me hopeful for the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now