Talk

Advanced search

To think I have Aspergers?

(3 Posts)
lunalove Mon 23-Oct-17 19:46:26

I was in therapy today (for trauma/ptsd) and my therapist and I ended up in an argument. I often struggle to understand people when they don't speak clearly/ say exactly what they mean.
So today I kept getting confused because it seemed to me that she kept contradicting herself so I would ask questions e.g "but earlier you said.." etc for her to clarify. But she took this as me being arguementative and would reply when did I say that? We ended up in complete silence for about 15 minutes And then said she didn't know whether this would work. This is the second time we've had this problem.

Also I saw a different therapist at the beginning of the year who told me I didn't have the right personality because I kept asking questions. I was genuinely upset about this as I was couldn't work out what he wanted me to do and I could tell he was getting frustrated with me.

I seem to have this problem all the time too. I'm constantly getting into these situations where I come off as rude or aloof or difficult and I honestly can't work out why people are getting frustrated with me.

I mentioned this to my mother and she got cross and to told me to stop looking for things wrong with me. Which I suppose is fair because I've been diagnosed with various mental illness which always seem to be getting corrected to something else.

I also haven't had the best luck when it comes to understanding doctors/therapists so the idea of getting diagnosed is a bit off putting. Although I would like to have an answer for why I am this way.

It's almost like I'm a child. Where unless people say exactly what they mean I get completely confused.

It's frustrating because I thought by now I would've grown out of this and yet my 3 year old seems to be more socially savvy than me.

Anybody had any similar experiences?

Corcory Mon 23-Oct-17 21:36:19

Have you looked up other ASD symptoms?

overloadedwithchocolatecake Mon 23-Oct-17 22:00:38

OP, this sounds really difficult and frustrating for you. Also hard that you seem not to have found a therapist who is willing to discuss this difficulty with you and reflect on what's going on in your relationships - with them and others. I don't know whether you have Aspergers or not, but could be something you look into in the future. For now though, worth trying to explore with your therapist (or another one you can connect with) what is going on with the way you have been relating and arguing in therapy. I wonder if this is a pattern with others, perhaps your parents or other relationships?if it is, worth exploring a bit to fully understand it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now