Talk

Advanced search

To make my own recipe book?

(24 Posts)
PretendTeaPot Mon 23-Oct-17 18:36:25

Doubting myself here so thought the ladies on Mumsnet could help.

My next door neighbours are an older couple. We get on great with them; put bins out for each other, they look after our cat if we go away and if they ever need it my husband walks their dog for them or goes with the man in the couple to the vet with the dog.

A few weeks ago they mentioned they had a slow cooker but not many recipes for it. I have a slow cooker too and love it, I make loads of meals in it and most of them are quite cheap.

For Christmas I thought about making a Slow Cooker Recipe book for them, with say my 20 favourite recipes in a nice book. Most of the recipes feed me, DH and DD with some left over for the freezer and cost under £3 to make (the couple are both retired and although I'd hate to guess their income, I'm sure making food cheaply means more money for other things). I thought I could add pictures I've taken, and add specific products, heat settings, whether I freeze it etc. I also have a friend who makes pet food in her slow cooker and thought she could add a couple of recipes in for the dog.

WIBU to do this? Or should I just buy a book like a normal person? Would you like this as a present or not?

Caulk Mon 23-Oct-17 18:39:29

I wouldn’t appreciate it as much as I should, as personally as I find I never use recipe books.
However I know people of other generations do, so go for it if you have the time.

kimlo Mon 23-Oct-17 18:42:59

paperchase had some lovely empty ones for you to put your own recipes in when O was in there the other day.

I think its a lovely idea. But I wouldn't put in anything for the dog.

londonmummy1966 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:43:44

I think it is a lovely idea - it would be easy to do on Publisher if you have that on your computer. It's fun to do as well - I once ran a healthy living project and creating the recipe book was huge fun. However, you need to make sure it doesn't come across as patronising - you know your neighbours better than we do so you will know how to play it. One way to avoid this might be to ask your NDN if she might be prepared to share a couple of recipes with you that her children enjoyed when they were growing up. I bet you'll get some real gems that you would never have thought of...

Autumnchill Mon 23-Oct-17 18:45:26

We have sport related summer guests and I cook for them for 5 months and they wanted copies of all their favourite recipes so I put them in a book. Website is called 'this is my cookbook' or similar. Really easy to do.

That said, I wouldn't like to receive one as a gift but that's because I like cooking and experimenting.

PretendTeaPot Mon 23-Oct-17 18:46:09

london Couple don't have children as far as I know but I'm sure I can think of something. Plus I was going to phrase it as "I wrote all these down for myself so I don't forget" sort of thing

InMemoryOfSleep Mon 23-Oct-17 18:46:15

I think that's such a lovely idea, and I'd also quite like a copy please smile

FurryDogMother Mon 23-Oct-17 18:50:13

Brilliant idea - please do include the dog recipes!

onlyonaTuesday Mon 23-Oct-17 18:55:58

I made a recipe book for dd1 when she left Home.
She loves it

formerbabe Mon 23-Oct-17 18:57:23

Amazing..I might copy your idea!

violetbunny Mon 23-Oct-17 18:58:35

I would love this! smile

PretendTeaPot Mon 23-Oct-17 19:00:17

I would love receiving something so personal but don't want to offend, so I hope they love it.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:01:15

I LOVE your idea! How lovely! You could even put the book you make in a nice basket with the ingredients for one of the recipes. I'd love to help you if you need it. You could have letter sized pages with one recipe on each side and then put the pages into plastic sleeves within a pretty binder. Or whatever! The possibilities are endless.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:01:48

I can't possibly imagine why they would be offended.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 23-Oct-17 19:02:46

I would love this.

Seeingadistance Mon 23-Oct-17 19:03:58

I think it's a great idea!

PretendTeaPot Mon 23-Oct-17 19:05:52

That's what I thought Aqua, and that way they could add their own or share the recipes with other people too. I'm loving the idea more and more now.

milliemolliemou Mon 23-Oct-17 19:11:58

Brilliant idea. It'll mean a lot to them. Perhaps you could do a bit of sniffing around to see if there's anything they particularly love eating. Do you use it for puddings as well?

And then publish it so we can all have a go!

PretendTeaPot Mon 23-Oct-17 19:15:46

Yes I make rice pudding, chocolate sludge cake, fudge and creme caramels in mine.

I also do breakfasts; porridge and apple and banana hotpot.

buckeejit Mon 23-Oct-17 19:20:09

Best sow cooker recipes on her first so we can judge wink. I'd be delighted with that!

Taffeta Mon 23-Oct-17 19:22:15

What a lovely neighbour you are and what a wonderful idea for a gift.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:30:35

We should all work together at make a Mums of the World Slow Cooker Recipe Book!!! We could make it as a pdf so anyone could just print it out at home!!

For Pete's sake, I'm giddy with excitement! blush (shows you how exciting my life is! grin)

TheOldestCat Mon 23-Oct-17 19:38:51

It's a lovely idea. Comes with a risk but that's life! You'd never do anything if you over-thought stuff. Go for it.

(and yes please do post a PDF here - I love my slow cooker!)

FridgeCut Mon 23-Oct-17 19:41:44

@HairSprayBabe does these as gifts and uses blurb.com so might be able to give some advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now