Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about my health?

(19 Posts)
worriedaboutmyheath Mon 23-Oct-17 17:49:05

I had a period around 2 weeks ago and now I’m spotting Today.. I have pains down my thighs into my knee. Am I being unreasonable to think this is something to worry about? I’ve been to the doctors before and they said ‘there is nothing to worry about’ but am I being unreasonable to think that this is normal ?

SheNumpty Mon 23-Oct-17 23:03:12

I've been diagnosed with ovarian cancer today - go to your doctor, tell them something isn't right and you're concerned. You have nothing to lose by going.

Naughty1205 Mon 23-Oct-17 23:22:31

Shenumpty very sorry to hear that. What treatment will you have? Do you mind me asking what symptoms you had before you were diagnosed?

SheNumpty Mon 23-Oct-17 23:52:43

I don't know what treatment I'll have at this point, still being discussed. I have bowel surgery to get through tomorrow first before I can think about the cancer. I went to the doctor with a crampy pain in my left side, not really much to speak of apart when when I did a bit too much
They sent me for blood tests which showed rapidly increasing markers for inflammation. Had a ct scan at the hospital which showed a mass on one of my ovaries which they removed, a week last Sunday telling me it was a dermoid cyst - very rarely anything other than benign, and been told this morning that what they removed is cancerous.

I've had PCOS, and I'm only just 40, dermoid cyst seemed like a reasonable explanation. My periods have been wonky recently (sometimes nonexistent, sometimes the heaviest ever) but with PCOS that's pretty common.

I couldn't have gone to the doctors sooner than I did, but I would encourage anyone who is worried to just go and make sure.

Made this a bit about myself, sorry, I just feel like I need to keep saying it to try to make it sink in.

OP, take no risks, there's nothing more important than your health.

darkcloudlooming Mon 23-Oct-17 23:58:16

I’m sorry about what your going though. Sounds really scary.

The doctors don’t listen to me.. I feel like I have gone round full circle with them. I had a ultrasound scan and they didn’t find any tumours or anything is that enough to relax about it being serious or would I need a more detailed scan?

SheNumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 00:14:43

Well they think my cyst was the size of a tennis ball when it ruptured, so it had been around and growing for a long time and I had many many ultrasound scans when I had my daughter two years ago that showed nothing. Suspect it just showed as another shade of grey in the background.

I'm probably a worse case scenario here, but I would go back to the doctor and tell them that the pain is persistent and you can't attribute it to anything. Get a second opinion from another doctor. When I went to my doctor first, just a couple of weeks ago now, she told me it was probably a bug but sent me for bloods anyway and that's where they found the raised levels.

darkcloudlooming Tue 24-Oct-17 11:55:46

I’m actually more worried than I was before nown

Freddiesfling Tue 24-Oct-17 12:38:23

Don't be too worried the symptoms you have described can literally be caused by another number of things and ovarian cancer is a rare cancer on the whole particularly in younger woman who have had children... few general symptoms are caused by the rarest illnesses obviously there are always exceptions but if it puts ur mind at ease go to the gp... I have had both those symptoms you described and it was just part of my cycle changing as I got older!!

TammyswansonTwo Tue 24-Oct-17 12:52:47

How old are you, my lovely? Have you ever had this pain down into your legs before?

Your ovaries sit on top of nerves that run down into your legs so I get this pain every month during ovulation, and at other times too - I have endometriosis. I'd say the cause of this pain is likely to be something to do with your ovaries - could be anything from ovulation to a cyst to other things.

My mum had ovarian cancer and sadly the symptoms can be very similar to many other gynae conditions and therefore hard to spot. There is a blood test (CA-125) which CAN be an indicator for ovarian cancer but which is also often raised in those with endometriosis (not always). Depending on your age and symptoms your doctor may want to run this test to see if anything shows up and refer you on from there.

It's very unlikely to be ovarian cancer, especially if you are under 45/50. It's not impossible though. It's known as a silent killer for a reason, because symptoms aren't conclusive and are often disregarded.

I think it's very likely to be something else benign but absolutely push for tests and answers. Doctors are far too quick to disregard menstrual problems and pelvic pain.

darkcloudlooming Tue 24-Oct-17 16:46:06

Thanks everyone

I’ve actually had pains in all my bones the past few days. I’ve had blood tests and they all come back normal but I don’t understand why I’m bleeding like this. I understand you can bleed when you ovulate but I never used to and this is new. And the blood is bright red at first and then goes to dark brown but only lasts a day or two... it’s weird. I did at one point see some blood tests and the inflammation markers had a ? Against them a while back but jo doctor has said nothing.

TammyswansonTwo Tue 24-Oct-17 22:56:20

How old are you? There are lots of things that can cause mid cycle bleeding. The old blood is definitely a common symptom of endometriosis. I had no idea periods were supposed to be red until I had some treatment and surgery - the first period I had I called my doctor in a panic as I thought I was bleeding to death, I'd only ever black and brown blood before that. So that was pretty embarrassing! My endo also caused chronic fatigue which often feels as you described. Hope you don't have to wait too long to see the gynae.

If you have persistent bloating in your abdomen that never goes down and only gets worse, go back to your doctor right away. I get bloating from my endo where I look pregnant but it only lasts a day or two then goes back down again.

darkcloudlooming Tue 24-Oct-17 23:16:52

Thank you @TammyswansonTwo

I’m 29 and I will turn 30 in February.

When I went a few months back because Of this extra bleeding the doctor I saw rang another doctors to ask for a second opinion whilst I was there and she said ‘she has follicles on Ovaries but not yet Polycystic’ don’t know if that’s relevant or I’m a bit thick but I didn’t understand that. I will go back to the doctors but time and time again they tell me there is nothing wrong with me.

TammyswansonTwo Wed 25-Oct-17 07:15:58

Basically when your ovary is ready to release an egg a follicle will appear - like a follicle that hair grows from on your head, and this is where the egg comes from. Multiple follicles could mean you're releasing multiple eggs each month (I have twins so that happens to me too, although I didn't know it before!). These follicles can become cysts, and if have multiple cysts that's known as polycystic. This can be a symptom of polycystic ovarian syndrome which is a hormonal issue really. Sounds like they can see this is potentially an issue but no cysts as yet.

I don't have PCOS so I'm only going on my understanding after having countless scans over the years!

At your age, ovarian cancer would be beyond unlikely - not impossible, it happens, but if your scan and blood tests didn't show any of the markers then I would not be overly concerned about this. How long ago was the scan?

This is where it gets complicated as pretty much all gynae conditions have many symptoms in common so it's very difficult to get to the bottom of things.

At your age, I'd guess endometriosis will be their main suspicion and go diagnose that you'd need a keyhole surgery. In fact when you see the gynae I'd push for this if they're not suggesting it - there are many things that can't be seen on a scan (endometriosis deposits, scar tissue etc) so can't be diagnosed or ruled out. Some consultants will simply try to put women on a hormonal medication right away without diagnosing them which I'd strongly advise against - if you have this you really need to know about it and not just treat the symptoms.

Hang in there - I know it's difficult, took me 10 years to get a diagnosis which is not at all uncommon.

whereiscaroline Wed 25-Oct-17 07:26:23

Another one here with endometriosis and identical symptoms to you, including the mid cycle spotting and the pain down the thighs. Took 9 years for a diagnosis from my first GP visit (about bleeding after sex). Please go back to your GP and push for blood tests (to rule out anything very serious) and then a gynaecologist referral. Endometriosis, if it is that, can only be confirmed via a laparoscopy usually. A clear ultrasound scan does not mean that you don't have endo.

TammyswansonTwo Wed 25-Oct-17 09:20:58

I would look up the symptoms of endometriosis as I suspect you'll find things on there that you suffer from and have never linked. I had a whole host of different symptoms, from fatigue to "IBS" (grr, what nonsense that term is!) to migraines to chronic cystitis and never put it all together. No doctor did either and whatever period issues we present with we are told it's normal (even as a 13 year old with 21 day periods that would literally flood my bed). The whole thing makes me rage. You'll see doctors who tell you that there isn't a problem because your scan was clear, and doctors who will suggest it's psycholohic

TammyswansonTwo Wed 25-Oct-17 09:26:14

Sorry phone crashed! Some will tell you it's psychological. Do not listen. I did. I was extra unlucky as I had an emergency lap that was apparently clear and after that no one was interested. Was only diagnosed after being admitted via A&E twice a month for nearly a year in agony (and in those notes it says things like "differential diagnosis: ovarian cyst or psychosomatic" rather than the very common illness for which I had all the symptoms!). Turns out the first lap took less than five minutes and they didn't even make enough incisions to properly check my pelvis. Literally just stuck a camera in, looked at the front of my womb and said "nope, all good - must be a nutter"

With any luck you'll see a gynae who knows what they're doing and will help you find the answer. My advice is always to take someone to appointments with you (they are always much more reasonable with someone there to back you up), be completely level headed, don't suggest what you think it is (many do not like this!) but do push for further investigations.

Are you on the pill or anything like that?

darkcloudlooming Fri 10-Nov-17 10:44:26

Hello. Thanks for your replies. I’ve not had a period this month now. It’s just been a bit of spotting here and there. I genuinely am worried for my health but the doctors say there is no point in referring me to anyone because they won’t accept the referral and that them as gps can’t do nothing more for me! I’m so stressed having to live with these symptoms.

TheVanguardSix Fri 10-Nov-17 10:52:40

OP, I pay between &80-£100 for an annual private pelvic scan and consultation. Is it ideal? No. But the reality is, if you want peace of mind and you can pay for it, do it. If anything shows up in the scan, your regular GP is informed, you also go home with a copy of the report, and your GP will have to refer you. It's better than watching paint dry while your GP faffs around. With a report which requires action, your GP has no choice but to take action.

Can you afford this route?

Your symptoms sound like you could have a cyst.

NeedHelp1002 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:11:43

TheVanguard Six... can we ask what company you use as I would like to do this... sorry to hijack,
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now