Talk

Advanced search

to be crying with frustration over fecking halloween costume problems

(79 Posts)
Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:40:33

I'm a grown women ffs...also what the hell sort of halloween costume is Rainbow Dash anyway?

Also if anyone has any ideas how to make pony hair that a) holds its shape, b) keeps the colours in order, c) 'swishes' then please PLEASE let me know.

Dozer Mon 23-Oct-17 14:42:42

Life’s too short! Who is requesting this of you?

Namechangetempissue Mon 23-Oct-17 14:43:13

Just buy off Amazon or eBay. Seriously -life is too short to be fucking about making stuff like that and getting upset about it.

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 23-Oct-17 14:43:39

Wig? Or those coloured hair extension things?

Namechangetempissue Mon 23-Oct-17 14:44:35

£13
A small price to pay for sanity

araiwa Mon 23-Oct-17 14:44:37

White sheet. Holes for eyes

Kentnurse2015 Mon 23-Oct-17 14:45:39

What happened to a simple bin bag and a black plastic hat (with green hair if you were lucky!)?!!

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:46:31

Its DD who wants the costume (6 yo).

She said to me today 'I don't mind if it isn't perfect Mum, I will love it just knowing you made it' - which sounds sweet but is not reflective of reality in any way. What she will actually do is weep silent tears of disappointment.....

MarmaladeIsMyJam Mon 23-Oct-17 14:47:14

They have Rainbow dash dresses in Sainsbury's

sunandmoonshine Mon 23-Oct-17 14:47:19

Oh hell yeah, just buy it! I don't make fuck all. grin Not costumes or cakes or anything. Why bother with all the hassle and time when you can often BUY said item for less than making it?

waits for a ream of posts from posters saying how they lovingly make tons of shit for their kids and family members.... cook from scratch cornflakes, home made bread, clothes made from the cotton they grew..... yawn.....

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:47:23

Name see that's kinda where I started...but 'it doesn't look anything like rainbow dash's hair'.

thelastredwinegum Mon 23-Oct-17 14:48:07

Rainbow Dash is a female Pegasus pony and one of the main characters in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. She maintains the weather and clears the skies in Ponyville. As a huge fan of the Wonderbolts, she becomes a reservist member of the elite flying group in Testing Testing 1, 2, 3 and a full member in Newbie Dash. In Sonic Rainboom, Rarity and Princess Celestia both declare that she is the best flier in all of Equestria. Rainbow Dash has a pet tortoise named Tank, whom she chooses out of Fluttershy's offered animals in the episode May the Best Pet Win! She represents the element of loyalty.

www.argos.co.uk/product/7039555

SaucyJack Mon 23-Oct-17 14:48:17

Coloured pipe cleaners?

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:48:44

marmalade I know...thats what provoked this horror. DD loved the dresses but wanted a costume that looks more like a pony...with plushy stuffed wings....and ears...and SHITSHITSHIT I haven't ordered embroidered cutie marks yet.

MarmaladeIsMyJam Mon 23-Oct-17 14:49:13

And get some coloured hairspray from boots

CuppaSarah Mon 23-Oct-17 14:49:29

Felt! You need felt to make the hair. Easiest way to do it. If it's not swishy enough tell her rainbow dash is not rarity. If she wanted swishy hair she should have been rarity wink

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Mon 23-Oct-17 14:49:46

Buy it, pretend you made it. A little white lie will stop hours of stressing.

thelastredwinegum Mon 23-Oct-17 14:50:27

I've just re-read your first post and totally misunderstood it - sorry.

Could you get bright wool and plait a mane?

craftsy Mon 23-Oct-17 14:50:28

Make it like the Equestria Girls version of Rainbow Dash. Easier than a pony.

Acadia Mon 23-Oct-17 14:50:48

It has never occurred to me to make a Halloween costume and it has never occurred to my children to ask for one.

Why not just tell her "you choose from these options at the store" or google something together?

It's really something you only do if you enjoy it, not 'cry with frustration' over.

nonfatnofoamlatte Mon 23-Oct-17 14:50:53

Been there, done that and I feel for you, OP! I had to look up Rainbow Dash and here's what I found:
www.pinterest.ca/pin/325455510552305587/

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:51:12

saucy not swishy enough I fear...tbh I think swishy and all the colours stay in the right places may be mutually incompatible.

What I'm trying to do is just a light weight fabric cut into the right shape, but the pointy bits don't really move right....maybe I could stick a wool fringe on it....

Also my sewing machine is infected with gremlins..or maybe a poltergeist. It fucking hates me whichever it is.

Namechangetempissue Mon 23-Oct-17 14:51:40

Just style it yourself. Honestly, it's an outfit for one day. It's close enough-its a cosplay one so must be pretty perfect. Just buy it and stop stressing. She is six, I'm sure she will think its amazing when it gets here. You will be lucky getting any polyester wig to "swish" anyway. Good luck!!

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:52:04

cuppa now you may be onto something there....

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 14:52:55

I did think of felt...but when we were actually in the fabric shop looking at stuff, they didn't have enough of the right colours to make a go of felt....and I got carried away with the spectrum of light cotton.

buggerit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now