Talk

Advanced search

To ask for her brown bin?

(17 Posts)
JediStoleMyBike Mon 23-Oct-17 12:54:51

Recently bought our first house. Been here just over a month. Next door neighbour has a massive bush at the end of her garden, leylandii I think. It has been cut back this morning and a load of clippings have been left covering the entirety of our back garden. The bush doesn't actually encroach on our garden so I don't know how this happened.
I want to go and ask for the neighbours brown bin to dispose of the waste as we don't have one. Husband doesn't want to rock the boat and thinks we should just dispose ourselves so we don't get into a tit for tat complaining scenario. Wants to keep relations nice.
WIBU to ask for the brown bin and clear up myself?

DressedCrab Mon 23-Oct-17 12:56:54

Ask them to come and remove it.

ArseholesOnToast Mon 23-Oct-17 12:59:47

I'd ask them to come and clear it up which I think would be entirely reasonable. I wouldn't do it myself.

TroelsLovesSquinkies Mon 23-Oct-17 13:00:09

Just ask for the bin, then at least you'll know what she's like.
Why are people afraid to speak to neighbors in case they start a war? Most people are quite normal and reasonable. It's her clippings

FittonTower Mon 23-Oct-17 13:01:53

I think that's reasonable. You don't have to be confrontational about it, just ask if theyd like you to collect the clippings that landed in your garden and stick em in the bin for them? You can introduce yourself at the same time.

Dobopdidoo1 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:02:22

It’s pretty thoughtless of her not to offer to clear it TBH.

I’d ask her to clear it in a pleasant way.

NoSquirrels Mon 23-Oct-17 13:03:02

Totally reasonable to ask. Then you'll find out if it was accidental or if your neighbour is awkward. But don't just assume a reasonable request to help tidy up will lead to "rocking the boat"! I'd be totally happy to go and clear up my rubbish in my neighbours' garden.

ThePants999 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:06:30

If the bush doesn't encroach on your garden, clearly the clippings were deliberately chucked over. So either the neighbour is a CF and needs to learn early that you're not a pushover, or they hired someone who cut corners, in which case I imagine they'd like to be told.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 23-Oct-17 13:07:49

I would go round and ask in a calm way when the hedge cutter is coming back to clear your garden, perhaps they didn't want to barge round without permission.
Ime clearing and taking away what they cut is part of the service ,or it's left with the customer - not a third party.

PandorasXbox Mon 23-Oct-17 13:07:54

I think that’s a reasonable proposal OP. I understand why your DH doesn’t want to rock the boat but buy asking for their bin to remove the clippings is fair enough, you don’t have to rude or snippy ( not suggesting you would be )

They may not even realise what’s happened.

PandorasXbox Mon 23-Oct-17 13:08:36

By not buy!

IvorHughJars Mon 23-Oct-17 13:18:54

Shove the clippings over her side. Done.

Ifailed Mon 23-Oct-17 13:33:54

poke them through her letter-box and set fire to them. She's bound to be a nasty neighbour as they always are on MN so you can start the war off by winning the first battle.

Or, ask to borrow the brown bin and explain why, if they are anything like people in RL she'll apologise and offer to pick it up herself.

CantChoose Mon 23-Oct-17 13:35:34

Chuck them back over. Ideally under the cover of darkness. It’s the only way...

JediStoleMyBike Mon 23-Oct-17 13:48:00

We've already met her and she seems nice! My initial reaction was just to bag it up and then go and ask to pop in the brown bin which I thought was reasonable enough, but then my husband sowed the seeds of doubt! Will follow that course and hopefully she will have a word with the gardeners and ask them to shift them properly next time.

GabriellaMontez Mon 23-Oct-17 13:51:53

The gardeners should have done this! They can't just tip the rubbish over the fence for you! Go and chat to her.

PandorasXbox Mon 23-Oct-17 14:19:42

I’m sure she won’t mind you asking for her brown bin OP, you’re doing the right thing being careful to keep relations pleasant, I wonder if the posters saying tell her to move it and that they’d throw it back over her fence would really do this away from their keyboard wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now