Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you had to kill the animal yourself, would you still eat meat?

(227 Posts)
WhatDoYouThink2017 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:35:42

To ask if you had to kill the animal yourself, would you still eat meat?

It seems that a lot of people say no, but that does confuse me, as if less people ate meat, there would be a less of a demand.

This isn’t me saying eating meat is wrong btw, I absolutely believe there is a food chain, but the food chain is slightly unfair. Animals are bred and kept in awful conditions for their meat, etc. which is where I believe it’s unfair. Other people seem to agree.

So, if you could humanely keep your own animals and kill them, would you? Or would you go without meat?

TwattyCatty Mon 23-Oct-17 12:38:54

I have done. so yes, I would.

MrsHathaway Mon 23-Oct-17 12:39:59

Heck no.

But I'm not as bothered about meat as DH: he might get his hands dirty.

I have milked a cow before, and I'd love to have chooks, so I'd be a happy vegetarian.

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Mon 23-Oct-17 12:41:43

I would go without meat if I had to kill it myself.

I haven't got it in me to actually kill anything.

I enjoy a bacon sandwich too much to give meat up though.

londonrach Mon 23-Oct-17 12:42:15

Yes. As long as i didnt name the animal but i grow up in a farming area.

JeepersKreepers Mon 23-Oct-17 12:42:43

This is a really interesting question, OP.

No, I wouldn't eat meat if I had to kill the animal myself. I couldn't physically kill an animal (as in pull the actual trigger).

I like to think I could keep animals humanely and then send them off to be killed and then be okay with eating them but I actually don't think I could. I think I'd get attached and end up hating the idea what these animals are only alive so I can eat them sad

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Mon 23-Oct-17 12:43:14

Yes.

numbmum83 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:43:56

No I couldn't . I love chicken and bacon but if it made a big difference I would go without meat.

ChickensGoBoak Mon 23-Oct-17 12:43:58

I'm mostly vegan, and the last few times I at near I did 'do the seed myself. They were animals reared by a close friend, so I know they had nice lives and were well cared for, and that the end was swift and the most pain free/dignified it could be.

As it is, the only animal products I use now (eggs and wool) are from animals we raise ourselves, for similar reasons.

toriatoriatoria Mon 23-Oct-17 12:44:27

I wouldn't be eating meat if I had to kill it myself, I just don't think I've got it in me to do it.

DressedCrab Mon 23-Oct-17 12:44:44

Yes. I love meat.

ChickensGoBoak Mon 23-Oct-17 12:44:46

* the last few times I ate meat

Cupoteap Mon 23-Oct-17 12:44:57

Yes but I would struggle to actually move cow

BadPolicy Mon 23-Oct-17 12:45:24

Yes I would, kill and eat meat. BUT I would want plenty of training / instruction to male sure I was causing the least amount of suffering possible and also to get the most amount of use out of it.

tellitlikeitispls Mon 23-Oct-17 12:45:24

well no, but then if I had to grow veg, I probably wouldn't eat those either...
I am a lazy fucker

VladmirsPoutine Mon 23-Oct-17 12:45:25

Yes. My diet is about 90% veggie anyway, but like a PP, I like a bacon sandwich too much to give up meat.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Mon 23-Oct-17 12:45:28

A better question is if you had to witness its treatment whilst alive would you still eat meat.

EndoplasmicReticulum Mon 23-Oct-17 12:45:53

Yes.

NameChanger22 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:46:02

I'm a vegetarian. If there was no other source of food i.e. I was on an island with only chickens (impossible I know), then I would kill an animal. I would make sure I survived. In any other scenario I wouldn't kill or eat animals.

SayNoToCarrots Mon 23-Oct-17 12:46:06

I'd rather eat meat I'd reared and killed myself than factory farmed animals who have had who knows what kind of life and death.

Morphene Mon 23-Oct-17 12:46:55

I think its hard to know till you were faced with doing it. But I kinda think I could kill a chicken...or a cow if given the right equipment and proper training. I would hate to cause additional suffering through ineptitude.

On the flip side I'm not sure I would eat grains if I had to go to all the hassle of growing them myself. It would be potatoes and lettuce all the way.

MrsHathaway Mon 23-Oct-17 12:47:05

My grandpa was a farmer so I've seen how they're treated when alive and heard the babies wailing for their mothers when they're separated but it's the actual killing that would stop me.

CuppaSarah Mon 23-Oct-17 12:47:32

Yeah, I haven't physically killed any of my meals, but have assisted. My dad is too fatherly to let me kill anything. Dh has killed pigeons we've eaten too.

I make a point of the children knowing where meat comes from. My dad tried to wind my dd up last night, telling her our roast chicken was one of the chickens from the pen that she gets the eggs from. She couldn't care less and asked when it would be ready. I hope being open about it will help children value what they eat and not just desensitize them.

Bluelonerose Mon 23-Oct-17 12:47:50

Thing is it's so much cheaper to eat meat than it is vegetarian.
I couldn't do it but I do agree with your point.

Gunpowder Mon 23-Oct-17 12:47:57

Fish yes, animals no, which is why I am pescetarian. I do wear leather shoes though which is morally problematic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now