Advanced search

loud music next door

(16 Posts)
snorkmaiden68 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:27:10

I live in a terraced house and most of the street is quiet. DS (29) moved out 2 years ago and it's just me and my DD (23). We are in a council property and next door has bought his house. He is a single man in his late 50s who has had a few really noisy parties (one started with the loud music and shouting /dancing in garden at 12.40 am till 2.10 am).
I came home from work on Friday with a migraine and just wanted my bed but at 10.30 on went the music at top volume, thankfully for only an hour.
A bit of background, I suffer from bipolar disorder and anxiety which is made worse by noise. During the summer party I slept downstairs on the sofa with the cat but hardly got any sleep and felt awful at work next day.
My daughter is angry about it as she works shifts. He s not approachable at all and I feel like he thinks he can do what he likes as he owns the house and we are only council tenants so will have to put up with it. Aibu to call 111 or noise pollution people next time he has an all nighter? Not sure how other people feel or if I m just over reacting coz of my anxiety?

MissConductUS Sun 22-Oct-17 21:33:46

You are not overreacting. Call 111 and find out what the local ordinances are. Surely there is some time of night when the disturbance has to stop.

He has a right to entertain guests and you have a right to get to sleep at a reasonable time.

MrsNai Sun 22-Oct-17 21:34:27

Look up your local council's environmental health team as they may well have a form to submit (often a diary).

snorkmaiden68 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:49:08

Thankyou. So just because he is a homeowner he can still be told it's not allowed? I used to live on a council estate so haven't had this problem before as you can just report direct to council. He is rather full of himself and I don't like confrontation but it's making me angry

Telstar99 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:51:13

Yes even homeowners have to obey the law. Just complain to the council and he will be sent a warning letter.

snorkmaiden68 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:41:54

Thankyou Telstar99 I will do that if it happens again. I think his other neighbour has complained too

Santawontbelong Sun 22-Oct-17 22:45:01

After these late nights make sure you hoover about 730am. .

crazycatgal Sun 22-Oct-17 22:51:07

Contact the council, it doesn't matter that he is a homeowner, he will have to stop the noise or faces being fined.

snorkmaiden68 Sun 22-Oct-17 23:17:02

I put the glass recycling out quite early in the morning crash bang wallop. May get the old Henry hoover going early too

JonSnowsWife Sun 22-Oct-17 23:57:01

Get the strimmer out on your garden(s).

Did both gardens with just the strimmer the night after our CF neighbour had yet another party. They didn't have one for ages after. grin

snorkmaiden68 Mon 23-Oct-17 00:34:54

Good plan. My garden needs a tidy up and now it's half term I m home for a whole week (work in a local school) so I shall have lots of fun at 7.30 am!!

Sparklesocks Mon 23-Oct-17 00:35:13

OP If you can I recommend making a log of each incident and when you complain to council you have specific examples, e.g
20/10/17 loud music playing until 23.30 etc
That way you have examples when they ask for them.

Each council is different but generally with anti social behaviour they tend to send letters to offenders to say they've been complained about, and then take further action if it continues - so good to have a log so you can keep track of it all

snorkmaiden68 Mon 23-Oct-17 00:42:29

Thanks Sparkle I already keep a daily diary (just for myself, have done since a teenager) which is lucky as I can go back and see what happened and when. Am hoping it will be less likely now the nights are darker/colder as he seems to like having the worst ones in the summer months (when I want to sleep with the windows open of course)

GlitteryFluff Mon 23-Oct-17 00:43:08

Don't call 111, that's NHS direct wink.
Call 101 for non emergency police if that's what you want to do.

snorkmaiden68 Mon 23-Oct-17 00:48:13

Thanks Glitter that's what I meant. I always get those numbers mixed up!! Never had to call any of them yet luckily

toriatoriatoria Mon 23-Oct-17 12:25:19

Call environmental health at your local council, they deal with all noise complaints.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: