Talk

Advanced search

To have forgotten that mumsnet can be lovely

(20 Posts)
callmehannahbaker Sun 22-Oct-17 20:32:14

There has been so much negativity recently that I went through some of my old threads to see why I was still on here.

Under different guises I've had so much help and support over the last 8/9 years. At times by the looks of it I wouldn't be here without the support of random strangers online who were there at stupid o'clock.

Aibu to just wish we could have a nice thread for once?!

RangeTesKopeks Sun 22-Oct-17 20:33:02

YANBU! smile Hear hear OP.

Theresamayscough Sun 22-Oct-17 20:33:54

Quite right op and well said smile

callmehannahbaker Sun 22-Oct-17 20:53:59

At least 3 of us agree!

John4703 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:56:09

Well said OP and the ones that agreed with her. I agree too.

DamsonGin Sun 22-Oct-17 20:58:46

I remember more lovely, funny or supportive threads on here than negative ones. Or maybe that's what I subconsciously choose to do. I wouldn't have a zombie plan, or have been able to help a dv victim, or feel normal as a parent of a child with sen. I have breaks but I always come back.

Thirtyrock39 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:59:15

I'm fairly new to mumsnet but loads of the threads make me howl with laughter or give me good ideas and lots of threads have made me look at things in a totally different way- I love it

MillieMoodle Sun 22-Oct-17 21:08:47

I've had so much support too - weight loss support (although my willpower has deserted me at the moment), support when DS1 didn't get into the village primary school and I appealed (I was distraught and some very knowledgable MNers gave me some really sound advice but also helped me see that it really wasn't the end of the world!) , general getting-my-shit-together support, it's been fab for me over the years.

Also I have learnt so much (who knew that pineapples grow in the ground and that Gibraltar isn't an island?!), had so many laughs from some crazy threads and bought so much stuff I don't know how I lived without before being a MNer.

DH rolls his eyes at me when I'm on here, but now when we have a question about something even he says - "well, what does mumsnet say?"

callmehannahbaker Sun 22-Oct-17 21:15:27

Gibraltar isn't an island?!?!?! What?

KrytensNanobots Sun 22-Oct-17 21:20:07

YADNBU! I love you all, all of you. ALL you mumsnet users. Maybe not so much the trolls.
this may be the couple of glasses of wine talking but I luffs everyone grin]
It's nice to have somewhere to come to see and hear others experiences and opinions, an online support system.

MillieMoodle Sun 22-Oct-17 21:34:26

Call no, it's not an island! It's a small, narrow peninsula at the southern tip of Spain. I know....mind...blown! grin

callmehannahbaker Sun 22-Oct-17 22:06:06

I googled it and still don't believe it!

ethelfleda Sun 22-Oct-17 22:07:59

I completely agree. I started a thread asking people what they loved about their partners/husbands the other day for exactly this reason... because it was getting very depressing around here.

DonkeyOaty Sun 22-Oct-17 22:09:08

True. Not all is snark and bitchplopping.

We used to call MN Love and Knuckles, all those years ago.

Pockets of kindness and hilarity are still to be found.

TL:DR? What they all said ^

WildCherryBlossom Sun 22-Oct-17 22:10:27

It can be a great place. I leave sporadically when it all seems to get a bit aggressive. When I am here and post I try provide help, advice, answers to questions where I can, and not to get involved in the scraps. I think that’s what it’s supposed to be about.

RJnomore1 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:11:32

Wait! What's this about Gibraltar?

It can be lovely. When I had my lowest point last year very kind posters helped me through. I hope I've managed to help some others too.

Frustrates the heck out of me at times too mind you.

MillieMoodle Sun 22-Oct-17 22:13:29

Call and RJ.....what can I say? MNers are the fount of all knowledge and the stuff I have learnt in my years here is life changing!

Idontevencareanymore Sun 22-Oct-17 22:29:18

Relatively new here, never started a thread but commented on loads and all I've seen is masses of support and lots of laughs! I've lost too many early nights to a mumset thread.

As an aside I knew Gibraltar wasn't an island, however I was gobsmacked to discover the channel tunnel is not in fact under water bit under the sea bed. Courtesy of a previous MN thread.

peachgreen Sun 22-Oct-17 22:31:18

I genuinely don’t think I would have made it through my very long and drawn-out slow growth pregnancy / eventual miscarriage, or my subsequent struggles to conceive, or my current anxiety-inducing pregnancy, without the support I received on the miscarriage / conception / pregnancy boards. I love Mumsnet.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 22-Oct-17 22:32:16

I have been on here daily for just under five years.

I genuinely have loved it. Some threads do turn a bit.. Weird.

But in the main, do kind. I have a huge knowledge of weird and wonderful things. Lots of support. Much more clued in. Stronger feminist views which I am glad of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now