Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask my new (to me) local mosque if I could have a look around, even though I’m not Muslim?

(15 Posts)
Funclesmuck Sun 22-Oct-17 16:45:58

I’ve just moved back to my local town after many years abroad, and bought a house next door to a mosque. My interest in it is that it used to be a church which I was married in and my children were christened. I also find myself with a few spare days a week now and would love to get involved in some charity work, perhaps meals on wheels, food bank, dog walking etc, and thought maybe the mosque was a good a place as any to offer my services. So my AIBU is this, is it cheeky when I’m not a Muslim and have no real knowledge of the religion, or not? Thanks in advance.

Seniorcitizen1 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:47:53

I am sure you would be made very welcome

WorraLiberty Sun 22-Oct-17 16:48:05

No of course not. Just ask them and I'm sure they'll be happy to show you around, especially as you're interested in volunteering etc.

Aquamarine1029 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:53:47

I am sure they would love to meet their new neighbour and to answer any questions you might have.

MongerTruffle Sun 22-Oct-17 16:55:29

No, YANBU.

PaleMoonRising Sun 22-Oct-17 16:55:52

I’m not Christian but love looking around churches, can’t see how it’s any different, smile

PinkHeart5914 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:56:44

It’s worth asking. If you explain your reasons for wanting to do this I bet they will be more than happy to show you around

Sirzy Sun 22-Oct-17 16:57:25

I can’t see why it’s a problem. A lot of religious buildings have open days

LurkingHusband Sun 22-Oct-17 17:12:02

One thing I've learned in life is that given the right chance, people love to talk about themselves.

I've had so many informative, interesting, and affirming conversations with people as a result of asking something about where they are from, why they believe, why they do something ... and I hope on the occasions I've been asked, people have found it interesting.

(Trying to explain the House of Lords to a Swiss chap was fun. They had no idea of people not being elected)

I was grateful to live with an Irish guy, a Nigerian, and a British Muslim at Uni. I leaned so much.

dnwig Sun 22-Oct-17 17:16:24

Our local mosque would do this for you (I have visited). Worth asking!

Funclesmuck Sun 22-Oct-17 18:27:16

Thanks all, I will take a stroll tomorrow and see if anyone is around to talk to. I just didn’t know how they would feel about a Christian who had got married in the mosque nosing around. I want to see how much of the fixtures and fitting are left!

FreudianSlurp Sun 22-Oct-17 18:31:40

I'm sure you'd be welcome any day, but I'd probably try to avoid prayer times. Also, if it's an open day make sure you don't eat before going - the amount of delicious food our local mosques provide is amazing!

TeachesOfPeaches Sun 22-Oct-17 18:33:29

A lot of mosques have community days so maybe find out if they have one.

nameusername Sun 22-Oct-17 18:45:10

Some mosque have open days for visitors. Like some posters mentioned, it's best to avoid during prayer times (esp. on Fridays) which can be viewed online. Just make sure you're dressed modestly.

TiredBefuddledRose Sun 22-Oct-17 20:26:06

Make sure you don't have holes in your socks that day, last time we visited a mosque I forgot about the removing your shoes thing and wore odd socks one of which had a toe sized hole in (wasn't aware of the hole when I put them on!).

I think you will probably be made to feel very welcome x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now