Talk

Advanced search

To be surprised at the price people sell things for?

(5 Posts)
Misspollyhadadollie Sun 22-Oct-17 15:02:35

I'm a member of a selling site and I'm always surprised at the price people try to sell things for. Examples are artificial display flowers 4 for £5. A wall plaque £6. A tv Ariel £15. A vase with artifical flowers in £35 They never seem to have any comments either. Is it just me that sees this? Aibu in thinking some people think their crap is worth more than it is?

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 22-Oct-17 15:04:36

Well seller can set a price,doesn’t mean folk will pay that though
So real test is if it sells at price set

karriecreamer Sun 22-Oct-17 15:12:37

Buyers and sellers have different reasons for buying/selling. What's expensive and useless to you may be a bargain for someone else who may have a specific need for it.

I once had a good little "trade" going selling a small book/pamphlet. Not particular rare - loads of shops sold it across the country. But it was something that was a bit "niche" and wasn't sold by any of the major websites and there'd be plenty of towns without a shop that sold it! I had a local shop who sold it. Came across it by accident on ebay and saw the price it was selling for (several pounds more than the RRP), and I checked that people were buying it. So, I listed one on ebay for a trial, and it sold, so I went down to the shop, bought it and stuck it in a jiffy bag then went down to street to the post office. Sold many more too until it started being sold on the major websites - nice whilst it lasted and bought me a couple of pairs of shoes out of the profit!

Since then, I've sold loads of stuff that I'd have otherwise binned. Even broken electrical goods and toys. I've also sold loads of stuff that would otherwise be stuck in drawers or on shelves, such as my DS's clothes and toys, virtually every book I've ever read, virtually every DVD I've ever watched, all my old mobile phones. You'd be surprised what some people will buy. I usually start the price high for anything unusual and then reduce it until it finally sells.

woodwaj Sun 22-Oct-17 16:02:06

I've just come across this beauty at only £9 plus postage 😲

Desmondo2016 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:21:42

I'm with you! But not as bad as when people put 'good condition, just needs a wipe down' ..Well wipe it then!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now