Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Training as a nurse; Would it be possible more than would it BU...

(8 Posts)
BernardBlacksHangover Sun 22-Oct-17 14:17:14

To train as a nurse with two children and practically no family support? I have a brilliant DH, but he works full time. I'm a sahm with one dc (nearly 3yo) and another on the way (due January). I'm not thinking of starting immediately, but maybe when the little one starts nursery, maybe starting as a care assistant or nursing assistant to begin with (depending on what training I would need).

Funding wouldnt be easy either, but I think we could find the money.

StephenKatz Sun 22-Oct-17 14:20:51

For me I think it would be a childcare issue when you were in placement. It's quite a few years since I was a student nurse, but I remember it being a bit of a lottery as to how relaxed your mentor could be about your shifts. In theory you should spend at least 50% of your time with your mentor whilst on placement, so you would have to arrange childcare around night shift, weekends, evenings. Personally as a mentor I'd be pretty understanding and let you self roster the rest. Unfortunately many of my colleagues aren't like this.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 22-Oct-17 14:22:27

With planning,and being realistic yes it’s achievable.you'd need to factor in E and L shifts. I’d suggest expan£ your social circle to include mums at nursery who can sometimes offer play dates, pick up/drop off

Factor in the
Shifts
Finances when training
Travel to uni and placement

Can you get a job as bank hca or care assistant get experience?

WorriedandExhausted Sun 22-Oct-17 14:25:24

Do you think you can manage an approximately 30 hour week on top of all the other stuff you need to do?

Years ago I trained as a midwife as a single parent, when my daughter was 1. It was challenging, but possible.

My oldest daughter was in childcare from 7am till about 5pm each day, which covered all the times I was in lectures, and most times on placement.

Are you an efficient worker? I never brought any assignments home with me, if you need time to study at home with 2 kids that could be a problem.

SmileSunshine Sun 22-Oct-17 14:25:58

Sounds reasonable enough. You will need to find good reliable childcare for when you are on placement and your DH is working but the rest seems fine.

tomatopuree Sun 22-Oct-17 14:31:49

I’m doing my training now. My husband is a Nursing assistant so he works shifts too.

We don’t have family local to help so with lots of planning and the odd over reaction we manage to get my placement done and uni work whilst he works. I won’t fib. It’s not always easy. The amount of ready can be hard work.

The best way to do it is when kids are sleeping or playing. Currently my son aged nearly 3 is on the phone playing games. And cartoons are on in the background.

BernardBlacksHangover Sun 22-Oct-17 14:43:31

Thanks all.

Can you get a job as bank hca or care assistant get experience?

Yes, this is what I am hoping to do.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 22-Oct-17 14:49:00

Good luck with application Bernard,I hope everything works out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now