Talk

Advanced search

To think carrying something can't result in a burn?

(15 Posts)
astroidsarah Sun 22-Oct-17 13:33:40

I have an awful burn on my hand (base of fingers) and I was carrying a heavy box this morning, that’s made from wire. That’s the only explanation I have as I haven’t done anything else. It has come up in proper blisters that look like burns (proper burns) surely this can’t be from the carrying?

fucksakefay Sun 22-Oct-17 13:35:47

Friction burn

gamerchick Sun 22-Oct-17 13:36:56

Yep friction burn. Have you never shagged on a carpet? grin

astroidsarah Sun 22-Oct-17 13:39:24

grin the thing is, it’s really bad! I’m just surprised. Normally friction is just red? It wasn’t that bad what I was carrying.

DJBaggySmallpox Sun 22-Oct-17 13:40:47

Could it be a chemical burn? Did the box sit in something acidic or bleach?
Wash you hands with soap just in case.

NC4now Sun 22-Oct-17 13:42:35

Allergy to the box maybe?

ukelelebanana Sun 22-Oct-17 13:43:29

things can blister without being burned

SportyBobster Sun 22-Oct-17 13:45:54

Like when you get blisters from new shoes. It's not a burn just repeated rubbing.

IDoLikeARainbow Sun 22-Oct-17 13:48:42

Is it hot?

astroidsarah Sun 22-Oct-17 13:50:49

I know they can but there was no rubbing involved. I just carried it, no pain when doing that either. I didn’t think of chemical actually, but there didn’t seem to be anything on it.

ADishBestEatenCold Sun 22-Oct-17 13:51:23

What was/had been in the box? Where had the box been?

For example, if it had been sitting in a garage, it may well have had something corrosive on the base. Even if the substance had dried up and all but disappeared, the heat of your hands could have rubbed off the last vestiges.

wanting to know what was in the box

Rememberremember Sun 22-Oct-17 13:51:46

A blister is protection from a burn sporty blister - heat from the friction causes the burn

HolidayHelpPlease Sun 22-Oct-17 13:51:59

How old is the wire box? Could be made from nickel - nickel allergy is VERY common!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 22-Oct-17 13:52:00

Yes to possible chemical exposure.

Or else allergy to whatever metal it was.

wibblywobblywoo Sun 22-Oct-17 14:07:58

I'd agree with the possibility of chemicals causing the damage - do make sure you deal with them properly - I find blisters are one of those things that lots of people do all the wrong things with. beta.nhs.uk/conditions/blisters/?WT.mc_id=organic_split

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now