Talk

Advanced search

Phone addiction

(11 Posts)
kidsandgrownupsloveitso Sun 22-Oct-17 08:37:40

Posting here for traffic.

I think I’ve got a phone addiction.

I use it constantly for everything. I spend hours out of my day on it browsing the internet, FB, MN, Twitter, instagram, snapchat, emails, banking. I don’t post much on social media but spend a lot of time being nosy on it. It’s began to impact my life. I’m getting up late because I’m I’m on my phone in bed in the mornings ‘checking’ all the apps I have, if I wake up at night to use the toilet I check it, I use it at work (I’m sure my boss will notice soon), the housework is getting neglected and worst of all my family have noticed.

How can I stop this stupid time wasting? I always have my phone on me and am on it without even realising (if that makes sense). It’s become a habit that I can’t seem to break. I will put my phone on the side thinking I won’t go in it for an hour but it’s soon back in my hands.

Is this even a real thing?

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 22-Oct-17 08:40:44

For a start don't take it to bed with you. Mine stays in the lounge overnight.

Dippingmytoesin Sun 22-Oct-17 08:43:19

Yes it's a real thing. It's not so much phone addiction though it's more social media addiction even if you don't post you're needing constant updates.

There's apps that can help you stop using your phone for a certain amount of time each day, can't actually remember what they're called though sorry I'll try and find out

kidsandgrownupsloveitso Sun 22-Oct-17 08:43:50

@PosiePootlePerkins That’s a good idea. I use it for my alarm but I could buy an alarm clock for the bedroom. I know I sound ridiculous but I feel anxious if I don’t have it on me

kidsandgrownupsloveitso Sun 22-Oct-17 08:44:17

@Dippingmytoesin That would be great. Thank you

Dippingmytoesin Sun 22-Oct-17 08:48:33

Offtime
Moment
Break free

These are for iOS

bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Sun 22-Oct-17 08:48:48

@kidsandgrownupsloveitso I feel the same! It’s always within reach, and I can almost find myself surprised that it’s in my hand sometimes, pointlessly looking at Facebook/MN etc. I’m going to start making a point of putting it in a drawer for an hour at a time or something, sure it’s just a fidget thing sometimes!

phoneaddictalso Sun 22-Oct-17 08:51:22

Same here... such a waste of precious time. I'll look at the apps.

TealStar Sun 22-Oct-17 08:51:51

Times link

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/break-your-smartphone-habit-in-14-days-2rbscrmc5?shareToken=f2daf98705f4a49d6d08ab54fe75762e

ZetaPuppis Sun 22-Oct-17 08:52:42

I have to put mine in a drawer and give myself time slots to use it.
I don’t have a social media addiction as I don’t even have Facebook.
I have a mumsnet addiction and a ‘research’ addiction. I have to research everything before I do it.
Products to buy, places to go, books to read, activities to do with kids, everything.
Then I don’t have the time to do it hmm

MissWimpyDimple Sun 22-Oct-17 08:55:05

Me too. It’s embarrassing.

My problem is that although I would like to switch it off for periods, I can’t as I have elderly parents (one caring for the other as well) who need to be able to get me in an emergency and also my DD who goes to her dads and I wouldn’t want to be non-contactable.

It doesn’t help, that the ONE time I did leave the phone, I went back to it with 20 missed calls and texts from ex saying he was in hospital with DD who had broken her arm and was fraught and desperate to speak to me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now