Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I dyspraxic?

(12 Posts)
2late2 Sun 22-Oct-17 02:42:13

I'm convinced I've got something 'wrong' with me.

I am very very clumsy. I tried to make some flashcards the other day for work, using a guillotine. I printed out 3 by 6 cards on an a4 sheet of paper. The guillotine had a ruler

Every single card ended up being a different size than the last.

I also have a 'go hard or go home' attitude with everything. If I do a job I have to be the best at it. Also very competitive that I have to be the best/drink the most/eat the hottest chillis etc. If I can't be the best I won't bother trying.

FeelingAggrieved Sun 22-Oct-17 02:50:00

Clumsiness is a big part of dyspraxia but that's not enough to go on there. Any other indicators? The last part doesn't sound like a dyspraxia thing?

Detentioncontent Sun 22-Oct-17 02:51:02

www.bustle.com/p/19-symptoms-of-dyspraxia-that-arent-just-being-clumsy-2482532

Detentioncontent Sun 22-Oct-17 02:51:53

Other related difficulties

Detentioncontent Sun 22-Oct-17 02:56:06

Ok
Mine are clumsy, they drop things, they spill drinks, they fall. Four phone screens broke in three months. They can't ride a bike, when swimming they cross the pool rather than swim straight.

They have writing difficulties, they have issues with processing, if you give two many instructions at once they cannot handle it.

They need reminders to keep on top of personal hygiene.

Until recently they have really struggled socially.

Detentioncontent Sun 22-Oct-17 02:58:29

With mine and lots I know things have to be perfect or they will rip it up or start again but the go hard or go home doesn't ring true. All the Dyspraxic kids I know by the time they got to secondary have been so beaten down by a system that doesn't meet their needs they have given up and many have a poor attendance record.

2late2 Sun 22-Oct-17 03:14:20

Some things you are saying make sense... spilling things, and I always lose keys! And the too many institutions thing for sure... I get overwhelmed and want to do it right and then panic...

2late2 Sun 22-Oct-17 03:15:39

Instructions not institutions!

Detentioncontent Sun 22-Oct-17 10:25:20

2late head over to this group. Can thoroughly recommend them if you aren't sure and want to ask questions.

Nikephorus Sun 22-Oct-17 10:31:13

I can tick over half of the difficulties on detention's chart but I've assumed they're down to my Asperger's.
(Guillotines are the work of the devil - they look so easy but somehow the paper always moves!)

Albertschair Sun 22-Oct-17 15:48:44

Does it matter if you are?

I presume you have adapted by now to your strengths and weaknesses. I can see real benefit for children in diagnosis. I'm less sure for adults

shouldnthavesaid Sun 22-Oct-17 16:38:21

I'm dyspraxic.

I'm very clumsy. I can't safely use knives, scissors, machines. I can't do big things easily or little things. I didnt learn to tie laces until age 22. I can't do buttons, zips, buckles, belts, without difficulty. I can't get dressed without walking around in some way. Can't put my bra on without difficulty.

My hand to eye coordination is pants. I can't easily catch or throw a ball or hit a target.

My balance is awful, I can't climb stairs without dizziness, fall a lot. Bad with heights and transport.

Have hyperflexibile joints and floppy/stiff muscles, use muscles to support floppy areas. Head and neck used to be worst. Can't write for long as I use my neck and shoulder in such a way I get very sore. Had a lot of physical therapy as a kid. Told to try Pilates, yoga and hydrotherapy as an adult. Also considering horse riding!

I have sensory processing issues. I am either too hot or cold. Go for fabric with clothes. Can't cope with gritty or bitty stuff like crisps, nuts, flaky pastry. Couldn't eat meat until I was 9 or 10 without gagging. I chew a lot on stuff like my fingers. As a kid I had PICA issues and ate all the wrong stuff.

Socially.. I don't get sarcasm or irony. I struggle to make friends, to keep a friendship going. I can't flirt and don't understand some social cues although teach myself! I have a huge anxiety disorder and OCD with tics at times

I was diagnosed at age 7 so its normal for me and I know I'm different. I think I adapt well but I hold back off anything remotely challenging hence anxiety. Cry and get very frustrated with me if I can't do something. I cling a lot to adults older than me, as a child I always preferred adult company!

Having a label helped me hugely with school - as I was taken put of certain classes - and then in uni and workplace with equality act, reasonable adjustments. Does affect me every day with almost everything but it's just me..

None of us can say you are or not, you need an ed psych assessment but I think as an adult that doesn't come cheap. I had one via uni a few years ago and they said then it was £600 for 2 hours (uni funded). Do you think knowing would help you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now