Talk

Advanced search

To consider leaving a city I love for a great job?

(19 Posts)
Namila Sat 21-Oct-17 22:29:13

Hi all!

Although I am originally not from the UK, I have been working in London for the last 3 years. I love London! It is such a vibrant and exciting city.

I am lucky enough to have a job I like in a great company. The salary is fine for London, but not amazing (in the region of £40k). I am 28, single, no DC. I rent a place with a friend and can generally enjoy life without thinking too much about money.

Here's the thing: I have been offered an internal transfer to a different team in our Zurich office. The job I have been offered would be amazing, a lot more interesting than my current one. The team I would be joining works on really great projects. Also, the salary would be more than double my current salary.

I am on the fence about this. I have been to Zurich a couple of times and I found it nice enough, but I have never thought to actually live there. I love big cities so I am concerned I would find it a bit claustrophobic. I also love my life in London as it is now!

On the other hand, that is one great job and a hell of a lot of money.

Technically nothing keeps me in London, as I have no family/ DP here, just a few good friends. On that salary I could save a lot more money and perhaps buy a place by myself in a few years. I'd also have a better standard of living (yes I am aware that Zurich is more expensive than London, but I'd bring home more than double the money. I think I would still be better off all things considered!). I'd be able to rent a place alone and finally live by myself!

So what do you think? Should I leave a city I love for somewhere I might like less for a great job? Do you think it would be worth it?

Thank you for your kind replies smile

NancyDonahue Sat 21-Oct-17 22:35:24

Go for it. What's that saying.. 'You don't regret the things you do, only the things you don't do'.. something like that!

As it's the same company if you really don't like it could you request to transfer back? I think you'd have to give it 6-12 months though.

Best of luck

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 21-Oct-17 22:37:02

I would definitely go! London will always be there. Give it a year, give it your best shot and then apply for a job back here if you don't settle. How lovely to earn double the money!

Namila Sat 21-Oct-17 23:25:01

Hi Nancy and Mybrilliant, thank you for jumping in and sharing your opinion!

Originalfoogirl Sat 21-Oct-17 23:36:25

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd love to give somewhere like Zurich a try. You've nothing to hold you back, what's the worst that can happen? Go, and if you don't enjoy it, come back!

That's the attitude which took me to Edinburgh, (which I wasn't too bothered about) where I met my husband and have lived near ever since. 18 years and counting. Not bad for an "I'll give it a try for a year"

Namila Sat 21-Oct-17 23:42:46

Just to clarify, before moving to London I lived in several other countries in Northern Europe and Asia, so it is not the move per se that scares me..

It is more about having finally found a city I love and being afraid of not liking Zurich as much!

Namila Sat 21-Oct-17 23:43:41

Original aaaww that is so nice to hear. I wouldn't mind finding a potential Mr Namila in Zurich... grin

DorisDangleberry Sat 21-Oct-17 23:44:08

It depends - would you be happy living in a provincial city like Zurich? It would be a bit like living in a backwater like Birmingham or Manchester.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 21-Oct-17 23:46:45

I'd go in a heartbeat. I lived abroad a lot in my twenties and moved around - I got to experience beautiful places. It's so easy when you have no ties. Go for it!

peachgreen Sun 22-Oct-17 00:04:06

I wouldn’t - but that’s because I had to leave London and I miss it every day! Wish I could go back and have lived my entire 20s there.

lilydaisyrose Sun 22-Oct-17 00:11:52

I am tied down with 3 kids and a DH and a mortgage and loads of responsbility so I say, do it! I'm so jealous - go for it!

Namila Sun 22-Oct-17 11:07:49

Ok so the general consensus so far seems to be "go for it girl!" grin

Hippiechic Sun 22-Oct-17 11:15:24

I wouldn't if you are happy with your life as it is. There's more to life than money and career progression.

LinoleumBlownapart Sun 22-Oct-17 11:15:59

I don't think anyone should make life decisions based on different patches of the earth's crust and a bunch of buildings. People and places together certainly, but just places on their own, never. As someone else said London will still be there. Go for it and live the new.

lionsleepstonight Sun 22-Oct-17 11:19:00

100% go for it. Just to widen your work and life experiences. You can then go back to London if you wish but then be in a far higher wage range for jobs. 40k in London cannot go far!

travailtotravel Sun 22-Oct-17 11:21:25

Yes go for it, even with the knowledge that everything is more expensive there ( food, transport, accommodation etc), it's a good opportunity.

I know you want to live alone but I'd suggest renting or sharing a house if you can for 6 months as often shared houses are good for getting new networks of people. If you do that for the 6 month trial period you'll have saved some cash , gained a network and gave a better idea about the part if town you want to live in. Good luck!!

ReinettePompadour Sun 22-Oct-17 11:25:37

I wouldn't. If you're doing ok where you are and love what you do then why bother?

Its almost twice as expensive in Zurich so your salary increase won't seem that good once youre there. You won't know anyone so would need to form new friendships etc You could feel incredibly isolated.

If you love what you have how do you feel about giving it all up to start all over again?

We can't make the decision for you only you will know if its something you can do.

TeachesOfPeaches Sun 22-Oct-17 11:40:48

The cost of living in Switzerland is astronomical, just bear that in mind.

MissMoneyPennies Sun 22-Oct-17 11:52:18

Not the same, but 17 years ago I was in a similar-ish position. Moved from a city I loved to a great job in a small town. I ended up meeting my husband here and we have kids and everything is lovely. Except I was made redundant and there are no other jobs in my field in this area and I can’t move, no-one else wants to. I feel stuck. I miss city life. That’s my cautionary tale

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now