Talk

Advanced search

To send ds to a holiday club when I don't need to?

(37 Posts)
snowglobe67 Sat 21-Oct-17 10:55:48

Hi! Appreciate your advice on this as I'm feeling guilty and considering cancelling.

Ds is 5 and started school this time. I am a teacher so we have half term off together. His dad will look after him wed/third as I'm on a spa break for my birthday.

Despite not needing to I have booked him onto his school's holiday club for Monday so I can get bits done at school like planning, assessment and displays which in turn will mean that wed/thurs are all mine to relax in.

Ds is happy to go and hasn't seemed to find school tiring or stressful but his toileting has been dreadful at school which could be a sign of stress.

The school are still advertising that they have places so I'm not taking up a place from somebody who needs it.

But, I've begun to think that I'm being selfish in effectively taking 3 days for myself instead of spending quality time with ds.

What do you think? Would you do this, or cancel and have a nice day together?

Caulk Sat 21-Oct-17 10:59:10

Send him. He’ll enjoy being with his friends. My experience is that reception sometimes struggle to return after Oct half term so this may help him - the week off won’t feel quite a long.

I’m guessing it’ll be a shorter day so you can still do things together afterwards.

gandalfspants Sat 21-Oct-17 11:03:54

Send him.

I’m a PGCE student and DD will still be going to nursery this week so I can get my assignment and planning (which takes ages with me being new to it) done.

You’ll still get a couple of days to do lovely things together.

nogooddeedgoesunpunished Sat 21-Oct-17 11:09:42

You should absolutely send him. You need a break and you won't get one if you spend your only child free days catching up on work. He'll have fun and you'll be better rested for it. Parental guilt is a shocker but what you are planning to do makes good sense from where I'm standing .

BeeFarseer Sat 21-Oct-17 11:10:47

Send him, it's fine. He'll have fun and you'll get to do all the work you need to, which will mean you'll be more relaxed on your days together. Better to have four good quality days today than five day together where you're a bit stressed trying to get stuff done.

I'm working over half term but DH is off, DS2 is in nursery, and we've still booked DS1 in for a day of holiday club because he'll have fun and DH will get a break.

BarbarianMum Sat 21-Oct-17 11:11:39

I'd cancel and have a nice day together. But it's your choice .

ownedbySWD Sat 21-Oct-17 11:13:48

If he's stressed, maybe some one on one time with you will help.

upsydaisies Sat 21-Oct-17 11:14:46

Send him. I took my DS into school during the summer when I was doing displays and sorting my classroom out and it took ages, I wasn’t happy with it and I felt bad he was bored.

Your DS will be having fun with his friends, you’ll get school stuff done quicker and then the rest of the week you can have your two days to yourself (jealous 😂) and the rest of the time you can relax with him and have guilt free time

MimsyBorogroves Sat 21-Oct-17 11:15:10

Send him. I work term time only and send mine once during the holidays so I get a day to myself.

DH offered to have the same day off this time so we could have a day together. I nearly cried in disappointment - I need my solo days!

womaninatightspot Sat 21-Oct-17 11:17:55

I have toddlers at home and eldest did a couple of days over the holidays. It's nice for them to be with their friends, hopefully trying out new stuff in a fun environment. Also they get to know kids outwith their year group which can lead to a better school experience.

Trills Sat 21-Oct-17 11:23:55

Send him.

crimsonlake Sat 21-Oct-17 11:31:56

Personally I would not send him, you already have the luxury of a 2 day spar break without him. Being a full time working mum is difficult and I am sure you have little quality time with your child during the week as you probably have to plan/ prepare lessons for the following day.

Bluebubble123 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:41:27

I would send him on the Monday as you are technically working! The wed Thur he is with his dad! So only 1 day away from a parent. Your over thinking this. You will have tuesday and Friday together do something special then

PandorasXbox Sat 21-Oct-17 11:59:34

It’s just one day. He will most likely have a great time. Do your work and stuff you need to do. And have a lovely spa break grin

NachoAddict Sat 21-Oct-17 12:04:48

Send him, you still have tuesday and Friday together. He gets two days with each parent and a fun day with friends, you get your work done and can enjoy the days you do have together.

SkafaceClaw Sat 21-Oct-17 12:07:58

Send him in - I do the exact same thing. It makes the rest of the half term better knowing I’m up to date on marking and organised for the next term.

The time I do spend with dc is much better and we are all more relaxed for the rest of the holiday - rather than the final weekend panic!

JigglyTuff Sat 21-Oct-17 12:09:54

You're working though! He'll be fine smile

Welshrainbow Sat 21-Oct-17 12:10:54

You're not exactly planning to spend the day in bed you'll be working so send him. I have a two week half term but DS only has a week off nursery, I'm planning to send him for most of my scone week off so that I can get all my planning and marking done.

Parker231 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:13:01

Send him - perfect chance for you to get ahead with school preparation.

Rainshowers Sat 21-Oct-17 12:18:08

I assume you'll still have tuesday and Friday with him so he can relax or do something fun depending on how he feels. I think it's fine, you'll have to do the work at some point anyway, and I bet he'll have fun.

motherinferior Sat 21-Oct-17 12:43:20

You need to work so of course you need childcare.

Trills Sat 21-Oct-17 12:48:11

Even if you were planning on spending the day in bed, that would still be fine.

motherinferior Sat 21-Oct-17 13:19:14

Well yes, that too. But definitely if you need to work.

oldlaundbooth Sat 21-Oct-17 13:22:59

Of course it's fine, send him.

insideoutsider Sat 21-Oct-17 20:00:54

I would definitely send mine to holiday club and take a day or 2 off. I need time off for myself, time just for me to do nothing if I choose and just recharge. Working full time leaves no time for that.

My kids are awesome but looking after kids is not 'rest' - for me at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now