Talk

Advanced search

To have told DD 7 what my mooncup was for and where it went?

(17 Posts)
callmehannahbaker Fri 20-Oct-17 23:52:56

I'm really open with DD, as a single mum she sometimes has had to be my tampon fairy and bring them to the loo since being little.
She knows I 'have blood' as she calls it and about periods in general.

I switched to a mooncup a while ago but DD has never encountered it. She came in when I was in the bath, saw it on the side and asked what it was. I said it was instead of a tampon/pad to catch my blood when I'm on my period.

She then asked if I held it under me when I wee'd to catch it. I automatically replied, no, it goes inside me in my vagina and stays there to catch it. She said 'ewwww' and left it there.

Bit worried I explained too far with the inside me part.

TyneTeas Fri 20-Oct-17 23:54:10

Sounds fair enough

GetOutOfMYGarden Fri 20-Oct-17 23:54:55

If you'd explain what a tampon was to her then a mooncup really isn't different.

FluffyMcCloud Fri 20-Oct-17 23:56:59

Of course it's fine! I have done Jen same with my 7 year old (who has known about pads and monthly bleeding since she was about 3!).

I'm one of those awful truth tellers though. Ask a question in my house and I'll probably just answer honestly!

blackteasplease Fri 20-Oct-17 23:57:34

Totally reasonable. I had to explain tampons to ds 3 as he follows me to loo.

callmehannahbaker Fri 20-Oct-17 23:58:28

I think it was the size difference between a tampon and the mooncup that perplexed her...

HashiAsLarry Fri 20-Oct-17 23:59:17

I've had to start explaining to 6yo dd about sanitary towels as she asked me loudly in a public loo why I had poo in my knickers blush.

Completely depends on your dc btw. My dm got me the body book when I was around 8 and I found it helped me understand. Two years later my sister thought my mum had given her pure filth and refused to read it all.

callmehannahbaker Sat 21-Oct-17 00:00:08

Thank you all for reassuring me smile

Most of my friends don't even let their children see them naked now.

SeamusMacDubh Sat 21-Oct-17 00:06:49

My DC are 2 and 3 years old, it is rare that I get an unaccompanied loo trip when they are awake and so they have seen me open various sanpro products and asked questions about them. I try not to be too graphic but I don't tell lies, I try and say general things but answer questions accurately. I don't think your description/explanation was over the top or unreasonable, the more you normalise periods etc the less frightening she will find it when it is her turn.

Pennywhistle Sat 21-Oct-17 00:09:30

Seems completely fine to me. My DD and DS understand both about periods.

Our rule is pretty much of the child asks they get a truthful answer (tailored to their age of course).

Glovebug Sat 21-Oct-17 00:17:04

Mine are 6 and 3 and both know what my mooncup is for a where it goes. They aren't bothered by it

callmehannahbaker Sat 21-Oct-17 00:43:03

Really relieved by the responses. Thank you all. DD knows a lot as it's always just been me and her and I'm not one to hide things.

My parents never told me the facts of life-my elder sister told me a man and a woman shag then have a baby!

Once she and I were older she sat outside the bathroom talking me through tampon insertion! My mum never got involved at all. Boyfriends/sex/periods were untalked of.

I don't want that for DD but worry I take it too far sometimes (I have BPD-not a dripfeed-was not relevant to first post).

VimFuego101 Sat 21-Oct-17 00:47:49

I started my periods when I was 9, nowadays kids probably even start younger than that. YANBU at all.

Aquamarine1029 Sat 21-Oct-17 00:57:37

OF COURSE it's fine. The more you talk to her about her body the better. You should continue to add to these talks, discussing how she and she alone has control of her body, and if she has any questions, about anything, she should always come to you. You are laying a wonderful groundwork. Excellent job!

callmehannahbaker Sat 21-Oct-17 00:59:45

I just want periods and all the other changes to be natural to her, thank you again blush

WorraLiberty Sat 21-Oct-17 01:03:43

If you'd explain what a tampon was to her then a mooncup really isn't different.

This ^^

Really can't understand the problem.

callmehannahbaker Sat 21-Oct-17 01:06:40

@WorraLiberty sorry-she obviously isn't aware yet of the changing size/shape of a vagina. The size of the mooncup made her eyes widen when I said where it went-I could see the cogs turning even though she didn't verbalise it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: