Talk

Advanced search

To think this was very rude behaviour from Sales assistant?

(34 Posts)
lottieandmia Fri 20-Oct-17 22:19:13

I was buying a top when the sales assistant asked if I had taken into consideration the size of my chest because these tops run small 😳 While I was contemplating my embarrassment at this, she suddenly turned to another customer who was looking at knickers and shouted ‘YOU’RE NOT A 36, NOT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!’😵😵

I have tweeted Ann Summers but no response (this is the shop it happened in)!

keeponworking Fri 20-Oct-17 22:21:50

Jeez - subtle - not! She sounds charming.

BenLui Fri 20-Oct-17 22:24:08

I’m not really a fan of the classic MN phrase but this would have been a perfect time to use it.

“Did you mean to be so rude?”

LemonShark Fri 20-Oct-17 22:28:23

In any other store I'd say yes, rude, but I admit the fact it's Ann Summers does sway me a bit. I've bought stuff there before and the staff are very open and straight to the point about stuff like bra size, and it's always been helpful to me. Much rather that than have someone lie and say it will be fine on me when it'll look awful due to my breasts size.

The knickers comment though, rude. Unless she meant 'you're nowhere near that big!' as some well intended but misguided compliment aimed at denigrating heavier people while complimenting lighter ones.

ShirleyPhallus Fri 20-Oct-17 22:30:17

Ann Summers do tops?!

I thought they just did nylon thongs and vibrating cock rings....?

BenLui Fri 20-Oct-17 22:30:57

Lemon it would have better for the assistant to discreetly say “have you tried this on, I find they run a bit small” which would have made the point without the personal comment.

MaisyPops Fri 20-Oct-17 22:32:29

it would have better for the assistant to discreetly say “have you tried this on, I find they run a bit small” which would have made the point without the personal comment
Yes.
So much more polite and diplomatic

LemonShark Fri 20-Oct-17 22:33:29

True Ben, there were more tactful ways to approach it. I just don't feel the assistant was unforgivable rude. A bit tactless but probably well meaning. And this is in a store where you have assistants shimmying up asking if you'd like to try the latest vibrator on your nose or need any help choosing your first butt plug, so I imagine their assistants do have a slightly more skewed view of good service/where the line of 'too personal' is compared to most shops!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 20-Oct-17 22:33:59

Well that's one way to lose the shop business.
I'd write directly to the manager, and tell them about her uncouth and tactless attitude, because if it were my shop. I'd damn well want to know.
There are plenty of people with impeccable manners and social skills on the dole

lottieandmia Fri 20-Oct-17 22:41:29

I’ve been in there loads of times and never had anyone be so embarrassing. I mean how did she even know who the stuff was for? She was also telling people off for looking at the clothes ‘oh can you stop that you’re making a mess’

I think if you ask for help then fine but otherwise it’s unwanted intervention!

StepAwayFromCake Fri 20-Oct-17 22:49:04

What would she have done about me? A size 18 woman choosing size 8 clothes for dd !

Utterly rude.

Areyoufree Fri 20-Oct-17 22:51:55

LemonShark A vibrator on your nose? What? Why? Beyond perplexed right now.

Softkittywarmkitty123 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:03:43

Sorry since when do Ann Summers sell tops?

lottieandmia22 Sat 21-Oct-17 07:20:56

They sell pyjamas now! Well obviously it wasn’t actually a long sleeved top

ToastyFingers Sat 21-Oct-17 07:30:28

StepAway in Ann Summers? shockwink

LemonShark Sat 21-Oct-17 08:40:26

Areyoufree it'a common advice to hold a vibrator up to the tip of your nose to test it, apparently your nose is sensitive enough to give you a good idea, and obviously you're not gonna sit and use it where it's ultimately going in the middle of the shop 😂

LemonShark Sat 21-Oct-17 08:40:52

Areyoufree it'a common advice to hold a vibrator up to the tip of your nose to test it, apparently your nose is sensitive enough to give you a good idea, and obviously you're not gonna sit and use it where it's ultimately going in the middle of the shop 😂

pippitysqueakity Sat 21-Oct-17 09:11:24

Are you free, apparently most sensitive, non x-rated part of body.🤥

StepAwayFromCake Sat 21-Oct-17 11:24:16

It's not all nose-tickling rabbits and flavoured wobbly things grin

Misspollyhadadollie Sat 21-Oct-17 12:04:14

Do mums buy their daughters bits from ann summers? lol I would be mortified if mine did that

CorbynsBumFlannel Sat 21-Oct-17 12:08:13

Surely the other customer must have been someone she knew and was joking with??? Otherwise unbelievably rude!

Areyoufree Sat 21-Oct-17 12:38:26

Well, I never knew that! Everyday's a school day on AIBU.

FizzyGreenWater Sat 21-Oct-17 12:40:36

Some people have mouths the perfect size to fit a pair of feet in.

Pengggwn Sat 21-Oct-17 12:44:23

She sounds unhinged. I do like 'Not by any stretch of the imagination', though.

Nikephorus Sat 21-Oct-17 13:13:32

In M&S, yes a bit off. In Ann Summers - grin what do you expect? They sell sex toys FFS, it's not exactly a high class establishment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now