Talk

Advanced search

To resit gcse maths as an adult when I don't actually need to?m

(29 Posts)
ClashCityRocker Fri 20-Oct-17 19:53:51

I understand you can resit gcse maths as an adult.

I got a d at school. I was pretty much a b student in terms of internal exams, but was a bit of a twat from year 9 up and didn't bother to do the coursework - which counted for a %age of the overall grade.

I can't say not having it has hindered my career... I have professional qualifications (aca and CTA) which require maths skills but of course if I wanted to change career I expect it might course problems - however at present I don't.

So it's basically a vanity project - I want to see how well I could do if I applied myself to it. I was always told maths wasn't my thing, and although I wasn't bad at it, I was very strong at humanities. But is that a bit of a shitty reason?

So Aibu? I would self fund it, if that makes a difference.

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 19:55:42

If you are a chartered account no one is going to care whether you have maths GCSE.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 20-Oct-17 19:56:05

Given that you didn't pass first time, then you've nothing to lose by having another go, so go for it. (Especially if you have kids as it will help you to help them later).

Fantasticday69 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:57:03

Yanbu.

ClashCityRocker Fri 20-Oct-17 19:58:01

moany I know... Which is why I know it doesn't really matter.

But everyone assumes - because of my job - that I'm good at maths.

Squirmy65ghyg Fri 20-Oct-17 19:59:44

Are you good at maths though?

Just because you didn't get a good mark in gcse didn't mean you're not. CTA is bloody hard!

scootinFun Fri 20-Oct-17 20:02:10

Do it, I did and you won’t regret it

DrRisotto Fri 20-Oct-17 20:02:17

Oh I totally get why you want to do it. I have considered taking school level exams just because. Why not?

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 20:02:55

If you just 'want' to then fine, but you mentioned it in the context of a possible career change. If future employers look at your CV, the ACA is plenty enough indication you are capable of maths.

You must have reasonable maths to do your job - I'm a PQ Accountant and the maths paper in the basic CIMA qual was more like A-Level.

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 20:05:08

And what does 'being good at maths' actually mean? My DH has a B in GCSE maths and is always saying he thinks he's rubbish at it. I generally think it means percentages, basic algebra, decent estimation skills - all of which you will be extremely proficient in given your job.

Mrsjohnmurphy Fri 20-Oct-17 20:12:03

Go for it, sounds like a fun challenge, or maybe go for A-Level maths (has nightmares about cotangents) that would be more satisfying.

Myheartbelongsto Fri 20-Oct-17 20:13:18

I'm an Accountant and I re took my GCSE about two years after I left school. Did it purely to prove to myself that I could get a better grade.

I hate when people ask me ridiculous maths questions because of my job!

whirlyswirly Fri 20-Oct-17 20:14:52

I got an A and can't even help my year 7 dc with his homework. Dp regularly says I should give it back.

How did you even access the Aca course without it? (Genuine question having been to an apprenticeship presentation the other day where they banged on about the importance of a c in maths and English)

noblegiraffe Fri 20-Oct-17 20:15:40

Why would wanting to see if you are capable of doing something be a shitty reason for doing it? It's always good to challenge yourself, and great to try something different. If you have kids it would also be good for them to see you studying to improve yourself.

And of course you may well enjoy it!

oursofas Fri 20-Oct-17 20:20:06

Why not? People spend money on all kinds of things that they want to do. If you can afford it, and fancy having a bash, there's no reason not to do it IMO.

Maelstrop Fri 20-Oct-17 20:23:07

Do it. It's actually really great to study as an adult, I found, having re-done a qualification this year. Why not?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 20-Oct-17 20:26:36

Go for it. Doing it because you want to see if you can improve is an excellent reason for doing it.

Much better to do it because you want to than because other expect it.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 20-Oct-17 20:27:59

Make sure you have a look at the papers for the new specification before you make a decision. They are based much more on problem-solving than they were before.

AnyFucker Fri 20-Oct-17 20:30:09

Why not ?

Just do it for yourself

ClashCityRocker Fri 20-Oct-17 20:30:23

Y'know, I think I will.

The thing that sparked it was a conversation with my dad about how he was so surprised at my job considering my aptitude at maths.

Don't get me wrong, ACA and CTA were difficult, but I didn't find the maths element difficult than any of the rest of it.... But I suppose that was because it had a context and I could see how it was applied and how it 'worked', if you see what I mean.

I think I've always thought that my maths was weak (since primary I've felt that it was not a subject I could do well in, and was encouraged to focus on humanities and English), fell into a job where I needed to use it, and am now questioning it.

NeopreneMermaid Fri 20-Oct-17 20:30:44

Go for it. I'm planning to take some ballet exams (I'm pushing 40) because I had to give ballet up when I was 10 due to long-term illness and only got to grade 2. I just want to prove I can. grin

FenceSitter01 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:30:57

To say you wont ever need it untrue.

In a past life I had staff with English degrees from an Australian uni who could not teach in this country without GCSE English. Make of that what you will.

I have A Level English, I had to take my O Level certificates in for this particular job. The A level was not sufficient.

I didn't have maths, I had a CSE, I did GCSE Maths in 2010 and was 3 marks short of an A. I was very chuffed as I cant count.

TruJay Fri 20-Oct-17 20:31:53

I retook my maths gcse in adulthood. A family bereavement and becoming a young carer because of it meant my gcses went out of the window. After having my children and leaving work to be a SAHM for several years I decided to retake my maths just to see whether my brain had turned to mush or not grin
I got a B and things just snowballed, I retook my science gcse next and then completed an access course and began a degree in primary education with QTS in September 2017 and will now be a primary school teacher in 3 years. I have loved studying as an adult, I'm so much more motivated now and actually choosing to study is much more appealing than having to do certain subjects when at school.

I'd go for it OP, my maths course was only from sept to may, it went very quickly. Best of luck smile

snowplop Fri 20-Oct-17 20:35:17

I did it last year; I studied 2 hours a week in a local library with a great bunch of people, many of whom spent their GCSE years staring out of the window like me. It was great to finally understand that actually I wasn't shit at maths. Do it OP!

WeLikeLucy Fri 20-Oct-17 20:38:47

Do anything that makes you feel good.

Sometimes if we have regrets about things in our past, 'putting it right' by re-doing it, etc, can take that feeling of regret away. It doesn't matter if that makes sense or not. Or if it's for a particular reason or for external benefit.

I am very musical but was unable to take a music degree and never sat my piano grades, although I am self-taught. I'm doing my exams now aged 35! There is no money in it. I just don't want to feel like someone who nearly did something or 'half' did it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: