Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to buy Jo Malone advent calendar?

(167 Posts)
tropical1 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:22:18

I put my name on a waiting list for one back in February, I didn't think I'd get one as they are very sought after.
The shop rang me today to say I'd got one!
It's £300 which I have got but now I'm thinking it's hugely extravagant and a bit self indulgent.
I could do much more useful things with that money like put it towards Christmas presents etc.
But I would love it and don't often treat myself,
Aibu to have it, just this once?

SandysMam Fri 20-Oct-17 19:24:19

Get it. If you can afford it then do it. We only live once, this isn't a rehearsal and it sounds like it will bring you so much pleasure. Update this thread with what's behind each door though, share the love!!

Namechangetempissue Fri 20-Oct-17 19:26:32

Get it. If you want it that badly and can afford it, why not! Life is all about the little joys.

BuzzKillington Fri 20-Oct-17 19:27:16

Do it!

I am hoping dh has bought me one.

Loyly Fri 20-Oct-17 19:27:42

Yes, do it.

OhCarrieMathison Fri 20-Oct-17 19:30:02

Go for it !
Just out of interest, do you have children ? I'm just jealous of being able to have a disposable £300 with 67 days before Christmas .
If I did tho I totally would buy it smile

tropical1 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:30:36

Buzz I was hoping that last year and dropped so many hints, but they fell on deaf ears!
DH is not going to buy it for me as he's got better things to do with his money but he says if I want it, get it.
I am tempted!!

tropical1 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:33:40

oh carrie
I do have 3 children but I save money every month for Christmas and that's safe from my potential splurge!

Bombardier25966 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:40:03

I'm all for treating yourself but £300 is ridiculous. Why not find something for half the price and donate the rest to a charity that helps people struggling at Christmas? That's got to be more satisfying than some smelly stuff?

Parker231 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:43:04

Am very jealous- I didn’t realize there was such a waiting list. I want one! I’m going to start dropping some major hints to DH or if he goes deaf, buy one myself!

Merrynsmummy Fri 20-Oct-17 19:43:50

Take it.. stick it on eBay for some other mug to waste money on it and treat yourself/kids with the profit.

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 20-Oct-17 19:45:56

Is it 24 mini candles? I bet it would smell heavenly but personally i could never justify it. It entirely depends on your own circumstances though

TheNoseyProject Fri 20-Oct-17 19:46:13

What’s in it? Just candles? I could google but what would be the fun in that?! Is it things you can’t buy? I’m intrigued!

TequilaLemonSalt Fri 20-Oct-17 19:46:48

I've ordered the asos calendar for myself. Only £50, but a bit extravagant for me.

I just thought, no other mug will be getting me anything, so why not? Treat yo'self grin

Makemineacabsauv Fri 20-Oct-17 19:46:49

Get it! Bet you’d buy something similarly priced for your dh if he really wanted it so why shouldn’t you. I’d love to be able to splurge on something fab so just you do it!!! I have just paid £35 (out of her Xmas budget) for a 12 days of Christmas benefit advent calendar for dd who is 14, so if 14 year olds from a single parent/skint household can get a posh advent calendar so can you! It’s all part of the Magic!

Hadjab Fri 20-Oct-17 19:50:10

Do it! I've been saving all year for the Dyptique calendar!

Xmasbaby11 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:50:42

I think that's a ridiculous price personally but if you're used to spending a lot on beauty items, maybe it doesn't sound so mad?

£300 could be better spent! Chances are you wouldn't have chosen every single item so its value is not relevant.

Brittbugs80 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:54:13

Im all for treating yourself but £300 is ridiculous. Why not find something for half the price and donate the rest to a charity that helps people struggling at Christmas? That's got to be more satisfying than some smelly stuff

How do you know she doesn't already make charitable donation at Christmas?! It might be ridiculous to you but that's your opinion not fact.

VioletCharlotte Fri 20-Oct-17 19:57:24

Sorry OP, but the thought of someone spending £300 on an advent calendar full of mini candles really depresses me. Treating yourself to nice things now and again is fine, but this is consumerism at its worst. Clever marketing makes stuff like this seem precious and highly desirable and gets our adrenaline going. But is it really going to give you any really pleasure after that first excited buzz?

If I were you, I'd spend that money on a lovely day out with your family. Or if you've got money to burn, give it to a homeless charity and help someone who really needs it.

ColinCreevey Fri 20-Oct-17 20:00:53

I wouldn't but I'm not that into candles. There's plenty of things I could spend £300 on that other people would find ridiculous. If you can afford it and it will bring you pleasure then get it. And don't feel bad about not donating it to charity confused should we all give away our disposable income and everything non essential to wander around in pillowcases like house elves so we don't feel guilty?

Papafran Fri 20-Oct-17 20:04:52

I wouldn't because I don't love every single one of their scents. If I was going to splurge on Jo Malone, I would make sure it was on the scents I loved the most. So I would buy a cologne and a candle instead.

CinderellaRockefeller Fri 20-Oct-17 20:10:14

Get it and sell it on eBay if you change your mind

BuzzKillington Fri 20-Oct-17 20:13:59

I will admit, one of the dcs challenged me to buy one to sell on eBay, as he saw they had gone for twice the price on there last year.

I don't like the idea of doing that - a bit like snapping up concert tickets to sell on at a huge profit.

Anyway - dh bought me the Diptyque one last year and I absolutely loved it. It's not ridiculous at all, it's all relative.

luckylavender Fri 20-Oct-17 20:26:16

People are being very rude to you OP. It’s none of their business. Life is short, you can afford it and I’m sure you deserve it. Treat yourself if it makes you happy.

OhForFrigSake Fri 20-Oct-17 20:28:01

Forget the killjoys on here and do it. Everything's relative and what seems like a huge extravagance to some may well be a well deserved treat that you've saved all year for. It doesn't matter that some can't see the appeal - you obviously can and if you want it and you have the money for it then why not?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now