Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to quit my job and go on benefits.

(57 Posts)
NachoAddict Fri 20-Oct-17 18:35:18

I have worked in my job for a very long time, almost 14 years. It is in the same borough as I live but a different town seperated by a bridge over water.

Over the past 3 years they have been building a new bridge but always said the original bridge would be kept open for cyclists and pedestrians.

I have always got a taxi to work as I only have a 25 minute window from breakfast club opening and work starting and I dont drive. Buses don't stop near my work.

Seeing as a taxi over the new bridge is now going to cost 60% more per journey I have invested in a bike and started driving lessons with the saved taxi fare. I couldn't afford them before as I was paying for taxis and couldn't afford both.

Well now the council have decided to close the old bridge with a weeks notice and have a shuttle bus for cyclists instead. Great. Only the 25 mins I have to get to work just won't cover the extra journey, to the bus stop, wait for the bus and from the bus stop to work.

I just feel so frustrated. I cant afford to go back to taxi fayres at a 60% increase, I can't drop the children off any earlier and if I shift my day forward and start later I then won't be able to pick up the children on time so will have to use after school care which for 2 children won't be cheap either. I already work later one day a week so work 30 hours.

Just feel like quitting my job.

Give me a shake please. I will figure it out somehow but its so frustrating I could cry.
cry.
It is illegal to cycle on the new bridge.

Timmytoo Fri 20-Oct-17 18:37:06

Silly question but can you push the bike over the bridge so you’re not cycling but walking on it. Might be a completely dumb idea

user1492877024 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:38:04

Runcorn?

Nikephorus Fri 20-Oct-17 18:38:23

Can't you cycle to the bridge, walk the bike over it, and then cycle again?

WishingOnABar Fri 20-Oct-17 18:40:21

Can you not just talk to work and reduce hours by 30 mins per day? Dont really see how no income is better than 2.5hours less per week

abbsisspartacus Fri 20-Oct-17 18:42:10

Do you know anyone who could give you a lift? Or take your child in the morning for you?

pinkmagic1 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:44:46

Could you apply for flexible working and try and start 30 minutes later in the mornings? Alternatively look at childminders who do school drop offs.

NachoAddict Fri 20-Oct-17 18:45:21

Sorry i didn't explain that very well. They are closing altogether for pedestrians and cyclists. They were originally supposed to just close it to traffic.

Reducing my hours would be an option I guess. Need to figure out how much worse off I would be.

I don't know anyone who could give me a lift or take my children.

HarleyQuinnHair Fri 20-Oct-17 18:46:24

I don't think it's as simple as just giving up your job and going on benefits.
Can you look for something closer or more workable instead. Seems madness you can't ride a bike over a bridge!

DanHumphreyIsA Fri 20-Oct-17 18:46:38

Is there any chance your work would approve some working from home, so you could start later, finish at the same time but make up the hours at home?
You could try explaining all of this to your employer and offer it as a temporary alternative until you’re able to drive?

Is there another parent who could help with the mornings a day or two a week?

Sorry, it sounds v.stressful x

grobagsforever Fri 20-Oct-17 18:46:41

How can cycling be illegal on a bridge??

Babbitywabbit Fri 20-Oct-17 18:47:26

Surely after school care for 2 children is still financially viable? Even if you’re minimum wage (unlikely after 14 years) then considering after school care is only a small part of the day, and you’re effectively getting over 6 hours ‘free’ while they’re in school, then you should still be in pocket? Sounds like a later start and not dashing to pick your kids up as school closes is the answer

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Fri 20-Oct-17 18:48:40

In the first instance I would definitely try to negotiate with your employer to reduce your working hours by 30 mins daily to allow you to start later. Seems a drastic solution to quit your job altogether but can totally understand your frustration with the situation

FeralBeryl Fri 20-Oct-17 18:48:41

Grow if it’s the bridge I’m thinking if-it’s a big 6 or even 8 lane motorway type job.

Gottagetmoving Fri 20-Oct-17 18:49:46

I think they are going to reopen the old bridge at some point....if it's the one I think it is.

grobagsforever Fri 20-Oct-17 18:49:58

@FeralBeryl ah yes I goggled it. It says the old bridge is still open though?

Allthewaves Fri 20-Oct-17 18:50:39

work 5 days and have a later start?

PonderLand Fri 20-Oct-17 18:50:45

If you quit your job you won't be able to claim JSA for 6/8 weeks not sure which one it is! Not sure about other entitlements. If there's no way out of it then I think you need to look for another job ASAP and pay the taxis or extra school club until you start new job.

ILoveMillhousesDad Fri 20-Oct-17 18:51:01

If it is runcorn, there is no way on earth you could walk across the bridge, or cycle. It has 3 car lanes each way and that is it.

If it is runcorn, the old bridge is closed for 12 months.

Is there any way you could do a fast pass driving course at all?

Flossy1978 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:51:43

Why not pay a teenager to stay with your kids before school and then drop them off at school if it is not far from home? You could habe two or three teenagers throughout the week, so there will always be someone to help out and they aren't daunted by doing it everyday. Surely it'd also be cheaper than school care?

NachoAddict Fri 20-Oct-17 18:52:36

Babbity it would cost over 250 extra a month. I would probably be better off on benefits as a single mum with 3 children (one doesnt need afterschool care) one of which is classed as disabled. I am noy on minimum wage either.

I need to just put my rational head on and do some sums I guess but I just posted in frustration. Guess I needed to vent.

Working from home some times could be a possibility - thanks for tgat suggestion.

splendidisolation Fri 20-Oct-17 18:54:15

Car share website?

Open up to your employer and colleagues, there may be someone who would be willing to give you a lift in exchange for a bit of cash?

ILoveMillhousesDad Fri 20-Oct-17 18:55:00

Any way you could lift share and pay towards petrol costs or something?

This bridge has upset a lot of peoples lives, very much people who use public transport.

The bridge is a blessing and a curse.

splendidisolation Fri 20-Oct-17 18:55:01

I dont want to sound fey but honestly one thing ive learnt is that very often when you start opening up and talking about things, synchonicity happens

NachoAddict Fri 20-Oct-17 18:55:30

A fast track course could be an option. Will look into that.

Yep it is the bridge that has been mentioned. Think I will have to name change after this grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now