Talk

Advanced search

DH returned from a business trip with a surprise...

(148 Posts)
Somerville Fri 20-Oct-17 14:19:00

That he's started growing a beard.

It looks like he's been on a five day bender, and he's all prickly to kiss. angry

But my AIBU is... he promised me a surprise. I thought it might be a large box of macarons. Or a tiny box of Hévin chocolates.

AIBU that a face full of prickly stubble is not a surprise?

(I think it goes without saying. But just in case: LIGHTHEARTED)

pinkblink Fri 20-Oct-17 14:19:46

What a treat 😂 send him out for wine

Ilovechocolate111 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:21:23

If my husband came home with a beard for a surprise. I would surprise him and go tell him shave it off... I hate it... I think it looks scruffy. I like a clean shaven guy. Not a prickly monkey lol xx

DJBaggySmallpox Fri 20-Oct-17 14:22:03

Well technically its a surprise. Be prepared for him to spend £30 on a tiny flagon of almond oil with a fancy pants label.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Fri 20-Oct-17 14:22:52

My DP would know better than to surprise me with facial hair! Bleurgh!

Namechanger2735 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:23:39

I thought it was going to be a hickey or lipstick mark. Definitely worse surprises!

Thesmallthings Fri 20-Oct-17 14:23:48

I like a man with a beard so id be happy lol.

Though id also ask for chocolate

Somerville Fri 20-Oct-17 14:24:25

Not the tasty kind of treat though. sad I sat there like "wot, no macaroons??"

BigFactHunt Fri 20-Oct-17 14:24:49

I thought you were going to say “the clap”

Somerville Fri 20-Oct-17 14:25:55

*Macarons - my phone is very English and always autocorrects French food.
It's almost as bastarding thoughtless as DH.

StorminaBcup Fri 20-Oct-17 14:26:32

Two can play that game Somervillewink

StormTreader Fri 20-Oct-17 14:27:24

"I thought you were going to say “the clap”"

Me too! What a relief!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 20-Oct-17 14:27:54

Ha! My DH sometimes sports stubble because he's lazy and it's easier than shaving. I hate it. I was really miffed the other day when he shaved and put on nice aftershave to meet the consultant at the hospital, because he rarely makes the effort for me! grin

Somerville Fri 20-Oct-17 14:28:34

DJBaggy See my first thought in reading your post was - oooh, maybe I can order him overpriced beard oil for Christmas!

Because I know a surprise means something that is for someone else, not oneself. <sulks>

FrannySalinger Fri 20-Oct-17 14:28:52

For some reason I thought I was reading the relationships board and expected the outcome to be ‘an STI’. So things could be worse I guess?

CommunistLegoBloc Fri 20-Oct-17 14:29:54

I too thought it was an STI...blush

OnionKnight Fri 20-Oct-17 14:30:35

Well technically its a surprise. Be prepared for him to spend £30 on a tiny flagon of almond oil with a fancy pants label.

Holds hand up, been there done that grin

Birdsgottafly Fri 20-Oct-17 14:31:23

I think it's bang out of order to not return with confectionary/pastries/biscuits.

I hate beards, but apparently, Partners are allowed to not consult each other on the preferred grooming of any part of their body, according to a lot on MN.

Wellfuckmeinbothears Fri 20-Oct-17 14:32:23

@StorminaBcup grin

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 20-Oct-17 14:33:12

BEfore DH and I were married, he told me he had a surprise for me. He was so excited about it!

He'd shaved his balls.

FFS.

He couldn't understand why I wasn't thrilled.
He did later, about 2 days later when the stubbled started to grow in... grin

MaidofHulaHoopz Fri 20-Oct-17 14:33:48

I wouldn't call that a surprise!! (I, too, would be expecting some yummy chocs or macarons after a trip away)

There is only one way forward OP. You must ensure that your lady garden - for as long as your DH has a stubbly beard - is just as prickly and scratchy. If he queries it, tell him you were so enamoured with his surprise stubble, you thought you'd repay the favour.

He'll soon get the message.

Ifitquackslikeaduck Fri 20-Oct-17 14:34:00

Was it like this? If not, send him away until he does a proper job grin

nameusername Fri 20-Oct-17 14:34:55

It depends if it'll get your DH mistaken or discriminated as Asian. A friend of mine who is white British born and bred but with tanned complexion often get racially profilled at airports and get extra check at airports.

HarmlessChap Fri 20-Oct-17 14:36:01

Yabu for not understanding the difference between a surprise and a treat grin

SecretSmellies Fri 20-Oct-17 14:36:12

Last time DH surprised me with something unexpected from a business strip it turned out to be a spaniel puppy. Problem was he phoned me en route and said' 'I've met a gorgeous black-haired girl and I'm bringing her home with me'.

hmm

He still thinks that was funny, 14 years later.

I forgave him though- as let's face it. A spaniel puppy is pretty nice. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now