Talk

Advanced search

To move again after 2 months?

(36 Posts)
Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:11:06

Until August I was in a housing association home and got offered a house (after bidding) to a council property.
The house itself is about 25 years old but have decorated it nicely.
Just spent £700 on carpets ...but last week I bidded on a new built property and somehow finished the bidding in 1st place.
I've been offered a viewing but would I be stupid to put myself through moving again.
Where I am now its 5 mins from town but this house is about 15 min drive,but this has never been lived in,modern etc
What do I do?just stay here or risk it?
I've spent a fortune on this house (decorating etc)
Basically I'm confused

ButchyRestingFace Fri 20-Oct-17 14:13:02

You sound more than “confused”.

Please tell me your pc swallowed at least 3 explanatory paragraphs.

MickeyLuv Fri 20-Oct-17 14:13:04

I would stay where you are personally. Why would you move if you have spent time and money making this house nice?

What are your reasons for wanting to move? Just because it has never been lived in is a daft reason and a 25 year old house is still modern by usual standards.

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:13:33

Attitude problem!

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:14:49

I think it was just because it was shiny and new etc.
This house is handy (school round the corner,town 5 min walking)
Maybe I would be a fool to give myself un necessary hassle

December11 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:15:45

I'd go to the viewing, you can make an assessment on how much you'd need to spend on the new house, if you can afford that and which area you'd prefer to live in.

ButchyRestingFace Fri 20-Oct-17 14:15:49

Attitude problem

You have an attitude problem?

Just work on that then. Don’t bother with the faff of another move.

Thesmallthings Fri 20-Oct-17 14:17:55

I'm surprised your allowed to. Where I am you have to live in the house/flat for a year before you can even try to bid or exchange.

Youv been very lucky to be picked. What area are you in.

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:18:15

I don't think I would dare tell my boyfriend we were moving again

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:18:33

I'm in Newcastle.

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:18:53

You can't exchange here for 1 year but can move.

Thesmallthings Fri 20-Oct-17 14:21:14

Whiney new builds arnt allways as good as you think.

Older builds are normally bigger. Have a bigger garden and deff have better walls.
New builds are put up quick with nit much thought to those living there imo. That said they do look nice to.

Personally I wouldn't move. But I would feel that We ok of having been offered it.

Brittbugs80 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:23:50

Why are you bidding with no intention of.moving then?

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:27:51

I bidded because I loved the look of it but honestly thought I would have no chance considering I've recently moved.

SomethingNewToday Fri 20-Oct-17 14:29:57

I don't think I would dare tell my boyfriend we were moving again

Doesn't he get a say too? hmm

ButchyRestingFace Fri 20-Oct-17 14:30:09

Stop bidding for now, OP. Stay right off the site. Not even a peak.

Just concentrate on settling into your nice, new home. smile

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:31:21

He does but he doesn't care.
As long as it's warm he said he's happy.

withlotsoflove Fri 20-Oct-17 14:31:23

Social housing availability isn't such problem in Newcastle - as it is in many other areas then? Are there long waiting lists ?

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:32:25

I was on the list 4 years previous to getting this house.
I guess it depends on the area.
The housing association home I waited about 6 -7 weeks but that wasn't nice house at all.

septembersunshine Fri 20-Oct-17 14:35:15

I would go and view it to get it out of your mind. Maybe it's smaller or just doesn't feel right inside. If you prefer it to the one you are living in then I guess you have a decision to make.

Bit confused, surely now you have a property you are no longer allowed to keep bidding?

Liiinoo Fri 20-Oct-17 14:35:49

I bought a shiny new new build. It was (and still is) a lovely house. I also have lived in a brand new property that we commissioned and had built to our own specifications. Each of them had myriad teething problems that only came to light once we had moved into the properties most were plumbing/wiring/fitting related and easily sorted by the builders/contractors but still caused hassle. E.G. Coming down one morning two weeks after we moved in to discover the kitchen ceiling had collapsed because the shower over it had a loose connection. So our shiny new kitchen was now covered in wet plaster and dust. One was major (a retaining wall had been built over a large sewage pipe and was collapsing over it). That one took 4 months to correct during which time the once landscaped garden was a building site complete with diggers, portaloos, forklifts and tons and tons of hard core.

The moral of this story is - shiny new houses stop being shiny and perfect and new the second you walk through the door but a 25 old house is tried and tested. Stay where you are.

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:38:23

Here we have a choice system where you are allowed to bit on whatever and wherever (obviously 2 bed houses only) as that's all our needs are.
4/5 bed houses in this area are impossible to get tho..flats and 2 beds seem a lot easier.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 20-Oct-17 14:38:26

I remember you posting before.

You were dithering about moving into this house because it wasn't done up, now it is and you want to move again. Why?confused

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:38:34

*bid

Substandandsea44 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:39:17

Tbh I never know what I want and where I want to be.
I find it hard to decide on things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now