Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think my DS should wear ear defenders?

(7 Posts)
MiniMummy576 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:49:54

A friend has invited us along to a local fireworks display in a couple of weeks, it's inland so I don't think it should be a huge one (i.e. assume there won't be any of the HUGE ones that fill the sky and set off car alarms) but I'm worried about my DS's ears.
He's about 18 months and although he's never been diagnosed with/seemed to have any problems with his ears we have a bit of 'ear history' in my family. My Dad has tinnitus and I have something where if there's loud drumming (like at a carnival or such) my eardrums 'twitch'. I think he would need to wear ear defenders (which he would HATE) or we just shouldn't go.
DH thinks I'm being over the top.
Would anyone else put ear defenders on their 18 month old for a firework display? Is he old enough not to need them or am I just being a bit over-protective?

FizzyGreenWater Fri 20-Oct-17 13:52:49

No, that's perfectly normal and a good idea - last display I went to and air show a lot of little ones and most babies were wearing them. Very sensible.

Also at 18 months, if he doesn't like the bangs and gets frightened then that's your evening out ruined. If he's got defenders on at least you know you're not going to be hurrying away ten minutes in with a howling baby.

Outedsochanged Fri 20-Oct-17 13:54:40

I have eat defenders for my 7 year old. Have done for ages. She's fine with fireworks now, but take her to concerts and sports events and she loves the event, but the noise can get too much. They are from Edz Kids ear defenders. I often see little ones who don't like the bangs at fireworks shows but once the ear defenders are on they love it. Hearing can't be fixed, so if you have history then definitely get some. Just make sure they are the right size for his head, there are lots of places that do kids ones.

Rollercoaster1920 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:57:16

Watch the Bing fireworks episode!

ShutUpBaz Fri 20-Oct-17 13:59:22

YANBU. My noise-sensitive 7 year old has always worn ear defenders for Panto, fireworks, cinema etc. He currently sports neon yellow ones!!

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 20-Oct-17 14:00:36

Definitely use them!!

moggle Fri 20-Oct-17 14:05:01

My anecdotal evidence says yes I would... last year when DD was almost 2, our NCT group of 5 toddlers went to local fireworks. none had been before. 3 hated them, 2 including my daughter loved them. The two that loved them both have glue ear... Honestly I really really doubt it'll damage his hearing but I think he'll have a nicer time if the bangs are a bit muffled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now