Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Friend turning gym into competition

(22 Posts)
SanbonChudanUke Fri 20-Oct-17 12:20:21

I joined a gym 6 months ago. Lost a stone in weight. Friend had a baby and wanted to lose baby weight so joined gym on my recommendation.

3 months down the line and she's constantly sending me her gym schedule and asking what weight I am or how many calories I've burnt per day. She's joined all the same classes as me apart from the Craig Charles class and that's only because of the time difference.

I don't want this to be a competition. I'm not into one upmanship and competing for weight loss. She's turned it into a chore. Constantly comparing and analysing. AIBU to tell her I like training with her but out of the gym I don't want to discuss it?

Msqueen33 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:26:09

Either be blunt and say it's annoying or just keep shutting it down. "That's nice but have you seen this in the news" etc. I've heard a few people when their friends start dieting they hear about it all the time.

MonkeyJumping Fri 20-Oct-17 12:40:00

Some people like that kind of competition with gym buddies, they think it's motivating. If you don't like it you'll need to tell her straight you're not finding it helpful and don't want to discuss it.

CoughLaughFart Fri 20-Oct-17 12:42:00

I know it's not relevant, but I'm assuming 'Craig Charles class' is a bizarre autocorrect fail? grin

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Fri 20-Oct-17 12:45:01

She needs/wants a benchmark.

I'd love a gym buddy but all my mates are too lazy grin. I see where she is coming from, just tell her you are doing it to keep fit, not to transform into a 1970's stereotype of a Soviet Bloc shot putter

NewPapaGuinea Fri 20-Oct-17 12:48:02

Tell her if she wants to compete, start Crossfit

Birdsgottafly Fri 20-Oct-17 12:48:32

I agree about being blunt.

There will be a discussion group on exercise or My fitness type Forums if she needs that motivation.

HundredMilesAnHour Fri 20-Oct-17 12:50:49

I've had friends like this and it's really irritating. I just shut them down with either "I haven't decided" or "I don't track calories". If necessary, I follow up with "I've told you before that I don't track calories" etc. Eventually they lose interest. But I must admit that their competitive nature did affect our friendship. Friends should be supportive not competitive. I was lucky as I also had some supportive friends and we encouraged each other in the gym rather than competed. No prizes for guessing which ones are still my friends.

Laiste Fri 20-Oct-17 12:53:14

AIBU to tell her I like training with her but out of the gym I don't want to discuss it?

You're not unreasonable at all. If this friend means a lot to you do it gently over coffee and cake carrot sticks, if not just be blunt as you have been here. She needs to know.

florenceandthefig Fri 20-Oct-17 13:18:00

Craig Charles class? I need to know more about this class....

2rebecca Fri 20-Oct-17 13:28:05

Agree with just telling her you don't want your gym going to turn in to a competition and just want to get fitter and have fun. A lot of the calorie burning data from machines and apps is nonsense anyway. If you're feeling fitter and able to do more and are toning up and losing weight if you want to lose weight the exact numbers are irrelevant.

IsThatYouPaul Fri 20-Oct-17 13:37:51

I'm just here for the 'Craig Charles class' reveal.

TinyDoom Fri 20-Oct-17 13:41:18

On the one hand, I had a friend who did this, except that she was much fitter than me, and I found it incredibly patronising when she'd point out that she had done much better than I had, but not to worry, I'd get fitter as time went on, and I ended up quitting the gym and going elsewhere. confused

On the other hand, I really want to take a Craig Charles class!

whiteroseredrose Fri 20-Oct-17 13:49:24

Keep your answer to 'I've no idea'.

That sort of thing drives me nuts. I started swimming and my mum kept asking me how many lengths I'd done. No idea! I wasn't counting just swam till I'd had enough and got out.

specialsubject Fri 20-Oct-17 13:55:26

Also desperate to know what you learn with Craig Charles!!

Meanwhile if you dont want to be in the playground, just ignore her.

TeachesOfPeaches Fri 20-Oct-17 13:58:27

Is the Craig Charles class a funk and soul Saturday night dance party?

TathitiPete Fri 20-Oct-17 14:29:31

YANBU OP I'd bloody hate this too. She needs to find someone with a similiar interest in competitive gymming.

I also would consider taking a Craig Charles class

SnowBallsAreHere Fri 20-Oct-17 14:32:08

I've been to stand up with Craig Charles. It involved us sitting on the floor drinking pints listening to him talk.

Is it that? Because that's a gym class I'd go to!

GreyBird84 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:42:29

Les Mills class?

YANBU OP, tell her your not interested you are doing it as a hobby.

SanbonChudanUke Fri 20-Oct-17 16:18:22

The woman who runs it looks like Craig Charles.

I don't want to demotivate her as she's doing so well but it's putting me off going

Funkyslippers Fri 20-Oct-17 18:07:27

The woman who runs it looks like Craig Charles.
Disappointment of the year :D

A1Sharon Fri 20-Oct-17 18:10:58

I think you have already said what you need to say to her,
I don't want this to be a competition. I'm not into one upmanship and competing for weight loss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now