Talk

Advanced search

To take these shoes back?

(14 Posts)
Darthvadersmuuuum Fri 20-Oct-17 12:02:01

DS age 6 has worn these Ricosta school shoes costing over £50 for half a term and they're knackered. The leather on the Velcro tab has come apart and they're split along the stitching at the top of the toes. They were bought from a little independent boutique and I like to support local business but surely this isn't acceptable wear for half a term's use?
If I return them, what should I expect? If I ask for a replacement/refund would it cost the retailer (who is lovely) or would she be able to claim it back from the manufacturer?
Thanks.

puddingpen Fri 20-Oct-17 12:05:01

Either take them back to the shop and ask the retailer to contact the manufacturer or, I would, contact the manufacturer directly, sending photos and saying where, when you bought them etc.

Raizel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:10:47

I think the fact that it’s a small local business and probably doesn’t have a head office or area manager breathing down their necks is definitely in your favour. When I was in retail I worked for a big nationwide retailer so it would have been a nightmare to return.

I think if you go in and politely explain what has happened and show the shoe I think they would be a lot happier to give you an exchange rather then a refund but tbf the trainers don’t look fit for purpose so it would be up to you whether to ask for an exchange or refund.

Just a question do you still have proof of purchase?

Receipt/Bank-statement? I’m sure they will be fine but maybe just have something in reserve in case they try and be a bit awkward.

Good luck Op smile

Darthvadersmuuuum Fri 20-Oct-17 12:16:14

It's a tiny shop and I didn't keep proof of purchase but the shopkeeper knows all of the children in the small town by name so I doubt she'd be awkward or sticky about it. I just don't want to adversely affect her business as she has small children too.

Darthvadersmuuuum Fri 20-Oct-17 12:17:03

All of the children whose parents shop there I might add.

Raizel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:24:18

No probs then like I said I was probably thinking with my manager head on from my time in retail.

If that’s the case I would go in and explain what has happened and it sounds like they will sort you out.

Raizel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:26:07

Also to add an exchange would probably effect them less then a refund but that is your choice. Going to the manufacturer might also be a good option but to be honest I don’t know if they would direct you back to the retailer.

Darthvadersmuuuum Fri 20-Oct-17 12:31:30

Thanks, I'll take them back and see what happens

Thymeout Fri 20-Oct-17 12:32:03

Take them back. She needs to know that this brand of shoe has only lasted 6 weeks. She can take it up with the manufacturer and stop ordering more from them. She may have had other complaints.

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:33:42

I had very similar a couple of years ago with my DD's school shoes. Small non chain boutique shop, no proof of purchase. But the lady who owns the shop remembered us and had no problem replacing them.

RB68 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:47:55

I am of a different view - I think some kids are tougher on shoes than others and its luck of the draw. I think you may have one that is tough on them and that is just life. If there were 15 others in his school with same shoes in same state then its a diff story

Darthvadersmuuuum Fri 20-Oct-17 12:59:10

But RB68, Ricosta are a brand that are supposed to last. His cheaper Clarks shoes from last year took the same pounding and lasted a couple of terms.

Darthvadersmuuuum Fri 20-Oct-17 17:01:38

She kindly exchanged for a replacement pair.

Raizel Fri 20-Oct-17 17:13:15

That’s awesome thanks for the update OP smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: