Talk

Advanced search

Phones should have inbuilt breathalysers

(37 Posts)
chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 11:27:19

Gah - I've really done it this time.

I've been chatting to a bloke I met on OLD, but haven't actually met him yet. But we'd planned to meet up on Sunday. We were chatting last night, I'd partaken in a bit too much wine and suggested he take me as his plus one to a wedding reception he's going to on Saturday. I immediately then said thats a really stupid idea - but he was keen, suggested we test the waters by meeting up tonight (kids are going to their dads so I can).

Oh crumbs, I can't actually go to a wedding reception of people I've never met, with someone I don't know can I? WIBU to do so? And has anyone got any stories of silly drunken messages to make me feel better?

Kidspetsandcakes Fri 20-Oct-17 11:44:08

Don't panic, I met my husband in a similar way smile

puddingpen Fri 20-Oct-17 11:46:39

See if you like him in RL first - then go from there!!

DJBaggySmallpox Fri 20-Oct-17 11:47:42

Either it will work out for both of you or you'll have a funny, if slightly embarrassing, story to tell.
Do it do it do it do it....

MoistCantaloupe Fri 20-Oct-17 11:49:56

There is an app in the app store to stop drunk texting.
But yes, you might get on!

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 11:50:54

kids I am panicking, I can't help it.

God knows what I'd even wear.

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 11:50:56

grin

When my DH and I were getting to know each other (friends before dating) I used to always drunk text him.

I started deleting his number before I went out but he always ended up drunk texting me anyway.

We've been together 12 years.

Go and have fun!!

Imabanana Fri 20-Oct-17 11:57:04

Actually I think that's perfect, because the best way to get an understanding of someone is to meet their family and friends and see how they interact.Surely one of the worst things about old is that you meet in a vacuum not friends off friends etc so they could be anyone. This shows he has nothing to hide so I say go for it ! But yes to drunk texting I'm so worried some mornings that I actually said on Facebook what I was thinking! Luckily I haven't done yet .

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 11:59:32

moany it won't help if I delete his number as it is an incredibly easy number to remember and also ends with the same two digits as mine.

People telling me this is how they met their lifelong partner are just making me more nervous.

EdgarAllanPO Fri 20-Oct-17 12:00:11

Go and have the meal and a few drinks. You won't be on your own with him so it should be fairly safe. I'm sure you have something in your wardrobe you can wear.

EdgarAllanPO Fri 20-Oct-17 12:01:03

And YOLO

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:03:02

imabanana that's a really good point actually, if he wasn't a genuine person he wouldn't want me around his friends.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Fri 20-Oct-17 12:05:31

Ha, my friend was taken to a wedding for a first date, didn’t know it was a wedding (his sisters) was just told dinner at the golf club. She was introduced to every single member of his extended family as his girl friend, had to fend off the attentions of the obligatory Pervy uncle, and spent most of the evening being grilled by various well meaning relatives who were just”making sure our Dave doesn’t get hurt”

Good luck grin

Kidspetsandcakes Fri 20-Oct-17 12:05:44

Honestly, sometimes alcohol is good at showing you what you really want by taking away your inhibitions... just go any have fun smile

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:06:41

edgar what does YOLO mean?

I'm going to have a look at my dresses just now, and find out what sort of wedding it is later on to make the final decision. That is if we get on and I go...

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:08:26

Oh thanks idrink now I'm bloody terrified!!!

EdgarAllanPO Fri 20-Oct-17 12:15:09

You only live once. It was trendy a while ago now my dc roll their eyes so hard I can actually hear them.

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:21:23

Oh crapsticks, I've just realised I have no shoes, assuming wellies or flip flops won't cut it. And I don't own a bra. I might have to go shopping... I have however located some dresses and will have a trying on session.

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 12:25:04

You don't own a bra?? shock

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 12:27:29

Nope moany I've got the worlds smallest boobs and find bra's really uncomfortable.

Carrotgirl999 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:38:08

Im such a lurker I never comment on anything but had to come out of hiding for this. I met my now DP online, and our first date was the day before my good friends wedding... the date went so well that he came as my +1 to the wedding the following day, met all my friends and we had a great time! Fast forward a few months and we live together and couldnt be happier! sometimes worth a risk i think smile x

AndrewJames Fri 20-Oct-17 12:40:47

Then why does it matter if you don't own a bra?

Moanyoldcow Fri 20-Oct-17 12:49:05

Then you don't need one! I'd love to not have to wear a bra.

Have loads of fun tonight - good luck.

chitofftheshovel Fri 20-Oct-17 14:28:24

carrot that's a great story, filling me with hope.

I had to be near where he works whilst he was on his lunch break so we met up and had a quick chat. He seems really nice. I'm so freaking excited now!!!

Kidspetsandcakes Fri 20-Oct-17 14:42:41

Best of luck to you OP, hope you have a lovely time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now