Talk

Advanced search

Halloween one

(20 Posts)
Cantshedmymuffintop Thu 19-Oct-17 23:59:13

I must firstly say I don't mind Halloween. We accept kids coming to the door and I let my little ones dress up and give out the sweets.

Now the school they go to is classed as mainstream, not religious, or at least that's what I thought and other parents I've spoken to have confirmed.

Crux of my AIBU, they won't throw a Halloween disco. I'm led to believe that the head is against it. Now in my view it's a pretty harmless evening where I'd prefer my children (primary age) be entertained than go knocking on strangers doors, so I'm really confused why a school would be so against it?

I attended a C of England school myself and the local vicar helped run the Halloween disco out of the church hall so I really don't understand why it's so offensive, but am willing to be educated if someone can explain why it is to some people.

Kentnurse2015 Fri 20-Oct-17 00:03:20

Why would they?

Cantshedmymuffintop Fri 20-Oct-17 00:05:51

To make money. It's always raised at PTA evenings but firmly rejected as they won't allow it. Loads of local schools do it

Kentnurse2015 Fri 20-Oct-17 00:07:39

I don't see the issue. You are being unreasonable to be bothered by it. If they haven't done one in previous years why would they bother now? I'm pretty sure schools have plenty of other ways of making money.

Cantshedmymuffintop Fri 20-Oct-17 00:14:46

I just think it's a bit bah humbug. We loved our discos as kids and think it's sad that they are so boring

SomethingNewToday Fri 20-Oct-17 00:17:34

Perhaps the teachers would rather be at home and taking their own dc trick or treating rather than overseeing a school disco?

nancy75 Fri 20-Oct-17 00:19:26

Most school disco are overseen by the parents & the pta not teachers. I’ve never seen a teacher helping at an after school disco

Cantshedmymuffintop Fri 20-Oct-17 00:22:01

Once a year for say 2 hours? The parents do most of the arranging anyway (long term PTA atendee). Besides it falls on our half term so the teachers will get the week off with their children which is more than I'll get!

Cantshedmymuffintop Fri 20-Oct-17 00:23:02

Should add I don't expect them to come in during half term, but have it before they go off

BlondeB83 Fri 20-Oct-17 00:25:53

The teachers run the Halloween disco at our school, not a parent in sight!

Cantshedmymuffintop Fri 20-Oct-17 00:28:51

Wow, you have good teachers!

SomethingNewToday Fri 20-Oct-17 09:49:44

Mainly it's teachers at our school too...the odd PTA member now and again helping but always teachers as the main supervisors.

araiwa Fri 20-Oct-17 09:51:43

why dont you organise a halloween party?

Ifailed Fri 20-Oct-17 09:55:00

Besides it falls on our half term I think that is the reason.The school will likely be closed, especially in the evening.

ownedbySWD Fri 20-Oct-17 09:59:22

Our school doesn't do discos at all. I've only just realised!

Danceswithwarthogs Fri 20-Oct-17 10:47:01

There are lots of events our school will and won't do.... For e.g. they're not big on children in need/comic relief but do other charity events, one year they hosted a circus instead of summer fayre to give organisers/volunteers a year off.

Not even sure when/why Halloween became such a "thing" (lots of kids find it scary, costumes are often distasteful, flammable and expensive and there's an expectation to fill the kids with sugar) that's besides any more specific/religious objections people may have.

Why not just do a small fun party at home with a few friends rather than expecting school to lay on a disco?

MiaowTheCat Fri 20-Oct-17 11:09:56

We don't do a Halloween disco either. Often falls in half terms, not everyone supports it as a festival, and it just falls between lots of other PTA stuff that goes on during this which is probably the busiest term of the year in terms of PTA events.

MiaowTheCat Fri 20-Oct-17 11:11:17

Plus loads of other places in the local community put on stuff for Halloween so there's the issue of attendance being actually spread too thinly across lots of stuff. With things like Christmas discos you can stagger them a lot more but Halloween is one specific date you're stuck to being on or very close to.

Kentnurse2015 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:35:20

I find it bizarre that it's even an issue to be honest. We have a pumpkin, my children dress up and give sweets to other children but I would never be annoyed at a school for not having a disco confused

Glumglowworm Fri 20-Oct-17 11:41:22

Halloween is during half term in lots of places

If you really want a disco then why not offer to organise one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now