Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if you can foster and work?

(26 Posts)
Aprildaisie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:47:26

Or is being a foster mum your job iykwim?

scrabbler3 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:26:45

One of the trainers at my workplace is a foster dad but his wife is a SAHM. I imagine that with preschoolers, one of you'd be expected to be a SAHP. I don't know though!

Peachyking000 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:30:43

My parents worked full time and fostered primary school age children. There's such a shortage of foster parents in many areas, they often don't insist on SAHP.

Aprildaisie Thu 19-Oct-17 22:31:32

Ooh, thanks smile

Havingahorridtime Thu 19-Oct-17 22:36:31

It depends on the fostering agency and the ages of the children you will be fostering. Ideally though one of the foster parents will be at home full time because foster children often have a lot of emotional problems and they need additional support which can't always be given when needed if the foster parents are at work. There is such s chronic shortage of foster parents that many agencies are now accepting people who work full time but it isn't ideal.

FenceSitter01 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:38:02

At £460 a week per child, more with SEN, would you need to work?

Aprildaisie Thu 19-Oct-17 22:38:44

Is it that much?

I suppose the worry is what happens if you don't have a child.

ReinettePompadour Thu 19-Oct-17 22:40:50

It depends on the age range you are fostering and their individual needs.

You might be able to work if you and your partner have flexible working. Although I found having school age foster children meant pretty much every day I was in school for one reason or another. I occasionally looked after SEN children and every week was at a different appointment. Most employers would not permit that sort of flexibility so working would be extremely difficult.

FenceSitter01 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:42:04

The woman round the corner from me has an extended semi, she fosters teenage girls, as a business (many reasons why I don't approve), she has up to 6 at any given time. It's lucrative.

However, if you have your own children I would not foster. Call it privileged information, so I'm not going into details, but you really don't know what you are bringing into your home and I've dealt with two cases of fostered child sexually abusing the host children.

ReinettePompadour Thu 19-Oct-17 22:53:44

Is it that much? It depends entirely who you foster for. Your local council will be lucky to give you £120 a week per child, I even know someone who gets just £50 per week. Private fostering 'pays' more up to £500 per week for the most challenging children in some areas.

You will note I put 'pays' because the vast majority of my 'pay' was used to replace all the stolen items, repair the extensive damage to property, cover some of the cost of my house insurance....oh and towards the solicitors fees.

Dont think nice happy children will be sent to live with you. They are often very damaged children and no amount of kindness from you can break the habits of those most affected by their terrible lives. They have often seen and experienced things you could only imagine.

Its bloody hard and nearly broke my marriage several times. My own children have suffered at the hands of some of these children and eventually we had to stop looking after them because my children had to come first. I had to put locks on my doors on more than 1 occasion.

Think about it very carefully and I can only recommend research then research some more. Its not for everyone.

FenceSitter01 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:06:18

Our council has adverts out quoting £460 per child per week.

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Thu 19-Oct-17 23:08:49

Most places will expect you to not work. It's not just about the needs of the child's it's about the availability to attend LAC reviews and other meetings.

If you're interested in teenagers though have a look at supported Lodgings. You can work and do that.

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Thu 19-Oct-17 23:10:18

reinette £120 is very very low. The LA I work for pays £380 a week for a child on average. That's pretty high but I'd say the average is over 300.

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Thu 19-Oct-17 23:11:17

fencesitter it's literally against fostering regulations to foster six kids at a time. You can't have more than 3 unless it is a sibling group.

Jellycatspyjamas Thu 19-Oct-17 23:11:53

It depends on the agency/local authority - I know the ones near me says foster carers shouldn't have paid employment which is why they pay a retainer and an allowance per child. I'd wonder how much capacity/flexibility you'd need from an employer is a child was placed with you - there'd be a range of meetings and trainings to attend and the child/children will need you to be available for them.

Would be worth looking at the fostering board on adoption Uk.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:15:06

Dh is a social worker for a fostering agency. I'd say 400 or so a week is normal and there is a sahp. The children need a lot of support and there are meetings to attend.

The foster parents work hard for that money.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:16:07

Being a main foster parent is your job.

Mrsknackered Thu 19-Oct-17 23:22:16

You definitely have to have a SAHP.
As a foster parent you are very important in the adoption process too, so you will be working alongside the social workers and families. You have to be present for meetings.

FenceSitter01 Thu 19-Oct-17 23:30:42

Maybe she runs it as childrens home, my dealings were superficial in another capacity. I certainly dealt with the two children she removed. The term 'foster' was used on official paper work. And the children referred to her has 'foster carer'. I know what goes on in her house, I see the comings and goings. What your council literally allows maybe isn't what ours literally allows.

But because I literally think that's bull I went and checked: you can foster as many as you can cope with, provided you have the room, and each child has its own room.

AdalindSchade Thu 19-Oct-17 23:33:37

Foster carers for primary age need one carer at home the majority of the time. There will be a lot of meetings and training days and they will need collecting after school (not sent with childminder or to after school club). You could probably manage a flexible job of 16 hours a week but certainly not full time.

TheDonald Thu 19-Oct-17 23:41:59

I foster and work but I'm a respite / short break carer. I work full time and foster one weekend a month and sometimes take annual leave to take her on holiday.

Our la allows full time carers to work but prefers that you don't use wraparound care so that means either part time work or 2 carers working different shifts.

Their pay is rubbish though (£120 a week until you build up some experience) so I couldn't afford to give up work to do it.

If I chose to do it full time I'd register with a private agency.

1haudyerwheesht Thu 19-Oct-17 23:57:44

I am a SW within adoption and fostering for a Scottish LA.

There are different types of fostering;

-respite/short breaks. Generally these children still live with family or you provide respite for other foster Carers

- Short term fostering. These placements can last anything up to two years (and beyond) Generally these children have been accommodated from the community. They will remain in short term duster care until it is safe for them to return to family or move on to permanent care arrangements.

- Long term fostering. These children will have generally been in short term foster care prior to moving to a permanent foster placement. The child would remain with the foster caterer until adulthood. It is similar to adoption but there will be reasons why the child cannot be adopted.

Within my LA you can work when providing respite care. It can be possible to return to work whilst providing a permanent placement. Short term fostering requires one cater to be at home. You will be very busy. The children will have contact with birth family (you may have to provide transport) and there will be numerous meetings to ensure the child's needs are being met and a care plan is being followed.

As far as 'pay' goes it us split into two. The care will receive an allowance for the child (around £150 a week depending on the age of the child) and £150 allowance for themselves.

RedastheRose Fri 20-Oct-17 00:12:36

A friend fosters teens, she also works ft and is single.

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Fri 20-Oct-17 00:48:54

fence I said literally because it is the law. Schedule 7 of the Children Act 1989 limits the number of children who may be fostered by a foster carer. The “usual fostering limit” is set at 3. This means that no one may foster more than 3 children unless:

The foster children are all siblings in relation to each other

Exemptions can only be granted by the local authority within whose area the foster carer lives and only in relation to specific placements, and

The foster carer’s terms of approval allow it (any terms of approval must be compatible with the number of children the foster carer is caring for even if an exemption to the usual fostering limit has been granted, unless the placement is an emergency and for less than 6 days)

A local authority cannot grant an exemption to the usual fostering limit to a foster carer living outside of its area.

Aprildaisie Fri 20-Oct-17 07:56:36

Thanks, it is all very helpful. (I was a FC myself; I know many of us are awful hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now