Talk

Advanced search

Petulant boss and quitting job

(4 Posts)
blairwaldorff Thu 19-Oct-17 21:45:08

Hi all! After a lot of consideration and looking from all the angles I decided to resign from my job. I've been working in a lovely company and I wish I could carry on, but my monthly salary is going completely into childcare so I might stay at home with DS.

Few days ago I told my immediate boss my intentions to leave and he said "how come?" I explained and he "thanks for letting me know", mentioned about paying again the recruitment agency etc.

Next day I went to speak to the manager and he was very empathetic towards me, did not want me to leave and that he understands how difficult it is to be a mother and also work because he knows the struggle his wife had in the past. He suggested that I could take holidays combined with some unpaid leave, return to work in December (which is the busiest month and I have my husband at home to look after our DC). I would still be there for their worst month of the year and also give them more time to find a replacement. I found this a lovely idea has I enjoy my work, my colleagues and I would like to be helpful in December.

Today I went to my boss with this suggestion and the dates (take holiday in November + unpaid leave, returning in December). He said "well, I don't care" and I said "but if I give my notice in October then...?" And he said "you still need to work your 4 weeks anyway" when he know that I could not stay in November no matter what.

AIBU to find him petulant? I was trying to leave with less disturbance as possible, coming back to work in the worst month for them, get an unpaid leave etc and I hear "I don't care" from him.

My husband suggested that I go tomorrow to the manager and explain that my boss doesn't care when I leave anyway so no reason for me to stick around. My husband would get a parental leave from his job so he can stay with our DS whilst I work my notice period.

Well if you read through all my post, many thanks! And can you please give me your opinions on this? Should I give my notice tomorrow and let them sort themselves for December? AIBU for being a bit crossed by his lack of empathy and consideration?

WitchesHatRim Thu 19-Oct-17 21:47:15

My husband would get a parental leave from his job so he can stay with our DS whilst I work my notice period.

Is that s given? Employers can defer parental leave requests.

blairwaldorff Thu 19-Oct-17 21:59:35

yes, it is! He already spoke to the HR

blairwaldorff Thu 19-Oct-17 22:01:08

yes, it is! He already spoke to the HR

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now