Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Loo v Toilet

(132 Posts)
Theaspidistraiswilting Thu 19-Oct-17 21:25:43

We say loo in our house. Every time my kids ask to go to the loo at school the staff won’t let them go until they ask properly to go to the toilet... They are confused! I am probably being unreasonable but aren’t both acceptable?

kaytee87 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:27:33

That’s ridiculous! Loo is usually considered the polite term for the toilet. I always say loo.

DeadDoorpost Thu 19-Oct-17 21:29:40

It's to do with class etc for years back. Don't even remember which way round *e.g. loo for upper class toilet for lower class

Anyway, I'd say it doesn't matter personally but then again I've not been at school for years depending on age... I don't vaguely remember teacher preferring we said 'toilet' though as it sounded cleaner. I didn't say loo for years.

fluffiphlox Thu 19-Oct-17 21:29:54

My FIL only says ‘lavatory’. He is 89 though.
Personally I think ‘loo’ is fine in 2017.

Moanyoldcow Thu 19-Oct-17 21:30:31

www.debretts.com/debretts-a-to-z/l/loo/

Send the teacher this link grin

lostpurplehoodie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:30:35

You’ll get lots of people saying toilet is completely unacceptable, even though Tatler says it’s ok now grin but it does put people firmly in the PLT brigade.

We say loo and I got told off at the age of 30 in a restaurant by asking where the loo was as how was the waiter supposed to know what loo meant. I suppose that toilet is a much more international word so much more understandable.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-Oct-17 21:32:36

Get them to ask to go to the bogs instead?

RoseWhiteTips Thu 19-Oct-17 21:33:08

The word “toilet” is the word used at school. How do you imagine the word Loo would look on a sign or signs in school!? Laughable, that’s how.

I use “loo”or “bathroom” at home but school is a different matter altogether.

Topseyt Thu 19-Oct-17 21:33:25

We use both words in this house. Both are perfectly acceptable.

BuzzKillington Thu 19-Oct-17 21:33:34

Toilet was a swear word in my house growing up and I do cringe if I hear anyone say it.

My parents would always say lavatory, but we say loo as a less pompous variant.

c3pu Thu 19-Oct-17 21:33:46

Yabu.

Just refer to it as the bog, or crapper.

kaytee87 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:35:16

rose no one is asking the school to change their signage though... just to let kids use the loo / toilet when they ask to in a perfectly understandable way.

Theaspidistraiswilting Thu 19-Oct-17 21:36:04

So how does one gently inform the school that I don’t want my children to raise eyebrows? Can’t afford a school that will accept loo!

kaytee87 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:37:11

Tbh op to make life easy I’d just ask your kids to call it a toilet at school. It is silly though.

lostpurplehoodie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:37:34

You could get them to misquote Jilly Cooper “my mummy says that toilet is a worse word than fuck”, though in her case it was pardon.

Cavender Thu 19-Oct-17 21:37:43

I’m not sure why your D.C. are confused? Just tell them to say “toilet” at school if that’s what their teachers require. It’s not difficult.

My D.C. had to learn to say “restroom” when we moved to the US as toilet isn’t considered very polite here and “loo” is unheard of.

Theaspidistraiswilting Thu 19-Oct-17 21:37:47

Bog is my preferred alternative... do you think they will agree to that?

lostpurplehoodie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:38:45

Technically bog is more socially acceptable than toilet. grin

Theaspidistraiswilting Thu 19-Oct-17 21:39:24

I know they could say toilet but I feel aggrieved that they are not allowed to say loo!

KERALA1 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:43:33

Way back in the mists of time the following words were seen as lower middle class and pretentious - said by working class people trying to be posh.

Toilet, pardon, settee, serviette - maybe more.

The real upper class said loo, sorry, sofa and napkin.

Saying the former marks you out as a lower middle. Not sure any of this applies now though <can you tell I read far too much jilly cooper and Nancy Mitford as a teen grin >

Bobbingalongwithwineandchocs Thu 19-Oct-17 21:46:11

My DH insists on calling it a bathroom, even though there are no baths in the toilets in Tesco and I have tried telling him this for years!!! thlsmile

Topseyt Thu 19-Oct-17 21:46:28

I wouldn't waste energy being aggrieved over such a non-issue.

Just tell them to say toilet in school and that outside of school they can refer to the loo, bog, shitter or whatever they want at home.

Noeuf Thu 19-Oct-17 21:46:33

The real upper class said loo, sorry, sofa and napkin.

I think 'what' not 'sorry'

Incitatus Thu 19-Oct-17 21:49:23

Lav or netty would bring a little vintage charm into the classroom environment smile

Anticyclone Thu 19-Oct-17 21:49:24

Hmm I consider myself pretty middle class, but toilet seems the most obvious word to me. Loo seems so affected and twee. Am I an abberation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now