Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what £5k a month would get you in London?

(14 Posts)
EmilyEvasive Thu 19-Oct-17 20:51:06

No, I don’t have this sort of money to spend!

Heard of someone today who pays this. Regular person and ‘normal’ job.

Live in Ireland so have no clue really about London prices!

Crunchymum Thu 19-Oct-17 20:53:49

They pay this for what? Rent? Mortgage?

It's an insane amount, even for London.

Someone paying 5k (I assume) for accommodation would be earning a very high salary.

Moanyoldcow Thu 19-Oct-17 20:54:16

What do you mean 'get you'?

There are people in London living on much more and much less than this.

There are houses down the road that cost nearly that to rent. The other way you can rent something similar for £2k.

CruCru Thu 19-Oct-17 20:54:46

I’ve found a pretty nice flat in West Hampstead for £1.1k a week here.

Paddingtonthebear Thu 19-Oct-17 20:56:54

£5k a month in rent would get you a 5 bedroom cliff top house with sea views here on the south coast

EmilyEvasive Thu 19-Oct-17 20:58:28

I thought that for that price a month you would be living in extremely luxurious accommodation.

It’s rent.

I had a little google there and am shocked!

KindergartenKop Thu 19-Oct-17 21:00:18

Round here a one bedroom flat is about 1k a month.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 19-Oct-17 21:13:56

£5k will rent you an utterly bog standard house in London but in a really desirable area.

Literally a nice Victorian house like mine, but in Kensington.

In fact £5k doesn’t quite cover it sometimes. The ones with really modern kitchens are £2k a week,

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 19-Oct-17 21:16:53

In Image 20 of that West Hampstead apartment, why would people sit with their back to the television?

bungaloid Thu 19-Oct-17 21:48:10

Well that's about a million pound mortgage. Not many jobs support that. I suppose if you can only do your job in London then it's what you do. Madness to me.

Grilledaubergines Thu 19-Oct-17 21:54:21

In one of the wealthier areas, not a huge amount but in a regular London town where people earning ‘normal’ salaries it’s probably not much different to some other parts of the country where costs are high.

You can’t compare central London prices realistically with anything, but the rest of London/Greater London is occupied by people who don’t have huge incomes necessarily.

A1Sharon Thu 19-Oct-17 21:56:41

Someone I know rents their beautiful 4 bed in highgate for £1500 a week, so £5000 should get you something decent!

whoopwhoop21 Thu 19-Oct-17 22:17:07

Nearly spat my tea out!

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-67377551.html

CruCru Thu 19-Oct-17 23:11:08

I should think that whoever would rent the 8 bedroom in Clapham would have their rent paid by their company OR it would be an (expensive) houseshare between 8 professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now