Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think using oven on a timer for stews a few times a week may be cheaper than buying a slow cooker?

(23 Posts)
Tigertoes Thu 19-Oct-17 16:12:57

Apparently we "must get a slow cooker", says DSis. For stews and things. But my oven has a timer and I bung stuff in there to do it's thing a couple of times a week. Why do I want a slow cooker? Isn't it just another "thing"?

PinkSnowAndStars Thu 19-Oct-17 16:14:32

I love my slow cooker. I chuck stuff in for a casserole, or a gammon joint and it’s ready at dinner time.

Best invention ever.

GraciesMansion Thu 19-Oct-17 16:15:19

Slow cookers use far less energy than your oven, like running a lightbulb if I remember correctly?

amusedbush Thu 19-Oct-17 16:15:49

I hate my slow cooker. I make pulled pork in it and that's it.

I've tried every casserole/stew recipe out there, I've adjusted the water levels and still it turns out watery, tasteless slop. I'm a decent cook with a normal cooker so it's not just me! grin

WindyWednesday Thu 19-Oct-17 16:17:28

I think it works with meat. But being veggie it's never worked for me. The oven on low is as good.

Goldfishshoals Thu 19-Oct-17 16:18:11

Slow cooker uses much less energy than an oven. If you are doing slow cooker type recipes twice a week then the slow cooker is definately cheaper, but yes, will take up more space in the kitchen.

I very rarely do slow cooker type meals so am happy to use the oven, but it's obviously not as efficient.

Tigertoes Thu 19-Oct-17 16:18:42

But how many times would I have to use it to make buying it worth It? Why can't I just stew things bungee in my normal oven? Environmentally which is likely to be less imlactfil?

Blankscreen Thu 19-Oct-17 16:19:01

I'm like pp the only thing that turns out ok is pulled pork the rest is just tasteless and horrible.

I've actually just broken mine and I'll not rushing to replace it.

FreeMeNow Thu 19-Oct-17 16:19:11

I've adjusted the water levels and still it turns out watery, tasteless slop. I'm a decent cook with a normal cooker so it's not just me!

Maybe not but you're in the minority!

FuzzyOwl Thu 19-Oct-17 16:21:34

Oven cookers can be great as you can prepare everything and turn it on to cook many hours before you want to eat, then forget about it. However, I find meals don't thicken and although meat is really tender I often prefer food cooked for a long time and at a low temperature in my oven.

Slow cookers are usually cheap to buy and really cheap to buy, but you would still need to use it plenty of times before making it worthwhile.

Tigertoes Thu 19-Oct-17 16:22:33

I think my spellcheck has been in a slow cooker...

makeourfuture Thu 19-Oct-17 16:23:48

Beans and rice!

amusedbush Thu 19-Oct-17 16:24:42

Maybe not but you're in the minority!

That may be but I've definitely seen the same complaints online. So a minority, but not THAT small a group.

kaytee87 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:25:51

My slow cooker was only £30, bought it 4 years ago and use it all the time. You sometimes need to leave the lid half off for things to thicken slightly and it doesn’t do mince well but for everything else it’s great.
I don’t like having my oven on a lot as the door gets hot and I have a toddler so would rather something out of reach on the counter.

LaurieMarlow Thu 19-Oct-17 16:27:44

I like bunging the ingredients in a pot in my normal oven at about 8pm, then the oven goes on normal for 2-3 hours, at which point I turn it off and let everything sit there overnight and in the morning its perfectly cooked.

NannyR Thu 19-Oct-17 16:32:39

I'm another one who's not that struck with a slow cooker. I've made stew using exactly the same ingredients in the oven and slow cooker and it is much tastier when oven cooked. I find slow cooked chicken and mince dishes are too soft textured for me.
It does make lovely porridge though - that's the only thing I use it for now.

CakeUpWall Thu 19-Oct-17 16:34:09

I personally wouldn't leave a casserole in the oven for a few hours before it starts cooking on a timer setting. With the food sitting around at room temperature, especially if it includes meat, the potential for bacteria to have a field day would worry me.

I use my slow cooker a few times per week, with great results. I find that if I leave out the liquid altogether (except wine, obviously grin) from standard recipes then the consistency is perfect.

When I started using slow cookers a few years ago, the reduction in our energy bills was significant; it really made a difference.

thecakefairy Thu 19-Oct-17 16:34:48

For anyone who is not getting on with their slow cooker you need a copy of 'Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipe Book'

I use mine all the time. It is a bit of a learning curve to get the liquid/thickness of sauce balance. Cornflour helps but added at the end.
Joints of meat, especially pork & gammon are superb.
I'm just about to invest in a halogen oven as well, as I just can't justify turning the oven on for one tiny meal.
Cost wise, my oven will not run just off solar powered energy but my slow cooker does, so in effect, with solar panels, it runs all day for free.
I have no doubt the slow cooker is much cheaper.

Brittbugs80 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:31:20

My slow cooker is about 10 years old now. Cost me £45 from Asda. It's used a lot, this week for example it's been on every day and we've had chicken casserole, stew, chilli and spaghetti Bolognese. I've also doubled the ingredients in each meal and now have another two weeks worth of meals frozen.

I keep it in the cupboard with my pans.

Needadvicetoleave Thu 19-Oct-17 19:36:19

My slow cooker was £12. Good job too as I hate it. Much better in the oven. No matter what recipe or how little water I use, it never thickens and is just like manky water.

AnneBiscuit Thu 19-Oct-17 20:10:32

thecakefairy - I've got a halogen oven and use it all the time. Would definitely recommend getting one.

KindergartenKop Thu 19-Oct-17 20:19:17

Join the 'slow cooked wonders' group on FB. There's some crazy shit being cooked on there but also some great ideas.

NoodieRoodie Thu 19-Oct-17 20:30:06

We got a slow cooker the year we got married, present from MIL. We've been married 7 years, it got used for 1 (unsuccessful apart from rice pudding), stored for 2, then given away! This year we got a new cooker and top of my shopping list was an auto cook function as my last one had it and I can't live without it now! I tend to use it most in winter when we don't have heating on, house is cold so no worry about food poisoning or I shove everything in the oven and it turns itself on half an hour later while I'm halfway through the school run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now