Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask a question about post-breastfeeding breasts!

(10 Posts)
monkeymamma Thu 19-Oct-17 12:38:30

Since I had DC and breastfed them each for a year or two, I've noticed my left nipple is often inverted (not all the time). DH is convinced this is potentially serious and I need to see my GP. I thought it was just a normal post-breastfeeding thing (my breasts are very different now than they were pre-DC!). They feel fine, no pain, no lumps. I've checked properly like it says on the website. Anyone else experience similar? Or is it just a get-thee to the GP scenario? I know it's stupid of me, but we have literally no female GP at the surgery, the male GPs change on a weekly basis (always a locum on duty), I try to avoid going as much as possible. I know that's stupid and potentially dangerous. This just doesn't feel like a 'thing' if you know what I mean. I would ignore awkward GPs and general rubbishness of the surgery if it felt like a 'thing'. I always take DC if they need to go, of course, and always badger DH to go. Argh. Hope you can help me, MNers!

Liskee Thu 19-Oct-17 12:41:15

Go to the GP. Chances are it's a post breastfeeding thing, but why would you take the chance?

Get it seen to, and if you feel concerned about there being a male GP, ask for a female nurse to be present when they're examining you. My surgery does this as the norm anyway, but don't know if it's general practice or just them.

DustyMaiden Thu 19-Oct-17 12:41:56

Any changes should be checked, not worth the gamble.

IME breastfeeding cured my inverted nipple.

Probably nothing but don’t chance it.

Misspollyhadadollie Thu 19-Oct-17 12:42:40

Mine are not like this and I've bf 4 children for 6 years with no stopping between.

TheMShip Thu 19-Oct-17 12:43:01

Yes, go get it checked out. It's probably not anything serious, but it could be an early sign of breast cancer. Your GP should refer you to the breast clinic for an ultrasound and possibly a mammogram. You have two young children. The younger you are, the more aggressive breast cancer usually is. I'm really not trying to scare you, the possibility is low, just trying to impress that the downside of ignoring it is potentially serious. I agree with your DH.

Jasminedes Thu 19-Oct-17 12:44:28

You probs need to get it checked out. Just explain on the phone that you might need a breast exam and can you see a female GP (or can a nurse practitioner assess). Weird that none of the locums are female, its unusual.

themorus Thu 19-Oct-17 12:50:02

I have this after bf two children, it probably is nothing but you should get your GP to check you out, they never mind. I have got mine checked for that and also for changes that suspected were benign changes after starting hrt (it was) Both times were OK and if the GP wasn't sure they referred me on to clinic for my peace of mind and theirs I think :-)

monkeymamma Thu 19-Oct-17 12:58:13

Thanks for the replies. I think I just needed someone (sensible - sorry DH!) to tell me to blooming well sort this. I've just made an appointment. They had a lady GP I could see and the receptionist (sometimes someone horrid) was like "you're a sensible girl, well done"!

TheMShip is completely right. There's a lot of breast cancer in my family history and I'm pretty sure my mum and sisters were having regular mammograms by my age (I'm 35). Not quite sure why I thought "uuurrrm it might be awkward at the GP" was a good enough excuse! Thank you again for making me see sense! :-)

TheMShip Thu 19-Oct-17 13:41:34

monkeymamma I'm glad you've got an appointment. In case you are referred to the breast clinic, I'll share a little about what it's like.

I'm about your age and I've was referred a couple of years ago when I found a suspected lump. It was a bit scary, but everyone was super kind and the consultant and technicians were all very gentle. The consultant does a thorough examination and marks in pen on your breasts the places they want the ultrasound technician to focus on. Then you go get the scan done, and wait until the consultant's had a chance to review the results. You see the consultant again and they tell you their opinion - most likely absolutely fine, as it was for me.

One more little bit of advice, if you get referred to the clinic, clear your whole day and take a good book. There's a lot of waiting around. Good luck!

monkeymamma Thu 19-Oct-17 21:17:13

TheMShip thank you for your kind words and advice. That’s really helpful! Glad everything was well with you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now