Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for advice and support on my problem?

(15 Posts)
Babyjunglesafari Thu 19-Oct-17 10:26:47

Posting for traffic need any ideas on how to solve a problem.

My stubborn 2 year old is refusing to go in a buggy, trolley or to walk. No toy, book or distraction works.

When I say refuse, it was the trolley he initially started hating, it became nearly impossible to get him in. If I did manage he’d climb out, if I managed to strap him in enough he’d scream all the way round and still trying to climb out.

Then he started doing the same with the pushchair. Arches his back, goes rigid, if I get him in he takes his arms out and throws himself forward or climbs out, it’s dangerous.

He was happily walking on reins, but is now refusing to walk and just sits on the floor.

Shopping, school run for eldest, walks have become impossible. I can’t keep carrying him he’s too heavy.

lurkingnotlurking Thu 19-Oct-17 11:06:24

Tricky. Is he old enough to respond to bribes (lollypops or stickers, etc) or to a star chart?

StrangeAndUnusual Thu 19-Oct-17 11:13:41

What about a buggy board? My DC are older now, but they used to like riding on the buggy board better than going in the pushchair when they were toddlers. You might need to put a handbag or something in the pushchair seat to weigh it down, so it doesn't tip backwards, depending on how sturdy the pushchair is.

Babyjunglesafari Thu 19-Oct-17 13:33:19

I think he’s too young for star charts etc. I could probably bribe him with crisps/sweets/choc, but as soon as they were gone he’d start again. Don’t really want to get into that habit either.

Haven’t tried buggy board that could possibly help. Although he won’t stand in a trolley (yes I’ve resorted to that).

I was hoping there’d be loads of mums with a miracle solution. It’s really getting me down, I had to completely abandon going to the shops this morning and I am desperate for some essentials.

lurkingnotlurking Thu 19-Oct-17 20:23:50

You might be surprised by the bribery thing. I only had to do it for a short while with my children. Either way, this really difficult phase should hopefully be short-lived. good luck

WhoWants2Know Thu 19-Oct-17 20:27:04

Scooter, and you can pull him some of the time? If he's not too heavy, you could use a back carrier. My youngest started using a balance bike at that age, but it was hard to keep up!

Namechangetempissue Thu 19-Oct-17 20:28:30

Agree with a buggy board -or maybe a push along car/trike?

Yellowmaiden Thu 19-Oct-17 20:33:05

Would a toddler sling be an option? I have one and find it comfortable. I know it might not be ideal for everyone but it might just work for those non-negotiable and essential journeys until he outgrows this phase!

Crumbs1 Thu 19-Oct-17 20:33:23

Proper harness that affixes to trolley seat or pushchair? Not the ones he can climb out of but reins harness.
Let someone else look after him whilst you shop?

GeorgeTheHamster Thu 19-Oct-17 20:36:47

There needs to be something in it for him. Can you tell him you are playing a game, counting the red cars, visiting the pony on the corner, going to buy a comic after pick up, anything at all.

stretchmarkqueenie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:19:39

My DC went through the same. I didn't want to leave the house! For the supermarket I invented 'trolley surfing' I let my DC stand in the trolley and make a big fuss of saying 'hold on!' and humming a surfing song. At first I'd just grab the essentials but now she will trolley surf through a weekly shop

stretchmarkqueenie Thu 19-Oct-17 21:22:23

Also got some of the colourful jute/hessian shopping bags and when getting an item off the shelf task DC with choosing a colour bag for it

Jamhandprints Thu 19-Oct-17 21:34:39

It sounds awful. My 3 year old was like this at that age. He still is often. A balance bike helped a lot. Walking the school run with friends sometimes helps. Sometimes I just have to let him have his cry (leave the house early) and found he snaps out of it eventually. Then we talk about it after. "We walked to school and you cried, didn't you? That was sad. But we still have to go to school. Would you like to bring a toy/ wear your sunglasses/ bring a blanket to pick up x tomorrow?"
In the trolley I always say "come on, I need you to drive it. But dont press the turbo booster cos we'll go too fast!" Then show him the "turbo booster" and go fast when he presses it. :-)

TooMinty Thu 19-Oct-17 21:47:24

I do online shopping for food and bribery for the school run but it’s not foolproof. I’m going to lurk here in case someone has a better idea! Scooter didn’t work as school is up a very steep hill...

GiBlues Thu 19-Oct-17 22:07:41

What about a smart trike sort of thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now