Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to make a fuss about DS's reading group at school?

(20 Posts)
slbhill42 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:36:50

DS is in primary 2 (I guess that's year 1 in England). They're doing Oxford Reading Tree at school, if that helps with the levels.

I had spoken to his teacher at the beginning of term because I think the reading books he's coming home are way too easy for him, and she said she would adjust the groups at half term. That seemed reasonable, so I waited. Now, just after half term the level 5 book before half term has been replaced by level 6. He is learning no new words, there is no challenge.

He told me the title of the book two of his classmates have and it's level 13. He had extra ("advanced") reading with one of those 2 children last year. I don't know how many groups there are.

He can be quite shy so it's possible that he doesn't read aloud as confidently at school as he does at home, but obviously as I'm not there at school I can't be sure.

I am worried he's going to get bored and disengaged but just now he's loving the books even though they are very easy.

Parents night is next week. I will bring this up - but how insistent should I be if the teacher sticks to her guns?

Sirzy Thu 19-Oct-17 09:39:48

Reading is about so much more than the words though. Is he fully understanding what he is reading? Is he reading it fluently and with confidence?

I would suggest continue reading with him at home, read a wide range of books and discuss them as you go and then leave the levels side of things to the teacher.

CotswoldStrife Thu 19-Oct-17 09:41:13

Well you say he is loving the books at the moment so it doesn't seem likely that he is getting bored! But he may do if he is struggling to read harder books.

I wouldn't compare with the other children in the class either. What is it that you think the teacher should be doing?

BarbarianMum Thu 19-Oct-17 09:49:22

I wouldn't make a fuss but i would go in and meet with the teacher and ask her to explain to you how your ds has been assessed, why she thinks the current level is the right one and what he needs to improve at to progress. I was a reading helper at Primary for years. IME teachers are pretty good at getting this right but you do get the odd child who is far more capable than they are happy to "show" at school and the odd one who is overlooked for some reason (admin cock up).

slbhill42 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:56:14

Sirzy
Yes he is fully understanding etc. He tends to slur some words but I recognise that - he's reading ahead. I have the same problem lol. That's what we've been doing, and will continue.

CotswoldStrife
I think the teacher should be assessing his reading and putting him in the appropriate group. I don't think she's got him in the appropriate group just now but obviously I'm open to accepting I'm wrong or I wouldn't have posted here, I'd've just marched in to the school, all guns blazing grin

BlueSapp Thu 19-Oct-17 09:56:40

Definatly, ask the teacher to explain why she thinks hes not ready for the higher level books and explain that you are afraid of him becoming board and if she says something you feel is right then thats ok but if you think she is wrong let her know. do you take him to the library? Perhaps you could imporve his confidence more for when he is infront of others, and then the Teacher will be able to see how he has come on with it.

confusedlittleone Thu 19-Oct-17 10:02:48

If he's slurring his words because he isn't taking his time then that will most likely be one of the reasons why

lookingbeyond40 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:06:44

Hi!! How is he with reading ‘new’ books. My son is fabulous at reading ones he has read before in class as he memorises the story. However he is more reluctant to try new books with me and struggles a little.

Does this make sense?

Caulk Thu 19-Oct-17 10:06:53

What’s his comprehension like? Often children who read ahead or read quickly miss some of what is actually happening. Try asking him questions after he read to you.

What kind of books is he reading at home? I doubt one easy book at school is going to bother him if he is reading what he wants at home

lookingbeyond40 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:07:07

Also he reads very quietly with no confidence. X

VodkaPenne Thu 19-Oct-17 10:07:16

It really makes no difference overall.

Reading levels aren’t designed to be the max a child can read to, they are what they can do confidently.

If you were living in some places abroad, he wouldn’t even be in school yet 😏 I’d just relax, and let him read what he likes at home.

slbhill42 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:33:21

How is he with reading ‘new’ books?
Absolutely fine. I did wonder at first if he was memorising but his new fascination is with the cartoon in his Gran's weekly newspaper, which he reads on his own. I'm 100% sure that's new to him!

Comprehension seems fine to me but it's a good question for me to ask his teacher too.

If he's slurring his words because he isn't taking his time then that will most likely be one of the reasons why
Isn't that going to make it worse though? He slurs when it's easy because he doesn't need to think about it. Again, it's a good question or me to ask.

He's read chunks of the Faraway Tree, Captain Underpants, the Famous Five on his own.

MsPassepartout Thu 19-Oct-17 10:39:54

I'd ask the teacher why he isn't being moved onto a new level yet - what does he need to improve on?

And in the meantime, read other books with him at home. Our local libraries stock lots of learner reading books, Oxford Reading Tree and other schemes, plus there's apps where you can read the reading books on tablets.

2014newme Thu 19-Oct-17 10:42:08

Can he comprehend and answer questions. Can he make inferences eg why dud the character do thus, what might the implications be
Does he read with expression

I've listened to a lot if readers in school and the monotone voices lend the to you thinking that they aren't understanding the text

2014newme Thu 19-Oct-17 10:43:22

Yes at home read whatever you like. Go to the library get a load of books he's interested in and read those. My dd stopped reading the schools books at the end of year 1 although she sometimes does get something from the school library.

CotswoldStrife Thu 19-Oct-17 11:01:25

But the teacher has assessed him - ask her why she thinks that level is appropriate for him. I suspect his comprehension/understanding of the text is the issue. Would it be possible for you to call in to school for a few minutes at the end of the day (by arrangement with the teacher) and have your son read to both of you? You'll be working from the same point of view then.

As PP have said, it's fine to broaden his reading at home. If only to save your own sanity, I am not a fan of Biff, Chip and Kipper.

HalfStar Thu 19-Oct-17 11:10:59

My dc is the same age but we are in ROI. They all get the same level books as far as I know. I don't think the whole school reading thing moves up a gear until next year here and I'm fine with that, in many other countries they wouldn't be reading at all.

DC is an excellent reader too and the books we get home are way too easy - but it hadn't occurred to me to mention it to the teacher. I don't really see the need since she reads loads of different stuff by herself at home? She just rolls her eyes at the easy school books and reads her own things. I don't think there's an issue with that but maybe I'm wrong.

KanyeWesticle Thu 19-Oct-17 12:29:09

Can you get hold of a higher level book and show the teacher he can read it?

GreenTulips Thu 19-Oct-17 12:34:19

How's Joan phonics knowledge

The reading scheme cover tis h phonics in order if you skip some he'll have gaps

Ask for 2/3 books a week instead of one

MagicMarkers Thu 19-Oct-17 12:38:16

I've done reading with children at year 2/3 level. Some children decode words fairly easily and sound good, but when you ask them questions about it they have no clue what they've just been reading. The parents' comments in the books will be something like "read really well tonight", but really their child doesn't understand. Do you ask questions about the text?

DS2 spent 6 months on one level in year 1, because of his expression. In the long run it doesn't really matter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: