Talk

Advanced search

Does our PM understand this at all? Trans

(332 Posts)
DarthMaiden Thu 19-Oct-17 02:03:23

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/19/trans-not-illness-theresa-may-says-vows-make-reforms/amp/

Equality for everyone!!! Hurrah!!

Apart from the fact that equality means the erosion of rights from 50% of the population.

But let’s jump on the bandwagon of being cool and accepting....and not doing any research into the subject, for example how drugs that suppress puberty can result in life limiting side effects.

Let’s not talk about men convicted of rape who end up in women’s prisons or the medals won by men competing in women’s sport.

Agghh

araiwa Thu 19-Oct-17 03:11:22

Trans people still face indignities and prejudice - when they deserve understanding and respect

she wasnt wrong

Morphene Thu 19-Oct-17 03:27:48

so is gender dysphoria definitely NOT and illness anymore? When did that happen? Have we also decided that people who don't think their limbs belong to them are not suffering from an illness? What about people with body dysmorphic disorder? No longer a disorder?

Or is it just that we've thrown all the science/fact/information out the window?

SuperBeagle Thu 19-Oct-17 03:32:51

I agree with her.

Lallypopstick Thu 19-Oct-17 03:34:22

What’s your AIBU?

Morphene Thu 19-Oct-17 03:36:48

Why is wanting to chop your functioning arm off considered to be a mental illness...but wanting to chop your functioning genitals off is considered either absolutely fine or a physical problem to be solved with surgery?

I honestly don't understand the difference.

TitaniasCloset Fri 20-Oct-17 00:39:42

There must be some conspiracy going on with this trans thing, the way they are pushing it on us and not allowing any real debate all of a sudden. Why I don't know, but something really is wrong.

dinosaursandtea Fri 20-Oct-17 00:45:26

It isn’t a mental illness, loathe as I am to agree with May. And extending rights to some people does not mean eroding them from others. That’s ridiculous.

intergalacticbrexitdisco Fri 20-Oct-17 00:49:20

Morph - An arm is not generally an important factor in defining so completely a) a person's basic identity and b) their sexual identity.

MyDcAreMarvel Fri 20-Oct-17 00:57:46

And extending rights to some people does not mean eroding them from others. That’s ridiculous.

Of course it erodes others rights, the right to a female only prison, toilet, refuge, changing room etc
The right to compete in sporting events with others of the same physical make up.
All eroded.

dinosaursandtea Fri 20-Oct-17 00:58:56

Nope. They will still be women only. Because trans women are women.

BahHumbygge Fri 20-Oct-17 01:05:21

Dinosaursandtea

Please could you define what a woman is?
How do I know whether I am a woman or not?

kali110 Fri 20-Oct-17 01:14:59

Good, being transgender does not mean you have an illness.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 20-Oct-17 02:04:01

And extending rights to some people does not mean eroding them from others. That’s ridiculous.

Of course it can. Not just in this case. There was the recent case of women being moved to accommodate the 'right' of religious men to sit away from women. A clear case of a religious right and a human right conflicting. Free speech vs. freedom from hearing hate speech. And on and on. Let's not pretend rights don't conflict. Of course they can.

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 20-Oct-17 02:06:53

As I recently discovered, there are more trans murderers in the UK than transgender victims of murder. One more appeared in the papers just this week.

The UK is not South America. There is no epidemic of trans murder in the UK. Why is this group being catapulted to the front of the line for services and all opposition ignored, when the boogeyman they're calling out isn't even real?

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 20-Oct-17 02:22:24

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3064926-More-trans-murderers-than-murder-victims-in-UK

TinyRick Fri 20-Oct-17 02:38:13

If 'trans is not an illness' then why the need for medical treatments and surgeries? confused

Albadross Fri 20-Oct-17 02:48:21

Inter actually having a disability is very much part of an identity. Deaf people have their own language, their own culture. Wheelchair users take part in wheelchair only sports.

Your brain feeling you have a limb you shouldn't have is exactly the same as your brain feeling you have a penis you shouldn't have. Exactly the same.

user1492877024 Fri 20-Oct-17 02:51:26

BahHumbygge Fri 20-Oct-17 01:05:21
Dinosaursandtea

Please could you define what a woman is?
How do I know whether I am a woman or not?

Wow, please tell me this is meant as tongue in cheek. Do you really need to ask how you know whether you are a woman or not?

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Fri 20-Oct-17 03:27:06

Because trans women are women.

In danger of derailing but with that line of reasoning, would a white person who 'blacks up' be allowed to say they're now black or a poc? If not why not?

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 20-Oct-17 03:46:32

"Your brain feeling you have a limb you shouldn't have is exactly the same as your brain feeling you have a penis you shouldn't have. Exactly the same."

Except you're behind the times. Now, trans people say they don't need any physical or genital dysmorphia whatsoever, and don't need to even want to get rid of their penis or feel like it's not part of them. Males who are perfectly happy with their genitals now call those genitals "ladysticks," "girldicks," and other pleasant little names.

In fact, it's seen as bigoted to believe that trans people should need to be dysphoric in order to transition. In trans circles, trans people who adopt this position are referred to as "truscum."

ALittleBitOfButter Fri 20-Oct-17 04:23:54

Don't forget the helpful recommendations that women should call tbeir vaginas "front holes" so they don't trigger trans women. And "chest feeding". To be inclusive, women are now no longer able to refer to their anatomy using the correct words. Of course transwomen are allowed to use these words. Readers new to this issue should be aware that there is disagreement in the trans community about self-identification but "trans allies" always ignore the ones who have gender dysphoria and agree with the sexual fetishists.

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 20-Oct-17 05:14:44

Totally agree Darth. I worry for my dd. And for all vulnerable women.

AdalindSchade Fri 20-Oct-17 05:41:12

Nope. They will still be women only. Because trans women are women

How are transwomen women? What is a woman?

liminality Fri 20-Oct-17 05:55:07

biscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now