Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you for your best prioritisation strategies?

(13 Posts)
TheRealGussieFinkNottle Thu 19-Oct-17 00:08:32

AIBU to ask you for your best prioritisation strategies?

I'm rubbish at prioritisation. At the moment, my only strategy is to write a 'to-do' list and then rank everything on the list as '1' or '2', with '1' being most urgent and '2' being less urgent. Even then, I never seem to manage to actually decide what I can/should do first blush

Thanks smile

halesie Thu 19-Oct-17 00:15:33

Heh, me too. Supposed to be working now but it's too hard and boring so am procrastinating.

The pic is what you're supposed to do (have known this for years, never managed it properly yet).

I tend to run 2 to do lists - an overall one and a "today" one for everything that has to be done that day. I try to order the today list by urgency and note how long I think each job will take, to make sure it's realistic.

My very effective former boss used to set herself deadlines for matters - an hour for this, two for that, and stuck to it ruthlessly. I try but rarely manage it...

Out2pasture Thu 19-Oct-17 00:26:50

1) life or death urgent
2) jobs/tasks that can be done relatively quickly ( I need to tackle these so I can sit down and think)
3) longer jobs or tasks then broken down into subtasks (start and working on) hopefully it quickly goes into category 2 and finishing up is a rather quick job.

TheRealGussieFinkNottle Thu 19-Oct-17 10:32:25

Thanks everyone for your replies - just bumping this smile

ComingUpTrumps Thu 19-Oct-17 12:26:52

Hi OP - good thread smile I find using an
Eisenhower Matrix really helpful.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 19-Oct-17 13:18:15

Yes eisenhower matrix...

Some people thrive on ridiculously long to do lists...
I find them stressful...

I use pomodoro technique - look up app... Focus completely for 25 mins... Break for 5 mins, then start again..

BUT every day allocate one pomodoro to all the tasks which can be done in less than 5 mins...

Many of my tasks don't get even as far as a list

TheRealGussieFinkNottle Thu 19-Oct-17 16:42:06

Ooh thanks good idea about Eisenhower Matrixes and the Pomodoro technique - I'll look them up.

TheRealGussieFinkNottle Thu 19-Oct-17 22:21:08

Just bumping this smile

Hassled Thu 19-Oct-17 22:26:47

Start with the easy stuff. I do this at work - before I go home each night I write a list of where I am, what I need to sort the next day, even if it's just "reply to Fred's email about that invoice". Then when I get in in the morning I pick the easiest stuff first, just so I have the sense of achievement that I did deal with that email, I did finish that minor task. After that it feels much more achievable to move on to the more challenging stuff.

AlternativeTentacle Thu 19-Oct-17 22:27:57

i use outlook, and put the tasks in as an appointment. If something comes in that ismmore important i shift the tasks around. so much easier to see and manage. plus a bullet journal.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Fri 20-Oct-17 14:52:32

Other systems such as Kanban... Which is a visual system.. The most basic has 3 vertical columns.. With a backlog, work in progress, done columns...I find it useful in that I put quite a lot(which I may forget) in the backlog pile. You have stickers or some such, you can see what you have to do... Then you move stickers to other columns as you do the task... It's dynamic and completely visual! You can use trello to do this electronically

Brokenbiscuit Fri 20-Oct-17 23:45:17

I tend to use the outlook task list. I put time for significant, time-consuming tasks into my calendar and then add slots to deal with all the smaller itty bitty tasks in one session. The biggest challenge that I have is dealing with interruptions tbh. My team are constantly coming to me with questions or problems and I find it really hard to say no, so end up getting dragged away from my priorities much more than I would like. I want to be an approachable and supportive manager, but I want to use my time effectively as well. Haven't got the balance quite right yet.confused

GetOutOfMYGarden Fri 20-Oct-17 23:48:33

Weigh up how fucked you are if you don't do it vs how long you've got left before you're fucked. Prioritise accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now