Talk

Advanced search

WWYD?

(112 Posts)
Whattodo20177 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:53:19

More a WWYD really.

My neighbor has recently started leaving her bike in the communal hallway.

It is a pain to manoeuvre around with shopping etc as well as being a fire hazard

But I don’t want to ruffle feathers as she is a nice neighbour and the other neighbour in our block is a miserable complainer so I’m keen to keep her on nice neighbour’s side.

The bike doesn’t affect miserable neighbor as she is in the basement flat. Me and bike neighbour are the only ones who share this particular hallway.

The complicating issue is that I’m a professional pianist and so practice at least 4 hours a day. Only ever within the hours of 10am and 6pm though. She has always been complimentary about the music though whenever we’ve bumped into each other. But I’m worried that if I complain about the bike, she will turn and create bad blood.

WWYD?

Whattodo20177 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:54:30

Just to add, so not to drip feed, she rents and I own my flat.

Whattodo20177 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:56:05

But I don’t want to ruffle feathers as she is a nice neighbour and the other neighbour in our block is a miserable complainer so I’m keen to keep her on nice neighbour’s side.

Typos galore! I meant I’m keen to keep not be neighbour on side of course!

user21 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:56:15

It's tricky.
The bike in the hallway wouldn't bother me but the piano playing would drive me mad!

Whattodo20177 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:56:53

Argh! Bloody autocorrect! I’m keen to keep nice neighbor onside!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 18-Oct-17 23:57:03

What I'd do is to think if there's anywhere else she could leave her bike (that's secure etc) and if so suggest it to her.

Ragusa Wed 18-Oct-17 23:59:06

Hummmm. I would say ignore. On account of the piano. Relatively, the bike is less of an imposition. I lovdle any and all mysic but someone else playing for 4h per day could drive me demented.

Telstar99 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:59:13

Why is a bike in the hallway a fire hazard? confused

Where else can she put it? (Where it would be safely locked away?)

I would also rather have her as a neighbour with her bike in the hallway, than someone who plays the piano 4 hours a day! shock

SilverSpot Thu 19-Oct-17 00:01:34

Why is a bike in the hallway a fire hazard

It’s dark, the hallway isn’t full of smoke - you can’t get out because you get caught up in the bike.

Whattodo20177 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:03:14

Why is a bike in the hallway a fire hazard?

It’s a narrow hallway with little room to manoeuvre as it is. If there was a fire, the bike was knocked over and in the ensuing chaos someone died as a result, the person responsible could possibly be accountable for manslaughter.

Whattodo20177 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:03:40

Xpost

Telstar99 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:04:41

@Silverspot

you can’t get out because you get caught up in the bike.

That probably won't happen. (The bike in the hallway preventing people leaving the building.) I am willing to bet it's not blocking the way out of the front door OR blocking the bottom of the stairs.

I am sure the bike owner isn't stupid and puts it in a place where it's not an obstruction.

WorraLiberty Thu 19-Oct-17 00:04:47

See the piano playing would drive me nuts but it's not a fire hazard, unlike the bike.

After the awful Grenfell Tower fire, councils everywhere are coming down hard on this type of thing.

If you suggested a wall bracket to hang it on, would that be allowed?

Telstar99 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:06:27

It’s a narrow hallway with little room to manoeuvre as it is. If there was a fire, the bike was knocked over and in the ensuing chaos someone died as a result, the person responsible could possibly be accountable for manslaughter.

So the bike is blocking the bottom of the stairs, and also the way out of the door is it?

Ok then........

WorraLiberty Thu 19-Oct-17 00:06:31

Telstar anything stored in a narrow hallway is a fire hazard, if you can imagine people trying to escape, through dense black smoke.

Telstar99 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:07:27

We need a pic of this bike - and this tiny hall - that you couldn't swing a mouse round in.

Whattodo20177 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:07:48

I am willing to bet it's not blocking the way out of the front door OR blocking the bottom of the stairs.

You are wrong. It is in a small. narrow hallway right at the bottom of the stairs.

Telstar99 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:08:31

Hard to judge properly without seeing it.

PinkFlamingo888 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:08:42

I have this exact problem! Except in our case it started off as one bike from the upstairs neighbour and now it’s 2, still the upstairs neighbour and also the neighbour above him. The only access it blocks is ours as they’re in front of the steps leading down to our flat and it is a bloody pain with shopping and I’m sure it shouldn’t be allowed due to health and safety. However, we’ve chosen to ignore it, as when we’ve asked in the past they’ve said that the landlord told them to keep them there. We also had problems with the neighbours above jumping about exercising which they knew annoyed us but this seems to have stopped so we’ve chosen to pick our battles!

Whattodo20177 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:08:44

And I’m not going to post a picture because it will be outing and I’ve already had a bad experience with fucking daily mail.

Telstar99 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:09:14

Pic?

Of hall (and bike...)

Telstar99 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:09:50

How can a pic of a hall be 'outing?'

PinkFlamingo888 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:10:30

I don’t like Telstar’s attitude. I suppose you also leave bikes lying around haphazardly do you?

Whattodo20177 Thu 19-Oct-17 00:10:38

Worra yes, I’ve thought of that but how do I start the conversation and the expense? Any advice gratefully received.

WorraLiberty Thu 19-Oct-17 00:10:56

OP you don't need a pic

Do you think the neighbour would be allowed to attach a bike bracket to the wall?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now