Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think a rough smear test has caused some internal damage ?

(7 Posts)
Luncharmstrong Wed 18-Oct-17 21:58:56

Aibu to think a rough smear text may have caused some internal damage ?
I’m in my late 50s.
Had regular smears all my adult life. They don’t bother me in the slightest. Never painful .

Had one about 6 weeks ago.
The nurse scraped away for much longer than usual and for the first time ever it was sore . Not uncomfortable, sore. It didn’t help that she had an unpleasant manner.
To clarify, it wasn’t the speculum that hurt , it was the scraping.

I don’t suffer from vaginal dryness.

I bled a bit when I got home . I know this isn’t unusual after a smear but has never happened to me.

I was concerned that the pain might indicate something was wrong but the results were clear.

I have felt pain in that exact area ever since.
It’s not terrible pain but makes me nauseous and feel a bit faint .
I think there is something about the vagus nerve if stimulated that can cause nausea ?

Can anyone relate to this or offer advice? It’s getting me down.
Thanks.

RainbowPastel Wed 18-Oct-17 22:19:44

They use a soft brush now so I can't see how it would cause damage.

Dippingmytoesin Thu 19-Oct-17 09:40:44

YABU

Andro Thu 19-Oct-17 10:21:20

I thinks it's entirely reasonable to be concerned.

You had a procedure; you have pain now that you didn't have before, in a location that became sore during the procedure. While it may be a coincidence, it may not be.

After 6 weeks, I think seeking a doctor's advice would be a sensible course of action.

RochelleGoyle Thu 19-Oct-17 10:25:47

YANBU, don't know why someone above said you are! See your GP. You shouldn't still be in pain.

alizondevice Thu 19-Oct-17 10:31:56

YANBU. This happened to me. The GP doing the exam was very brusque and rough. I did make a formal complaint. Then I discovered that many other women getting smears from this individual suffered as I had. Not long after that, the GP left the practice. Do speak up, by all means. If you go back, make sure you see a different GP. I'm sorry you had this experience and hope you find some resolution. flowers

Luncharmstrong Thu 19-Oct-17 17:43:10

Thank you everybody.
I have considered making a complaint as it was completely unlike any other smear I have ever had.
I'm very unbothered by medical things and don't ever want to make a fuss but I would not like other women to I go through this if perhaps some retraining would help.
I will call the doctor in the morning as the pain is getting worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now