Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To quit this job after 6 months

(5 Posts)
alpenandbanana Wed 18-Oct-17 19:55:24

I've just gone back to work after birth of DC2, I'm a contractor in the creative industry, inherently quite stressful, working to client deadlines etc

I've been in a new role for a month, working 4 days a week. I was supposed to be running one element of a huge account, while proving overall strategic direction for the whole account. There was an experienced team who were good, just needing a bit of leadership; fine.

The issue is that by the time I arrived, all the most experienced people had either resigned/announced they were pregnant. So now I'm basically facing the prospect of having to singlehandedly manage an account worth nearly £2m with just two very junior people who need a lot of mentoring. Obviously they are recruiting but finding staff takes a long time as it's quite a niche area.

I don't want to let anyone down as I know they were hoping I would stay long-term but I'm feeling really stressed about what lies ahead. I've had this sort of situation before and it took everything out of me.

Would AIBU to tell my boss I'm not up for this/that I may not want to stay beyond my initial 6 month contract, or just see how it pans out?!

alpenandbanana Wed 18-Oct-17 19:56:06

PS I posted this in chat earlier but it was a quiet time of day, so hoping for a few more perspectives!

nikkylou Wed 18-Oct-17 20:07:42

I think first consider, if you want to stay there, and if it's just the fear/anticipation of the stress to come thats making you reconsider.
If you do like the job and want to stay, I'd voice your concerns and work with your management to come to an arrangement. They likely don't want to lose you if so many have gone and will likely want solutions. Im assuming the leaving staff are working some notice so can your juniors be trained up by them or even promoted to need less hand holding and take on nore responsibility. Emphasise that you need more staff with experience, are their other accounts you can 'steal' staff from?

AnathemaPulsifer Wed 18-Oct-17 20:09:26

I'd look elsewhere while continuing working there for now.

alpenandbanana Wed 18-Oct-17 20:46:00

Thank you. Yes it's mainly just the anticipation of what's to come. It's been okish so far, a few teething problems and generally adjusting to being back at work, but not too bad overall

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now