Talk

Advanced search

Do Male Violence and Teacher Complaint threads show similarities?

(46 Posts)
LateDad Wed 18-Oct-17 18:57:39

This looks a bit TAAT but I mean the wider issue.

There have been several threads about male violence and a similar number of teacher issues/complaints.

AIBU that it seems that similar power-groups post the shut-down NAMALT and YANAT (You Are Not A Teacher) comments?

Pengggwn Wed 18-Oct-17 19:01:09

Huh?

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 18-Oct-17 19:02:15

Erm, no.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Wed 18-Oct-17 19:07:01

No.

CosmicPineapple Wed 18-Oct-17 19:09:31

Read a few of both kinds of threads and I cannot see the connection OP

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 18-Oct-17 19:16:00

WTAF are you on about

chickenowner Wed 18-Oct-17 19:17:11

Sorry, don't understand.

PodgeBod Wed 18-Oct-17 19:18:01

There are a lot of issues that just can't be discussed on mn because certain users shut down any conversation at all.

Pengggwn Wed 18-Oct-17 19:20:36

PodgeBod

What does 'shut down' mean?

PodgeBod Wed 18-Oct-17 19:24:55

I mean if a poster has a dissenting opinion 10 posters jump on everything they say. That puts people off replying and getting a wide range of opinions.
I love this place regardless but there's definitely some topics I won't touch with a barge pole here.

Pengggwn Wed 18-Oct-17 19:26:48

PodgeBod

That is shutting down, it's engaging, surely? Shutting down is trying to stop them talking.

ludothedog Wed 18-Oct-17 19:28:58

No. I don't seem them as the same at all.

There is no excuse for male violence or for men using their power to take advantage of women.

Yes teachers have power over children and to an extent with parents. I think that it's my job as a parent to work with teachers in the best interests of my child. I suppose that some teachers may abuse their power over children and their families but I would hope that those teachers are in the minority. I do not believe that it is systemic like the abuse of male power has been over the years.

Your question is set up as if you think that teachers are the enemy?

PodgeBod Wed 18-Oct-17 19:29:58

When multiple people jump on one poster and pick apart everything they say that is shutting it down, realistically, and not many people are going to want to jump in the fray. You must have seen that happen on threads. It's often said that the first few posters set the tone on the thread and I do believe that's true.

Crunchymum Wed 18-Oct-17 19:30:01

What is NAMALT?

Mulberry72 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:31:33

Not All Men Are Like That

annawoolfworries Wed 18-Oct-17 19:31:40

Yes I think there is a similarity. To the point I can't bear to read those threads as they piss me off.

Pengggwn Wed 18-Oct-17 19:32:33

PodgeBod

But if the thread is on AIBU the poster has to suck that up. If you ask for opinions you can't complain when you get them, even when they aren't in agreement.

PodgeBod Wed 18-Oct-17 19:38:27

That's not really the behaviour I'm talking about Penggwn I mean more that if somebody agrees with the OP people who disagree might start ganging up on them. I'm seeing it a lot these days whereas I think there used to be wider variety of opinions shared.

Xeneth88 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:39:48

Bit early for drunked rambles isn't it?

Pickleypickles Wed 18-Oct-17 19:43:44

podge i totally agree with you. Some asks a question 10 people shout them down telling them are the most ridiculous person to have graced the earth and then anyone who might have agreed doesnt because they will receive the same response and lets face it, no one wants to set themselves up for a fall.

Pengggwn Wed 18-Oct-17 19:44:30

PodgeBod

I don't get what you mean by 'ganging up'. When I disagree with someone I say so irrespective of how many others also disagree or agree with them. If you post on a public forum you can't complain that you are put off posting further by other people replying to you. Providing posts aren't abusive (MN has some fairly robust community standards) it's perfectly fair for as many people who want to post to do so.

MillicentFawcett Wed 18-Oct-17 19:49:50

PodgeBod is just making a thread to counter the 'Has MN been invaded by MRAs?' one. PodgeBod thinks we can't see through that. Silly PodgeBod.

PodgeBod Wed 18-Oct-17 19:53:25

What are you on about Millicent? Not only have I not read that thread, I didn't start this one confused

PodgeBod Wed 18-Oct-17 19:56:11

Pengggwn that's your right to do so as it doesn't violate the sites t&c's but I personally think forums work better when we're all mindful of keeping discussion open

Pengggwn Wed 18-Oct-17 19:58:28

PodgeBod

Still not getting you. Disagreement doesn't shut down discussion unless you are being abused/intimidated. Choosing to back off because other people strongly (even forcefully) disagree with you is on you (the person who chooses to back off).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now