Talk

Advanced search

To be on edge when ds has friends round?

(4 Posts)
JustBeingJobless Wed 18-Oct-17 17:48:29

I know I am really, and I’d never stop him as he has ADHD and ASD and it’s really lovely to see him making friends at last. But I just cannot relax when there’s someone else in the house.

Since he started secondary school, there’s a couple of lads who will call for him. He’s not a fan of playing out so will invite them in. They’re lovely lads, no trouble etc but I just find it so stressful and I’m not sure why. I worry that they’ll tell their mums that the house is a mess (feels like it is to me as I’m disabled and limited how much I can do) and I just find it utterly exhausting having another child here, even though they’ve literally not come out of ds’s room the whole time. I’m a bit of an introvert at the best of times and prefer my own company, but I really wish I could chill out a bit as I know there’s going to be a never ending stream of hungry teenagers coming and going for a few years yet!

Laiste Wed 18-Oct-17 17:55:17

If it's any comfort at all there are loads of us here who stress about having their DCs mates round. For a whole variety of reasons.

[flower]

It sounds as if these lads keep their own company well though, and it's so good for DCs to have a relaxed social life where they can have friends over. By this age if they (the friends) hated the house they wouldn't come over.

Laiste Wed 18-Oct-17 17:55:42

flowers even!

JustBeingJobless Wed 18-Oct-17 18:40:40

Thank you. I know I’m being a bit odd and I’d never let ds know how I feel as I want him to feel he can invite people round instead of hanging around on the park, but I breathe a huge sigh of relief when they go. I just struggle to relax. My preferred position at the minute is flat out on the sofa as my back is horrendous, but I feel like I need to be up and doing things when anyone else is here (this is the same if it’s a friend of mine, but I very rarely have anyone found). I just see friends who’ve constantly got a house full of kids who seem so relaxed and chilled about it and I wish I could be more like them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now