Talk

Advanced search

Can't get a job

(42 Posts)
Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 15:41:59

It's rubbish.

Minimum wage and sometimes even they won't have me I have a degree.

But nervous breakdown and three years on not a sausage.

Sometimes I get low, really low.

Littlejayx Wed 18-Oct-17 16:20:47

Are you getting to interview stage? Or just application rejection?

Namechangetempissue Wed 18-Oct-17 16:23:44

Oh OP flowers
How do you feel the interviews are going? Are you nervous? Is there any chance of work experience in your chosen field to get up to date (I completely understand if you can't do this due to money).

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:01:42

I can't - no money and to be honest it looks worse somehow to do something for free I should be paid for!

I just feel like I want to be positive but I can't. I get interviews and not the job.

PurpleDaisies Wed 18-Oct-17 17:04:01

What sort of job are you looking for?

flowers it's really miserable not being able to find work.

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:06:03

It really is sad

Bubblebubblepop Wed 18-Oct-17 17:06:39

Do you have a friend or family member who is a hiring manager and can give you some interview practise? What feedback are you getting?

Getting interviews but no offers indicates they're happy enough to consider you but something is changing their mind at interview stage

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:07:29

I also lack recent experience.

Jellybean85 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:10:11

What field are you looking to work in? What was your degree? When did you get it

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:16:09

2002. In English smile

Ijustlovefood Wed 18-Oct-17 17:18:54

What type of area do you live in? I suggest volunteering somewhere for a couple of hours a week, perhaps somewhere you can walk to. This will help to build up your confidence whilst you are looking for work. Try to smile and believe in yourself at interviews (tough I know if you are feeling very low), you will get there!

Chchchchangeabout Wed 18-Oct-17 17:19:50

Would you consider doing some freelance tutoring? You could start outside office hours while keeping the day job. What are your strengths and skills, what kind of roles do you think you might be good at?

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:21:13

I've volunteered for a charity for a couple of years and tutoring is a difficult one, there's just not much call for it in my area. And plus it doesn't really help CV wise.

Ijustlovefood Wed 18-Oct-17 17:22:56

Maybe it's a confidence thing then or perhaps there is just a lot of competition? Good luck!

beachygirl Wed 18-Oct-17 17:25:57

What jobs have you done since graduating in 2002? Could you apply in the same field(s) so you can show experience, even if not that recent. Plenty of people have career breaks on their CV.

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:26:52

I know beachy but you'd think they didn't as it's preventing me moving on.

It's a mess and I'm trying not to get despondent.

Katescurios Wed 18-Oct-17 17:27:09

Are you able to travel for work?/if so what about functional skills tutoring, companies like babington group, learndirect have regional tutor roles ad long as your willing to do a qualification while you work.

Are you lookingfor a job related to your English degree or are there other roles that interest you?

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 17:28:33

I have no experience in any of those roles, is the problem.

MancLife Wed 18-Oct-17 17:53:16

Why not look at manual labour or the service industry? No point being unemployed for years because other jobs are not what your degree links to.

Katescurios Wed 18-Oct-17 17:55:09

Everyone has t start somewhere, its your task to show that even without experience you have the skills, competence and confidence to do the job.

What type of job do you want?
What work experience do you have?
What is happening when you apply, are you getting to interviewinterview?

dontbesillyhenry Wed 18-Oct-17 17:58:18

Do you have any local women's centre/community centres that are able to offer interview coaching? It's a skill and a bit of coaching can really help you sell yourself

Oakshollie Wed 18-Oct-17 18:01:03

I'm not unemployed. Have a minimum wage job. It's just so hard thinking this is all I'm probably going to ever do.

Mxyzptlk Wed 18-Oct-17 18:09:00

to be honest it looks worse somehow to do something for free I should be paid for!

I don't think it does.
I think it shows willingness to get up-to-date in the job area you want, gives you recent experience and could provide you with someone willing to give you a reference.

Holidaysweets Wed 18-Oct-17 18:15:22

How about a blog on the side? A good blog that has a lot of time and work spent on it can generate some extra income. You mentioned doing an English degree so you might be interested in writing and a blog would be a good way to showcase you skills and hopefully open up future opportunities.

RavingRoo Wed 18-Oct-17 18:35:21

Some really good ideas. You’ve poo pooed each one. Only you can help you. If you’re too scared of rejection to reach out and get help from recruiters then you won’t get a job you like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now